The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-24-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If this hadn't been the Beatles I think it would have met a short, unnoticed demise.
This^^^ is kind of my reaction to the song, too.

In a recent phone conversation with one of my brothers, he was going on and on about what a great song this was, so I thought, okay, I'll spend some time listening to the new Beatles song.

It sounded like John Lennon's music during his early 70s "Imagine" phase, and that is music that never attracted me and that I still don't care for today.

The best I can say for this song is that "It's okay." Nitram, above, summed it up pretty well for me. It's certainly interesting how they resurrected this song from an old cassette tape, but the music industry has been doing stuff like that for years.

- Glenn
Old 11-24-2023, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

The negative vibe on most of these posts is disappointing. It’s amazing hearing a new Lennon tune 43 years after his murder, with a little help from his friends. There is actually less distance between these final three recordings and the last Beatles’ Abbey Road recordings (26 years) than there was between Abbey Road and 1963’s Please Please Me (only 6 years). They were constantly evolving, and due to circumstances, this is the evolution.

Most importantly, like the 70s Red & Blue compilations and the 90s Anthology recordings, another whole generation (or more) gets introduced to the Beatles. What’s wrong with this?

Perhaps you guys would prefer Revolution 9.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11-26-2023, 12:15 PM

This is the Timmy Sean version here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1316658525648695
Old 11-26-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
The negative vibe on most of these posts is disappointing. It’s amazing hearing a new Lennon tune 43 years after his murder, with a little help from his friends. There is actually less distance between these final three recordings and the last Beatles’ Abbey Road recordings (26 years) than there was between Abbey Road and 1963’s Please Please Me (only 6 years). They were constantly evolving, and due to circumstances, this is the evolution.

Most importantly, like the 70s Red & Blue compilations and the 90s Anthology recordings, another whole generation (or more) gets introduced to the Beatles. What’s wrong with this?

Perhaps you guys would prefer Revolution 9.
Exaggerate much?

I'm a huge Beatles fan, I play guitar because of seeing them on Ed Sullivan, but the band (officially) broke up in 1970.

It absolutely gutted me at the time! But, life moves on.

I tried to enjoy Lennon/McCartney/Harrison solo. For me, a few great songs, a lot of decent songs, but NO BEATLES SONGS.

This just reminds me too much of some of the unearthed stuff that came out of the Hendrix estate (Jimi = another huge influence for me). I just couldn't imagine the artist okaying the release if they were alive.

Let them rest in peace!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-26-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I tried to enjoy Lennon/McCartney/Harrison solo. For me, a few great songs, a lot of decent songs, but NO BEATLES SONGS.

Mostly agree, but when Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey came out I thought it was the Beatles, not just Paul.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:16 AM

I have to say I MUCH prefer this version. Proper Beatles sound.
https://youtu.be/2tSefoJDKsU?si=PirrtU0fAkHdD_Pf

Last edited by srick; 11-27-2023 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Embedded Your Video
Old 11-27-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
I have to say I MUCH prefer this version. Proper Beatles sound.
I like that performance too! It points out is how much the post-production work can change a song for better or worse.

I just got Disney+ and for the first time am viewing the 'Get Back' documentary: What an amazing window into the creative process this film is.

IMO, you really needed Lennon and McCartney working together to create the magic. Everyone contributes to the effort, but the back and forth that they achieve, coupled with their ability to edit out the detritus is what really made the music work.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:09 PM

Thanks so much for that, I never was a Beatles fan but this was very touching. And to hear Paul say how much he appreciated the others was great. I think hes right. It took all of them for the magic of the Beatles to happen
Old 11-29-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with the song, but if I never hear it again (unlikely!) I won't miss it. It does not have the magic that was the four of them writing and recording together in real time. So I don't consider it a Beatles song, to me it is John's tune finished up with a little help from his friends. Just IMHO, YMMV, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN