The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-21-2023, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Windham Hill Artists

I'm wondering how many here miss all the Windham Hill artists that used to flood our Christmas with acoustic instrumental music? For background, this from Wikipedia:

"Windham Hill Records was an independent record label that specialized in instrumental acoustic music. It was founded by guitarist William Ackerman and Anne Robinson (née McGilvray)[2] in 1976 and was popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
The label was purchased by BMG through a series of buyouts from 1992 through 1996. It is now a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment, following Sony's acquisition of BMG Music in 2007. Private Music, also a subsidiary of BMG, has issued some back-catalog releases under the Windham Hill Records imprint. Since the Sony merger in 2007, Windham Hill has released no new material but reissues albums and compilations as part of Sony's Legacy Recordings brand."

And now being the Winter Solstice, I sure miss Will Ackerman & his team, especially this time of year. The Winter Solstice series was phenomenal! Many got their start there, including Michael Hedges, Liz Story, Alex DeGrassi, & so many others! It's good to get out all the old CDs & give them a play. (if you can find a CD player these days)
Steve
Old 12-21-2023, 11:35 AM

Alex DeGrassi was my main influence. I have an autographed copy of Slow Circke from a gig he had with Daniel Hecht at McCabes in Santa Monica. I played that album repeatedly fora few years. Hecht signed his album and cut his thumb in the process.
I saw Ackerman at McCabes and the Great American Music Hall in SF.
Pianist Bill Quist was there and got a guest spot at GAMH.
I saw Davud Qualey somewhere along that trip.

Seeing Michael Hedges with Darol Anger and Mike Marshall as the opening act was
quite amazing.

I went to DeGrassi camp three times. He became a friend and was the officiant at my wedding in 2016.

I remember the first time I heard Turning: Turning Back at a friend's house soon after it came out.

George Winston playing the upright piano at McCabes is another fond memory.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

It’s a tradition here - and an old hobby. My wife and I have collected 25+ CD’s and a half dozen cassettes of holiday music. A handful include Windham Hill artists. Or “close enough “.

Today marks the beginning of my playing them. I have half a dozen CD and cassette players around this and our little place near Galax.

I love the variety of interpretations. And the various countries and associated musicians.

I am looking at the Traditional Carols CD from WH right now. “guitars and other stringed instruments “.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 12-21-2023, 11:49 AM

Me!

I still have a lot of WH Winter Solstice CDs and I've found what I can from Spotify for streaming.

Some of the Christmas arrangements on these albums are just too good not to be played during this time of year.

and not just guitar stuff. while I love it, I also ppl like like Jim Brickman, and Liz Story as some of my favorite composers/arrangers.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Windham Hill hit when I was running the record store in the 80's and I had pretty much the entire catalog and went to see the live performances whenever they were nearby.

The music was great and the recording quality even better. The vinyl was done really well too with nice packaging.

I still have about half of it I'd say.

I met Michael several times and hung out with him after a show for quite a while one night. Ran into Mike Marshall at the Denver airport (Darol not far behind with the cases on a gurney. He came over and said "I'm Mike Marshall, I know I'm supposed to know you" - I said "no, I'm nobody, but I know you!!"
He must have a great memory because we had met briefly about 10 years previous.

We had a good laugh.

I think I'll pull out a few of the CD's tonight - thanks for the reminder. Possibly my favorite of all was the first Nightnoise album - I saw them in a very small venue at a local university in about '85. IF YOU CLICK "WATCH ON YOUTUBE" IT WILL TAKE YOU TO IT.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:56 AM

The first CD I ever bought was the 1984 Windham Hill Sampler and was my introduction to many of their artists. Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries was the first song.
I've seen Alex DeGrassi, Scott Cossu, Shadowfax, and George Winston live. All great.

"Aerial Boundaries" and G.W.'s "Autumn" were both big influences on me. That era had a bit of magic about it.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 12-21-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:11 PM

When I was at UCSC, last century, I took over hosting the 'Spirit Healer' slot, which was a 'new age' show/format. It was two hours of music and one hour playing a weekly interview we leased from New Dimensions Radio (interviews by Michael Toms).

We had classified the whole Windham Hill label as New Age music. Any/every artist from that label was played. Still enjoy listening to William Ackerman, Michael Hedges and Michael Manring.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 12-21-2023, 12:13 PM

This recent thread contained a lot of Windham Hill discussion.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
The first CD I ever bought was the 1984 Wind Hill Sampler and was my introduction to many of their artists. Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries was the first song.
I've seen Alex DeGrassi, Scott Cossu, Shadowfax, and George Winston live. All great.

"Aerial Boundaries" and G.W.'s "Autumn" were both big influences on me. That era had a bit of magic about it.
I think had that same CD. Changed my world for the better when I realized there actually more ways than one to tune a guitar and make it sound great.

December was and still is one of my all-time favorite GW albums.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

An alternative group was Narada: David Lanz, Kostia, Tingstead and Rumble, Michael Gettle, Wayne Gratz, Paul Speer, etc. Michael Jones’ piano version of Good King Wenceslas is a certifiable classic.
Old 12-21-2023, 01:55 PM

Windham Hill caught on early around Seattle. At least three artists from this area ended up on early WH records (Linda Waterfall, Kidd Afrika, Scott Cossu).

My duo opened for Montreux in 1987. I'd been listening to Anger/Marshall for over a decade since they were in David Grisman's group. Thrill city!

I always liked the Christmas/holiday songs done by WH artists more than anyone else. They weren't overproduced with layers of synthesizers.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-21-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I have enjoyed WH music especially this time of year --- for decades now.

Surprising and refreshing, like a splash of cold water, is George Winston's solo piano album, "Night Divides the Day - The Music of the Doors."

Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek blurbed, "Great work. I love this CD. You've captured the Doors' essence and added your own unique voice. Congratulations."

RIP, GW.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Though I'm a guitar player, I think Liz Story's Christmas album "The Gift," became my most played CD of all time! Such creative phrasing, and the intros to "What Child is This" and "We Three Kings" make all other versions sound like they're missing something! To this day, when I hear another version of these songs, I think to myself, Wait ... you forgot the best part!!
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 12-21-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:34 PM
Musical minimalist

a little off topic - but if you guys are into Windham Hill stuff it's not a far stretch to one of my fave Christmas recordings. Thought some of you might like it.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:25 PM

Two weeks ago at our weekly Open Mic in Half Moon Bay, CA, a guy walked in and said it was the first time he'd ever played in public. We assured him all would be fine.

He took the stage and covered three Michael Hedges tunes without missing a note! Absolutely incredible!

You never know who you're going to meet an Open Mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN