The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 08:49 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Update :

Uncertain as to the positio0n, but knowing that Collings are quick to respond to customer queries, I wrote to them asking. This is an extract that I got in their reply :

While we did shut down for a short time during the start of the pandemic, we have continued producing instruments since we returned to the shop only a few weeks later. We did come back with a reduced crew size, meaning less instruments overall and a much stronger focus on Collings versus Waterloo. That said, we have continued to build Waterloos, albeit in very small numbers.

Combined with that, demand all around has increased significantly, which is an industry-wide thing, and the lowered production combined with higher demand has resulted in longer lead times. Order lists for Waterloos, in particular, became so long that we decided to stop accepting new Waterloo orders until we could catch up on current orders. With the lowered production and such a long list, though, we have not begun accepting new orders through dealers, and there is not yet a timeline on when that might happen. Due to this situation, much of what’s currently being built in the Waterloo line is presold, and we are not currently offering the WL-AT or WL-M.

Bruce recently retired after spending a long time training our head of production, Steve “Nully” Nall, to takeover many of his responsibilities.

Collings is still family-owned by Bill’s wife, and we have a fantastic team of three in charge of running everything: Steve, Clint, and Ruth, all long-term Collings people who knew Bill well and worked with him every day for many years.

I hope this helps,

The reference to Bruce Van Wart is because I knew that he had been the "secret master" of the thicknessing of Collings Tops for so long. Sad to see him go, but I hope he has a long and happy retirement.
Thanks, Andy! Glad someone was wise enough to go to the source. Great first-hand info.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:06 AM

Yes good info from Andy. I've heard similar news via the Waterloo Guitar Enthusiasts group on Facebook.
Worth joining for any that don't already know about it, it's a private group so no scammers (or if there are they are swiftly removed) and Waterloo's do come up for sale on there. Worth joining alone just to share info and ogle others peoples 'loos imo.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:12 AM

Sounds dangerous....Facebook Waterloo group....

Nothing to do with anything really but I was watching Yellowstone tv series and looked up Youtubes of Ryan Bingham, who appears in the series, but also has a hand in the guitar playing singing we hear.... and surprise of surprises, he has a Waterloo WL -14 of some ilk but with a soundhole pickup and tone controls cut into the guitar.....

BluesKing777.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks for that!

Did the WL-S models come with a big V neck option like the WL-14s or just a thinner neck as the original design?
I don't know so what he said.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 AM

FWIW, a brand new Waterloo WL-S Deluxe is available at Dusty Strings.

https://store.dustystrings.com/p-480...-s-deluxe.aspx
Old 06-26-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post

I’d bet money that this sells today.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I’d bet money that this sells today.

I’m here to collect… still there!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

OMG! I still can't work out how come it costs so much to copy old cheap factory made guitars that sold for $15 to $45.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:07 AM

I am really happy I made my snap decision to get the WL-12 MH in Jan of 21. I have only seen maybe one or two of them for sale online since I got it. It was sort of interesting, I went into Gryphon planning on getting a Taylor 5/6/8 or perhaps a Martin 28. This was back when you had to make an appointment and everything was sanitized and insanitized.

Anyway - I played five or six assorted Martins and Taylors and then noticed this sort of dowdy parlor-ish guitar on the racks. I'd had a very fine Martin mahogany-topped 000 before, so it intrigued me. From the first strum - notwithstanding the sort of grungy strings - it just sang to my in exactly my pitch. For some reason a smaller, 12-fret seems to be my sweet spot. I've got three and they're all precious to me.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:27 AM

Default Waterloo Current Production

https://imgur.com/a/tRg7TNZ

Reunited with this WLK again this morning. Why I let it go in the first place I'll never know!

Last edited by jontewright; 06-30-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
OMG! I still can't work out how come it costs so much to copy old cheap factory made guitars that sold for $15 to $45.

I believe labour costs account for a significant portion of it.

There is a video of Bill Collings going through his shop and stopping in on someone shaping a bridge. He asks him how much time he’s spent on it and he says about 20 mins. Bill then replies that they can be done in 3 mins but then it’s not a really good product at the end. He also briefly goes into how the necks are made and shaped and openly admits that it’s not the most efficient way to make them but that way they only make what they need. The WL-S DLX also has the hand rubbed finish which also adds time and more cost.

It’s the little details that drive up the price and also improve the finished product.

It’s something that some people don’t value and others greatly value.

Put me in the latter half.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I’m here to collect… still there!
I’m shocked but clearly I was wrong. I’ve never seen one of these sit on the market for long.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
https://imgur.com/a/tRg7TNZ

Reunited with this WLK again this morning. Why I let it go in the first place I'll never know!

It’s a beauty!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I’m shocked but clearly I was wrong. I’ve never seen one of these sit on the market for long.
$4,250 is a bit steep for a ladder braced cherry guitar. You could buy a player 1930s L-00 for that money.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
$4,250 is a bit steep for a ladder braced cherry guitar. You could buy a player 1930s L-00 for that money.
I agree. I’ve said it again and again, Waterloos made a lot more sense to me when you could get them for $1500.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion