The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Default (Gasp!) It broke!

My sweet wife came to me with tears in her eyes this morning... "I know how much this means to you - I'm so sorry! I didn't do anything out of the ordinary..." Her voice trailed off as she held out her hand.

"It's not a big deal - I have others." I tried to assure her.

She then said, "I know you said this one is lighter and feels different... the glossy finish. But you waited months for this."

I thought back to when I opened the box with the X10 in it: "This is something special."

What? The X10? No, it is fine. But, the mug that came with it... the handle broke off into 3 pieces. The first mug I got was a lagniappe, something given as a bonus or gift. It was very early in the "buy a guitar, get a mug" program from Emerald. It was before any mention of "the mug" on this forum. And certainly before the "welcome to the mug club" posts. That mug is fine. It is sturdy, has a stamp pressed in from the maker, kind of an irregular shape and matte finish. The second mug (that came with the X20 Select Series) is, likewise, sturdy, but more refined. This newest one is lighter weight, a glossy finish, and a much thinner handle, even though the volume is greater; it feels like a production mug (no hand-pressed stamp) as opposed to a hand-made one. It may be a finish choice by the maker, but it looked like a craquelure finish right out of the box.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not looking this "gift horse in the mouth." The mug doesn't change the guitar experience. I realized how much the mug has become associated with the Emerald experience in just a few years. This is that "lagniappe" I mentioned earlier. Emerald could choose to discontinue the mugs at any time (as a cost-cutting measure) and it wouldn't change how I feel about the guitars.

My dear wife knows how enthusiastic I am about my Emeralds. She was really heartsick about this mug. I felt bad for her that she equated it so much with the guitar and was concerned that I would think she was anything less than careful about hand-washing it. Certainly not the case.

She is handy - said she will use something to fashion a new handle (I don't think just glue will fix this). Around the house, she does the plumbing stuff when necessary, I do the electrical and brute force stuff. This past week, we worked together to repair the dryer. We're a good team.

Just a little tongue-in-cheek this morning... kinda like the thread a while back about an Emerald having a "humidity issue" when the sticker inside came off. I think I'll go play some guitar for my Honey.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Sorry for your loss Captain....RIP Mr. Mug
Hopefully it will be a good pencil holder if the new handle don't work out.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I understand, although you have taught me a new word today.

When I bought my first Collings way back in 1999, the dealer presented me with two bone china mugs with their logo on.

the first one went pretty soon after, but the other lasted until the logo had all but disappeared, but still I treasured it.
Then, finally it died - can't remember how but it was consigned to the black bin of forgetfulness.

Not that important but a little memoir of a happy transaction.

I have a rather large English vocabulary - and now I have another word, but I doubt that "lagniappe" is in common usage here in the British Isles.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sorry for your loss Captain....RIP Mr. Mug
Hopefully it will be a good pencil holder if the new handle don't work out.
Exactly what Joan thought.

------

Silly Mustache, glad to help with the vocabulary expansion... although your posts are always well crafted.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 AM

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 AM

While I sent my X20 to a new home, I kept the mug, a nice memory of a great transaction and company(neck didn’t work for me). My sister in law broke the lip off the mug, so I feel your pain Captain!
I too am still enjoying my guitar journey in spite of the setback
Old 10-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Guest 928

I know that a free guitar comes with each mug, but when that mug breaks I would demand my money back.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:14 PM

Condolences. I've clanked mine from the X20-12 into Alice's X7 mug (they sit together on the kitchen counter and I use mine daily).
So far - knock on wood - no damage, but I will be more cautious going forward.

A little work with a Dremel tool might remove the vestiges of the broken handle. It will still work as a mug even without a grab-handle.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Mugging for the camera!!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Jim,

Got an idea. I volunteer at an archaeology lab near here. The lab technicians’ mending skills with Colonial ceramics are pretty amazing, even if pieces are missing. If they can’t fix it up no one can.

PM me if interested.

Or maybe there’s a lab near you?

Res

“There’s no end to what I don’t know”
Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I know that a free guitar comes with each mug, but when that mug breaks I would demand my money back.
Dang Evan! You nailed it.
You must have a law background!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Hey Unc Evy... did you notice what my mugs are sitting on...and no.. not the furry stuff.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Jim,

Got an idea. I volunteer at an archaeology lab near here. The lab technicians’ mending skills with Colonial ceramics are pretty amazing, even if pieces are missing. If they can’t fix it up no one can.

PM me if interested.

Or maybe there’s a lab near you?

Res
Thanks for the offer. Joan plans to tackle the repair... I'll be playing my guitar.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Two days ago I received a replacement for the original mug that came with my X20 sixteen months ago. The first one had developed a crack from the lip and down through the body after a few months. I waited months after Brian (the maker) offered to replace it but then did contact him and am glad to now have the replacement. I thought it was a "stand-up" thing for him to do.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 AM

It's the sword of Damocles, the delicacy of this Emerald mug. I'm going to cut the hair and be done with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber