The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I find GC to be just like lots of other big box retail. It's hit or miss. Some good, some not so good. I've had more good than bad so here's a little love for GC.
That sums it up for me. I've been to GC's in different parts of the U.S. and have had mostly positive experiences. Their employees have always treated me well and I've never had any issues with with returning merchandise, if I changed my mind about a purchase. My biggest complaint about GC is that they don't always take good care of their "better" acoustic guitars, but that varies from store to store. I used to be a regular at the Arlington Heights, IL store and I thought that one was excellent.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
You’re making a sweeping assumption there, Jim. You had a bad experience with that particular Guitar Center, but that doesn’t mean all of them are run that way. In my experience a great deal depends on the attitude of each individual store’s manager. Those Guitar Center stores that are run by good managers are great.

Wade Hampton Miller
Agreed 100%.

I usually make it a point to get to know my local store manager and several sales people as well.

They all know me and know that when I'm shopping for a particular item that involves considerable expense, by the time I walk in the door I've already done all my reading, research, checked out reviews and pricing and that I'm there to deal, not just a tire kicker.

Armed with those tools, I can generally get what I'm looking for at some type of discount. I also have no problem walking away and waiting until next month either.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM

My local GC is fine, but I'm not going to assume all the rest are fine.

If someone else's GC is poor, I'm not going to assume all the rest, including my local one, is poor too.

If I ever had a bad experience at my GC, although I may post about it, I wouldn't expect everyone else to avoid theirs on my behalf.

It makes no sense on any level to paint all GC's with so broad a brush.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
It makes no sense on any level to paint all GC's with so broad a brush.
While I completely understand what you're saying in one sense, I disagree in another. I can easily see how a bad experience like Jim had with two separate Guitar Center employees would paint the company as a whole in a bad light to him, as employees are representatives of their company. That just goes to show you how important it is for employees to be sincere with people and responsible, and if you do mess up to apologize and make it right. If not, not only do you lose that potential customer, but then they share their story with others and the bad press gets spread.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
While I completely understand what you're saying in one sense, I disagree in another. I can easily see how a bad experience like Jim had with two separate Guitar Center employees would paint the company as a whole in a bad light to him, as employees are representatives of their company. That just goes to show you how important it is for employees to be sincere with people and responsible, and if you do mess up to apologize and make it right. If not, not only do you lose that potential customer, but then they share their story with others and the bad press gets spread.
Still painting with a broad brush and that's ok if you make that your personal and private opinion. It's when you go on a forum like this one and categorize all of GC as being a certain way because of your experience with two employees...nope doesn't work for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Still painting with a broad brush and that's ok if you make that your personal and private opinion. It's when you go on a forum like this one and categorize all of GC as being a certain way because of your experience with two employees...nope doesn't work for me.
What I was trying to communicate was that although it may not make logical sense to "paint with a broad brush", that's what's going to happen when employees "misbehave" and cause upset customers (or potential customers). It's understandable and predictable (because emotions get involved when one feels they've been ignored, disrespected, or otherwise mistreated by store reps), irregardless of the "logic" of it.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM

I used to have a Guitar Center and a Sam Ash in my area, a few blocks apart.

Only GC remains.

I preferred Sam Ash, really. They seemed to employ musicians...the local GC went for more of an image thing.

Now, there's another guitar center a bit further away that has a great, knowledgable staff. It's also much less busy than the other, I worry about it's longevity...

But yeah, not all GC's are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 AM

I go to wal mart a couple times a year even though its about a mile or 2 from me. I get enough Mobil 1 Synthetic and filters to do all the cars for 6 months.Nobody can beat it. I wish guitar center had something I needed that I could not get delivered for less. .
Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
It's Retail Stockholm Syndrome. The predatory practices of the behemoth companies drive enough Mom & Pop stores out of business that eventually people are just grateful to have the Big Box that killed them. Welcome to the future. Free shipping!

I love this post. Very well said. That's all.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Well I enjoy going to the local GC as well as Sam Ash. They are both within a mile of each other where I'm at. I typically go in there to recon any good used acoustics and to play the new ones.
It's all hit and miss, they are no different than any other chain box store. Some are managed better than others. I've run across some really nice acoustics in these stores and some that were not treated so well, either by the consumer or the employees. Most of my experiences have been very positive. I'm glad that they are both in town.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:57 PM

I’m not GC’s biggest fan, but i have had both good and bad experiences with them.
I’m in the Kansas City Metro. There is a GC in Independence, MO and one in Overland Park, KS.

I’ve been to both stores and one, I still frequent. The other, I haven’t been back and don’t intend to go back.
That store was dark, dingy, and dirty.
I pulled several guitars off the wall. Not one of them was even close to in tune.

The best thing that happened was that no one came and bothered me while i was trying it to find a guitar to play.

The store that I frequent, has a knowledgeable staff. It’s clean and well lit.
The staff gets you settled and then pops back to check on you at about 15 minute intervals.
I buy a few accessories in there. I have also bought two very good guitars at reasonable prices.

Is it my favorite store. No. But I have two great little shops where everyone knows my name. They call me if something they know I might like comes in.
I also have Mass Street Music the same distance away as the GC. I much prefer them.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Something that often gets overlooked in all the GC-bashing is that prior to their spread most Martin guitar dealers didn’t have much depth of inventory: usually there’d be a couple of D-28’s, a D-18 and a D-35, maybe a couple of HD-28’s and a 000-18 if you were lucky.

Yes, there were exceptions to that, with great stores like Mandolin Brothers and Gryphon Stringed Instruments, but those places were rare compared to the mom ‘n’ pop shop Martin dealers. The arrival of Guitar Center stores completely changed things insofar as making a far wider selection of different models available.

whm
Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 PM

I have always preferred to shop at my
local guitar shop mom and pop., well just pop i guess.
we have a GC as well. My lgs doesn't get
things like Aer compact 60 amps. Years ago
i wanted one and they just couldn't or wouldn't
get one for me. I went to GC and they ordered
one up right off. So they have (not unlike Walmart) this
huge buying ability. But they are the mcdonald's
of the music store world. And i tend to use my
LGS much more than GC. Even though GC is 10 mi
closer. Their 40% take on your consignment
items Is a bit over the top. I suppose it keeps
used inventory down considerably.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM

About a year ago, I took a couple of my guitars to Guitar Center for cash or in-store credit. They gave me an offer much lower than I was expecting. They would not negotiate. They also photographed me in the store as if I were selling them stolen merchandise. In the past, they had been more generous with me, but that was before I'd heard rumors of their financial difficulties. This experience led me to sell guitars on eBay instead.

Impatient with my recent internet guitar listings, I recently brought in two more guitars to have Guitar Center appraise, and they gave me a more reasonable offer. They even went higher when I haggled with them.

While they were inspecting my instruments, I went inside their acoustic room. I played all the guitars that caught my eye which were within reach. Then I looked over the pricier guitars located high on the wall. I planted a stool under one and balanced on it with one foot. As I pulled the guitar from its bracket, the stool's seat abruptly rotated independently of its legs, twisting my ankle. With luck and agility, I managed not to fall or drop the guitar.

Next year, I plan on going back there and and buying a $700 acoustic 12-string, unless I find it significantly cheaper online. They still have a great return policy.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

If you know exactly what you want and they have it, GC is OK. If you need help, good luck.

I had a friend that probably dropped $10K a year on guitar and recording gear. He got great service and prices. He dealt with the department managers only. Got great trade in prices because they knew he was on a constant upgrade path. PRS guitars, Manley preamps, $1K plug in suites, etc. He was a VIP walking in the door.

I however asked to see a low watt bass amp I wanted to use in my home studio. Didn't need more than 100 watts. Had a twenty year old telling me I needed 500 at least. Asked him if he was aware of how many hit songs were recorded on the old Ampeg flip tops. Answer? Today you need to be louder.

Played on Gibsons a lot in the acoustic section. Never once did one have fresh strings. I go to GC if I just have to have something now. I go in, grab it, pay and leave. But I cringe when I see a parent in buying a guitar for their kid, or a retired guy wanting to take up guitar. When asked, I try to steer people to a store like Gryphon. Now this can be intimidating for a noob. But I tell them these people care, understand you don't know anything, will have something that fits your budget, and won't be junk. Plus you get a guitar set up to play, not torture.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion