The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Default Opinions on Tascam DP008?

Looking for input or experience with a Tascam DP008. Going to use it exclusively for recording a single acoustic guitar with a pair of Rode NT1A's. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 AM

I love the DP-008, with a few exceptions which will be noted below. I had been using a Zoom 16 track that was built like a tank but it didn't have a usb port, so everything had to be burned to disk to transfer.. man that was a pain. The DP-008 has a usb port that makes exchanging data a breeze via its import/export tool. It's easy and fast.

The DP-008 has pretty good onboard microphones which work well in a pinch and have good sound. I use them even when using other microphones..

Now, the card has a tendency to fill quickly, so maybe an hour or two of audio is all you will get before it is full. It has never bothered me except when my old college guitar friends come down and we end up playing for 8 hours straight and miss getting some really good spacey stuff on tape..

But, the machine is easy to use, the sound is good. Good reverb choices, and with the tube pre-amp the acoustics really sound nice.

My main nit/quibble is that the DP-008 does not come with a 5v power supply, so you need to buy one. When using it like I do, it eats AA batteries like a 600 pound guy at a buffet.

Get the power supply, and have fun. It's a good little unit. Hope this helps!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

What dusty said is right on the money.

Very easy to learn and a very good sound.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Anyone know if the DP 008 would be able to handle recording 2 xlr inputs plus one line input simultaneously? It looks as though it can't, which is off-putting, in which case, can anyone point me at some likely candidates?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

I was using Tascam DP-02, which I STILL really like, but it is limited to recording only 2 tracks simul...

I got Zoom R16 - 16 tracks, 8 simul, all XLR or 1/4, 2 48-V phantom.

But, I'm just getting into it, haven't recorded anything yet...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD