The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 09:59 AM

Default Correcting years of bad guitar posture and "couch slouch"

I'm realizing that I've done myself a huge disservice over the years by doing 90% of my practicing on the couch. I have a real nasty habit of slouching back and sort of laying the guitar across my hips when I do. The practical effect of this is that I'm a much better guitarist in this position, which doesn't translate neatly to sitting upright and holding the guitar properly.

I do a little bit better playing Spanish style, but it still isn't a perfect translation.

Obviously the answer is to correct my bad habits and to only play "correctly" moving forward. Has anyone else been through this before? It's awfully aggravating, especially since it would have been so easy to prevent.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:09 AM

It might be worth seeing a physical therapist and working on some exercises to improve upper back strength. Or even trying yoga. Yeah 30+ years of hunched over a computer cant be fixed easily.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:07 AM

Have you tried playing standing up, with a strap, lately?

I had to relearn how to play after a radial nerve injury and a significant change in bodyweight/proportions (long story) and whilst standing up was uncomfortable and alien at first, it was worth pushing through that as it made me seek the neck up, free left arm (not elbow on leg as I was in the bad habit of doing) when I eventually let myself sit down again.

It was basically self-correcting once I forced myself to habituate practicing whilst standing up.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-01-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I have a real nasty habit of slouching back and sort of laying the guitar across my hips when I do. The practical effect of this is that I'm a much better guitarist in this position.....
I hear you. I could have written this. Now I have a hard time playing when I'm sitting up.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:34 AM

Consider doing some daily stretching exercises.

As far as playing guitar goes, there are some nice guitar chairs available. Also, as mentioned, you can try playing standing up using a strap (that's what I do now).
Old 07-05-2022, 08:17 AM

I hear you. I've spent the last few years hunched over and resting my left fretting hand elbow on my knee and being lazy. What horrible posture! Now that I'm back playing with other people at church I have to bring my a game. I used to hate standing up with a strap. Now I have no choice. I did buy a short 24" wooden stool to see if that would help out, (bad knees). It's a battle for me to shake off all those bad habits (and there are many). Standing seems to really improve/remind me to pay attention.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I mostly play sitting on a straight backed chair. I was always bent forward for a different reason, my eyesight. I couldn’t read the songs on my iPad or small font on printed pages. I recently had cataract surgery along with lasic and a lens implant. Now my corrected focal length is about 16”-20” from my face. The hardest thing I struggle with is remembering I don’t need to lean forward anymore. Old habits are hard to break but I’m starting to get it.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:29 PM

Play in front of a mirror and monitor yourself.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:03 PM

My most comfortable positioning for guitar is seated on a swivel seat (chair-height) with no back to distract. Standing with a strap is good posture, even to play classical orientation.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:48 AM

With advancing age, my lower back has become problematic. I researched and found a couple of yoga exercises that help. Rowing is also very good for it.

I'm another "standing and playing on a strap only" guy for both electric and acoustic now.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 07-09-2022, 05:58 AM

Couch Slouch. Why is everyone so against it? I'm an old guy who has no dreams of playing Carnegie hall, sitting upright in a proper posture. Slouching on the couch is what I do for several hours a day. Shed the big dreads and get some small body acoustics. Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2022, 01:32 PM

For a few years now, I have been in the habit of playing sat down. I usually play in acoustic sessions that are seated, and at home its much like reading a book, something I do to relax so sitting comfortably is part of it.
However , I now have chance to play onstage with others, standing is essential without looking odd, and I'm having to learn to stand and play all over again.
Its difficult!
Old 07-09-2022, 01:46 PM

I'm of the mind that whatever position you're comfortable with, and you're enjoying playing, is fine for you. If you're playing classical guitar or see yourself as "Joe Pro" playing for the masses, you should do as you please accordingly. But in my experience, playing guitar is definitely not a "one size fits all" proposition...YMMV. etc.

Myself, I'm 72, and only been playing about as long as I've been on AGF...in the beginning, I tried to comply with all the advice about the "proper" seating position, how to hold my fretting arm and hand, how to hold my pick, etc.

What I've found, is that if I'm comfortable, and my playing makes me happy, I'm fine.

I've even been known to adopt what I call the "Laid Back Willie" position from time to time...

willie1.jpg

Last edited by Denny B; 07-09-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:06 PM

One of the best things you can do to improve that and prevent disability is to buy a Roman Chair and use it regularly. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:29 PM

You can try the "neck up" leather guitar support. Very comfortable and can be used with either knee. Have owned them for years and it helped with my posture.(two back surgeries).

Check it out.

www.neckup.com

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion