The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM

I'm the latest member of the John Slobod Appreciation Society. I just nabbed a new-to-me OM28 that is superlative in every way possible. The thing that kills me is that even though this guitar is exactly what I was hoping for in my next guitar, I find myself thinking: "Hmmm... I don't have a OO. Maybe John can build me one..."

Congrats on the upcoming build. Look forward to seeing your build pics and posts, as always.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Another John Slobod fan here. Here is my OOO-12c. Perfect in its aesthetic simplicity & the tone.....

Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Another John Slobod fan here. Here is my OOO-12c. Perfect in its aesthetic simplicity & the tone.....
http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...a-guitars.html

...Same one?
Old 08-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

It appears that my build slot has come up after 2.5 years. My tastes, thinking, and collection have evolved somewhat since I originally played John's ebony backed 00-12 at HGF 2011. I've landed on a very traditional OM build - adi top and Madagascar RW back and sides. I've asked John simply to build his best pre-war OM.

A first for John, I think, we are going to attempt a style 30 design using some colorful purflings. This was inspired by Howard Klepper's use of style 30 on my Schoenberg as well as a Klepper OM-33 I played.

I think the build will begin in the next week or so. I just need to select a set of back and sides (I'm going for simple straight grain, quarter sawn) and a back strip and we're off to the races.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 AM
Charter Member

So, now you're onto something like this? I'm sure you'll love it.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It appears that my build slot has come up after 2.5 years. My tastes, thinking, and collection have evolved somewhat since I originally played John's ebony backed 00-12 at HGF 2011. I've landed on a very traditional OM build - adi top and Madagascar RW back and sides. I've asked John simply to build his best pre-war OM.

A first for John, I think, we are going to attempt a style 30 design using some colorful purflings. This was inspired by Howard Klepper's use of style 30 on my Schoenberg as well as a Klepper OM-33 I played.

I think the build will begin in the next week or so. I just need to select a set of back and sides (I'm going for simple straight grain, quarter sawn) and a back strip and we're off to the races.
Congats on the "almost" start of the build...that is a long wait, I can't imagine as I thought 6 months lasted forever for me. I hope you have lots of fun with the build and it comes out exactly as you have been imagining it to be.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I suppose you don't need me to tell you that I'm a big fan of the builders inspired by Martin's golden era work, and John is no exception. I'm pretty excited for you!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

The top purfling will look like this, although we may put a half herringbone on either side to make a zipper. Howard Klepper was kind enough to donate this amazing purfling since I'm a former customer. Thanks very much, Howard!

This is my Klepper/Schoenberg.

We may end up making it look like this.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-24-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

That would look sweet. I like a traditional herringbone but that added color looks really cool. I have a build with John that is still a ways out but am torn on a German/Mad Rose vs German/Hog OM so I will be watching this one closely. Keep the updates and pictures coming!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

From Robert Corwin's site about some of the more unusual Martin styles:

http://vintagemartin.com/styles27_30_34.html
Old 10-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

John and I had one of many long conversations we've had over the years today. He's fun to talk to and generous with his time. We nailed down the final specs for my guitar, which he will start as soon as the backstrip arrives.

For the most part, it will be a Style 30/34 hybrid, with a few minor changes for my specific tastes.

Model: OM with Venetian cutaway
Top: Red spruce
Back and sides: Madagascar rosewood
Rosette: Style 34 with inner/outer rings and and a pearl in the middle
Backstrip: Style 30/34 (from Howard Klepper, thanks!)
Binding: Ivoroid
Purfling: Style 30/34 (from Howard Klepper, thanks!)
Back purfling: Black with maple line
Side purfling: None
Endgraft: Ivoroid, boxed with end pin
Neck: Solid mahogany, medium C profile with EVO gold fret wire (tall and wide!)
Headstock: Solid
Head plate: Dark Brazilian with torch inlay
Nut width: 1 3/4"
Saddle spacing: 2 5/16"
Fretboard inlay: Style 42 snowflake
Fretboard binding: Ivoroid
Head binding: Ivoroid with black/white line
Tuners: Nickel Waverly
Bridge: Ebony belly
Bridge pins: Bone
Pick guard: Small tear drop
Coffee case

I've given John no real input on the sound other than to ask him to build with his favorite vintage Martin inspired sound and response. And we have decided to build with no truss rod.

Here is a picture of the Madagascar rosewood set . . .

Old 10-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

What is the advantage of no truss rod?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
What is the advantage of no truss rod?
I should correct my statement. It will have a truss rod (graphite) but the truss rod won't be adjustable. The main advantage is light weight and a more balanced feel (not neck heavy). Maybe there are tonal benefits but it would be hard to say (at least for me). I've owned two guitars with non-adjustable rods and love the feather weight.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I had (rightly or wrongly) understood the use of neck reinforcements (e.g. ebony, T-bar, carbon fiber etc.) to be different than a "truss-rod" in terms of their purpose. Carbon fiber serves to stiffen the neck to resist the load of the strings. A truss rod not only provides stiffness, but also provides a method for establishing adjustment for relief. I have guitars where the neck is both reinforced with CF inserts and has an adjustable TR system to vary the relief as needed. Relief seems to be a fugitive attribute over time and with seasonal changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I should correct my statement. It will have a truss rod (graphite) but the truss rod won't be adjustable. The main advantage is light weight and a more balanced feel (not neck heavy). Maybe there are tonal benefits but it would be hard to say (at least for me). I've owned two guitars with non-adjustable rods and love the feather weight.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

No, a truss rod is anything added to stabilize the neck. It can be adjustable or not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop