The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 08:46 AM

I have heard before Martin is no longer honoring warranties for binding issues.

I have also heard this was temporary due to back log.

Another one out there floating around is Martin service centers are refusing binding issues because Martin doesn't pay enough to cover their cost.

But you know how rumors can be, best to contact Martin or a Martin certified service luthier.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-01-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I heard that Chris Martin IV was abducted by aliens.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Anyone here knows if there is a "before/after" timeline so newer Martins will not be affected? I have read contrasting information on this.
I've had this problem on my custom shop 00-45 (2012). As far as I was told, this is not an easy fix at all, besides the additional complication posed by the abalone trim. In fact it needed two repair jobs by two different luthiers here (the first was unsatisfactory). After the second (very expensive) cure it now seems perfect- hoping it will last.
My concern, thence my original question, is I also have two newer (2019) Martins, and do not know what to expect...
Old 07-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardTuning View Post
I would be interested to hear if anyone has any insights into what percentage of Martins have a binding issue. I have a 2018 OM28 that (so far) has had no problems. It’s a great guitar; I feel lucky that I bought it.
There's no real way of knowing. Based purely on reading forums, it seems pretty high, but unless Martin releases stats (which I'm sure they never will) we have no way of knowing.

That said, my 2014 seemed just fine until March when it went kind of all at once.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Anyone here knows if there is a "before/after" timeline so newer Martins will not be affected?
We really don't know... definitely a known problem from about 2012-2016, but I've heard of it being a problem on newer instruments too.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I didn’t ask Martin directly, but I asked someone who is a longtime authorized Martin repair person, and he said Martin’s service department is backed and is being very selective about the warranty repair work that they will take in directly. If a guitar has a repair issue under warranty (i.e., to the original purchaser) and a loose binding is a repair issue, it’s still covered under warranty, but more likely Martin will want the authorized repair person/shop to make the repairs rather than sending it to Martin.

In terms of it being an ongoing issue, even if Martin solved the issue 5 years ago, given that Martin made ~600,000 guitars in the affected years, there are potentially tens of thousands of guitars in the those years that could have the issue. There seems to have been a big wave a while back, but I would expect a trickle of repairs to be needed for some time.
For what it’s worth, this particular shop claimed they repaired over 50 of them, most under warranty, in 2021.
Full disclosure: They are a regional warranty dealer.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I have heard before Martin is no longer honoring warranties for binding issues.
Friends who work in the industry have told me -multiple times- this is just not true. This rumor usually arises from a second or third owner being turned down because they are not the original owner (as per the warranty).
Old 07-01-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

They made a lot of guitars with the glue they used for binding in the four years during the twenty teens. My 2014 had the issue and was promptly and professionally repaired by my Martin dealer and in less than a week. Was it 2012 to 2016? If I were buying a used Martin of this era, I'd take it into consideration, unless proven it had been repaired.

You don't have to buy a Martin, just remember you won't be playing one either.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-01-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
leew3 and I just had three done a couple of months ago by an authorized shop under warranty.
As far as the ongoing binding issue…it’s ongoing.
As an aside, if it’s so easy to fix, why wasn’t it done right in the first place?
Martin gets no slack from me.
If I recall correctly, you're in central Ohio? Do you mind if I ask where you took yours for repair? I've been in contact with Guitar House Workshop in Columbus about mine.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:23 PM

Regrettably,this is the reason I will no longer buy a Martin. Martin no longer backs up issues because of defective glues and inadequate support for aftersale problems. MyTaylors, Larrivees, and Goodall show none of this inferior workmanship.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-01-2022 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Need charter membership to discuss selling
Old 07-01-2022, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I just received my Martin back for binding repair. Martin absolutely is standing behind their product. Yes, they are so far behind at the factory repair they've had to throttle returns.

I live in Nashville so it was no problem finding a martin authorized repair person to do my binding repair. Got it back last week and it looks great.

Bill
Old 07-01-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
This rumor usually arises from a second or third owner being turned down because they are not the original owner (as per the warranty).
I fully recognize that my expectations here might be unreasonable, as they are only formally on the hook for whatever is directly covered by their warranty, but this still rubs me the wrong way.

When vehicles have a recall, all of them are eligible to be fixed, regardless of whether they are on their first or fifth owner. This is clearly a widespread manufacturing defect, and it doesn't sit well with me that a bunch of secondhand owners are now stuck with guitars that Martin, quite frankly, failed to build correctly.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I fully recognize that my expectations here might be unreasonable, as they are only formally on the hook for whatever is directly covered by their warranty, but this still rubs me the wrong way.

When vehicles have a recall, all of them are eligible to be fixed, regardless of whether they are on their first or fifth owner. This is clearly a widespread manufacturing defect, and it doesn't sit well with me that a bunch of secondhand owners are now stuck with guitars that Martin, quite frankly, failed to build correctly.
You raise a very good point, although safety is an issue with many auto recalls. I would love to be a fly on the wall at Martin’s boardroom when your point was raised, as Im sure it was. Brand reputation is to be taken very seriously in the expensive guitar world. Its not the problem, but rather how you deal with it that matters. With used prices being what they are right now, this matter would definitely figure into price negotiations on any late model Martin I would consider.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion