The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Hi pagedr...

As someone earlier suggested go down to your local PO give them the tracking number and explain your concerns...they have the ability to get a better look on it within their system than you can.

How was this sent? Priority Mail or USPS Retail Ground? If it was truly sent Priority Mail, it should have been to you by now, and something is amiss. If it was the Retail Ground method, it should have made it much farther than it is now, so either way, there is some issue going on here.

You need to move quick...and you need to try and involve the seller if you can as well...they should also care about how this is going.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Martin View Post
I would start by calling USPS then depending on the response, if you can get one, I would go to your USPS office and see if you can get an answer. I haven't bought anything from ebay for a few years now, but you may consider filling a complaint through them before time runs out. I assume the seller had lot's of positive selling reviews?
The seller had about 15 reviews (all positive) when I purchased, but looking now it seems he's had a couple of negative reviews in the last few weeks. One for canceling an item after the buyer purchased, the other for shipping an incorrect item. I sent him a message earlier about the shipping issue, and his response basically amounted to: "Weird, this has never happened before, you should reach out to USPS about this."

For those who've ever run into a similar issue on eBay, at what point do I just ask for a refund? I called USPS and they weren't able to give me any more info than what's on the tracking page, I guess I just don't know what the policy is on eBay (or other sites) when an item has been shipped but is taking an eternity to arrive.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM

Does the tracking info not give the expected delivery date? Ask the seller if his receipt shows it...mine always do. What service was used, Priority Mail? If so, I'd be a bit concerned, because that should only be 1-3 days to most locations. Maybe also ask the seller to verify the shipping address from his actual USPS documents.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Does the tracking info not give the expected delivery date? Ask the seller if his receipt shows it...mine always do. What service was used, Priority Mail? If so, I'd be a bit concerned, because that should only be 1-3 days to most locations.
It showed an 11/9 expected delivery date initially, but once the day passed it never updated with a new expected date. Just shows the package as "in-transit". It was shipped USPS Retail Ground though, not via Priority.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
It showed an 11/9 expected delivery date initially, but once the day passed it never updated with a new expected date. Just shows the package as "in-transit". It was shipped USPS Retail Ground though, not via Priority.
Let's just hope that it got mis-routed and is just taking the long way home to you! I'd still double-check what address he gave to USPS, though, to be sure there's no typo that could have thrown a wrench into the works...

If it's any comfort, the only package I've ever had that literally never arrived was via UPS. USPS has always gotten it there, although several times we got a mail carrier who scanned it as delivered when it wasn't (had to retrieve it in person from the local post office), but that showed up on the tracking info, so I knew something was up.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 11-15-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM

I've had this type of thing happen several times with USPS, especially with Parcel Select service and more often in the winter months.
In those instances, USPS tracking would show 'in transit to destination' for up to a week, with no updates of any sort, and then the package would pop up in a sorting facility not far from the previous location. As I recall, once the package showed up again in the system, in most cases (but not all) it started moving more quickly to the destination.
Sounds like your situation is similar, and so I think it's likely that you will eventually receive the package.
You can file a 'lost package' claim at the USPS site, but in my experience those don't really help matters. (I did that once and USPS notified me a month later, saying the package had been lost, despite the fact that they had delivered it a couple of weeks earlier.)
You can file a report with eBay by going into your purchase history and selecting 'i haven't received my item'. Doing that will at least let eBay know about the issue and, if the package doesn't arrive after a specified date, ensure you get a refund.
Like I said, though, my hunch is that your package will in fact arrive at some point.
Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 PM

If you paid via PayPal I would start that claim ASAP. I hope it all works out for the best
Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Martin View Post
If you paid via PayPal I would start that claim ASAP. I hope it all works out for the best
I would wait. It has obviously been shipped. Be patient for another few days. You can start the claim anytime.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
My experience with USPS tracking is that it's not even close to real time and I've received my article says before the web site shows it being delivered...
Great (usually) service but horrible on-line tracking and technology. I have an account as I ship a lot. My current "history" log stops at Oct.1 and I ship daily. I can't even look up my own tracking numbers for items shipped to others.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I bought a fiddle on Reverb from a fairly well-known Nashville shop. They chose to ship it Parcel Select (which is the old Parcel Post) which doesn’t guarantee a delivery date. It took over a week to get from Nashville to Maine, and the tracking showed it went to three places in Tennessee before leaving that state for a total of five days. It is my understanding that they wait until a truck is full before sending it on. What should have been four days at the most took more than double that time period, and it was very difficult to discern where the package was, where it was heading, etc.

If the seller used Parcel Select it could be a while before you receive the package.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
I bought a fiddle on Reverb from a fairly well-known Nashville shop. They chose to ship it Parcel Select (which is the old Parcel Post) which doesn’t guarantee a delivery date. It took over a week to get from Nashville to Maine, and the tracking showed it went to three places in Tennessee before leaving that state for a total of five days. It is my understanding that they wait until a truck is full before sending it on. What should have been four days at the most took more than double that time period, and it was very difficult to discern where the package was, where it was heading, etc.

If the seller used Parcel Select it could be a while before you receive the package.
Correct. I have seen this happen. The question always is, how long do you wait until you make official inquiries? I think I would alert someone in addition to the seller about this. You can always let them know if and when it arrives.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Correct. I have seen this happen. The question always is, how long do you wait until you make official inquiries? I think I would alert someone in addition to the seller about this. You can always let them know if and when it arrives.
Yes...at this point you should notify ebay, so they can be aware of it, which will make it easier if you need to file a claim through them.

Also...ebay will contact the seller and let them know that there is an issue. It is actually the sellers responsibility to keep on top of this situation...per ebays customer service guidelines...and frankly, because it is the right and proper thing to do...and I say this as an 18 year ebay seller.

Alas...they did appear to send it "Parcel Post" no matter what they try to call it these days, so it will take a "drunken moth flying" route to you, as they will only move it along, when the shipping container it is in becomes full...and they have these odd rambling routes that they use to gather up all the packages, as they ship from Parcel Post "hub" to Parcel Post "hub". The likelyhood is that the instrument will indeed make it to you. In the 18 years I have shipped via USPS for ebay...and that is many many thousands of packages...I have NEVER had them lose one...not one.

Keep in mind too...that not even counting normal mail...USPS ships more packages in one day than UPS and FedEx COMBINED do in one week...and that may be an even bigger difference now that USPS is clogged up by Amazon deliveries. That is also part of the problem now...USPS is just overwhelmed by Amazon.

Hang in there...but do contact ebay.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 11-16-2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add content
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Looking at all the members here who say USPS tracking more or less sucks, I guess I've just been lucky, because my USPS tracking info (mostly Amazon orders) has always been detailed and accurate (with one exception where a relief driver scanned a package as "delivered" when he really took it back to the station because he was called in). I sign up for text alerts and I get notified every time it arrives at a new destination and leaves there and then I get alerts when it's sorted at my local post office and out for delivery. Not sure what else one could want.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Looking at all the members here who say USPS tracking more or less sucks, I guess I've just been lucky, because my USPS tracking info (mostly Amazon orders) has always been detailed and accurate (with one exception where a relief driver scanned a package as "delivered" when he really took it back to the station because he was called in). I sign up for text alerts and I get notified every time it arrives at a new destination and leaves there and then I get alerts when it's sorted at my local post office and out for delivery. Not sure what else one could want.
I don't think anyone says it "suck" all the time but many of us have seen where the tracking doesn't make sense now and again. Like everything else in our world, it's not perfect, nor are the people inputting the information and handling the packages.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM

I ship alot of packages via Priority Mail at the USPS (none of them guitars). I have been fairly happy with the delivery service. Most packages get delivered on time, without incident. I've only had a few packages lost. I have had several packages completely damaged, sometimes looking like they were run over by a truck.

USPS has been very good handling insurance claims for damaged packages. Refunds came fast without argument. Only problem, they DO NOT refund the postage for damaged packages, so I'm basically out $9 - $10 dollars when they damage a package.

My experience with the tracking system - it sucks. Often it is updated long after the package was delivered. I don't even bother to supply the tracking number to my customers, unless there is an actual problem.

Lately it seems like the prices go up everytime I mail something. It was $3.50 for a small envelope standard mail that was less than an ounce, because it was over 1/4" thick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion