The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Question Pre-Peavey CA Cargo vs Peavey CA Cargo

Hi,

I am new to the carbon fiber guitar world
I got my very first carbon fiber guitar (Emerald X20) in June this year.
But thinking hey maybe I will get travel size one day.
Reading through the threads, I see praises regarding pre-peavey over peavey cargo. Just wondering what the difference is between the two? (specs, sound, volume, playability etc)

Also, where do you buy them?

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 10-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

Albirw;

I've heard lots of praise for the pre-Peavey Cargo, but I've not heard anyone argue that the pre is better than the post. I've had both and think that Peavey has done a great job of improving what was a great instrument to begin with. The original had some quality problems that would pop up once in a while, but Peavey spent a lot of time working those problems out before allowing the guitar out of the shop.

I don't know who carries the Cargo, but you might want to check LA Guitar. That's where I bought my first Cargo. If you make contact, say hi to Ted for me. We're not buddies but I respect his business.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Good selection of Cargo's on Reverb.com and they pop up in the AGF classifieds on occasion. Mine is a post Peavey Carbon burst and it's one of my favorites. The playability of the previous version X7 was better with the longer scale, but I preferred the tone of the Cargo. I'd like to hear it compared to the new X7.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:27 PM

I never noticed much difference ... more string and setup differences I would dare say.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
Hi,

Also, where do you buy them?
Can't speak to the pre/post issue. I found my Cargo in stock at Elderly, so was able to try it out. When I first saw it, I was very skeptical, since it is pretty durn small. But fell for it on the first strum.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

My three pre-Peavey Cargos are in fine shape. I had heard about some quality problems with these guitars. However, if you bought from a reputable dealer who checked each guitar before putting it out for sale, there shouldn't be any issues. I know that The Podium, where I bought my Cargos, sent a number of them back for quality issues. Marty inspected every guitar that came in from CA Guitars, so I doubt that any sold by The Podium would have exhibited those issues. I am sure other dealers would have done likewise.

I have only played one Peavey Cargo. The one thing I noticed with it was that the fretboard seemed narrower, the strings somewhat closer together. I prefer a wide string spacing, and my Cargos all have that. A number of folks in the old McNichol carbon fiber forums posted that they would have preferred a narrower fretboard (particularly where it "flared" out up the neck), but I really took to the Cargo from the first strum, always liked the really short scale, and still play mine regularly. I treat the Cargo as a 12 fret guitar that has reach farther up the fretboard if absolutely needed.

I don't think a sample of one is enough for me to have any real impressions of Peavey Cargos, so that is really about all I can say on the matter, other than that price has gone WAY up since I bought mine.

The reasons I tend to play my Cargos more than my wood guitars, would apply equally whether I had pre or post Peavey instruments:

1. No concern for environmental issues such as the guitar drying out and cracking during the winter heating season. I can leave these laying around, ready to pick up and play any time.
2. The Cargo, in particular is a very comfortable instrument to play. With its small molded size and shape, it conforms to the body in ways a wood guitar can't, and its short scale is very easy on the fingers.
3. I have good quality Moody straps for each of my Cargos. Using a strap, the guitar is always in the position I prefer, with the neck up as classical players do, whether I am sitting or standing. I don't want to carve up my Huss & Dalton with strap buttons or pickups, so playing it I have to use either a footstool or guitar support device. With the Cargos, I just grab and go - nothing simpler.
4. I don't know if this is true of the Peavey guitars, but my Cargos all have top quality Gotoh 510 miniature tuners and stainless steel frets. There is quite literally nothing to ever wear out on them except the occasional string change. Back when I bought my Cargos, I also bought enough spare parts for them (tuners, bridge, nut, string pins) so I can repair or replace with original parts as needed. I had a sense these guitars were too good to be true, especially at the price back then, and I was right!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Great write up Tony.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Guest 928

Excellent vision Tony. You saw the Cargo for what it is and stocked up nicely.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
My three pre-Peavey Cargos are in fine shape. I had heard about some quality problems with these guitars. However, if you bought from a reputable dealer who checked each guitar before putting it out for sale, there shouldn't be any issues. I know that The Podium, where I bought my Cargos, sent a number of them back for quality issues. Marty inspected every guitar that came in from CA Guitars, so I doubt that any sold by The Podium would have exhibited those issues. I am sure other dealers would have done likewise.

I have only played one Peavey Cargo. The one thing I noticed with it was that the fretboard seemed narrower, the strings somewhat closer together. I prefer a wide string spacing, and my Cargos all have that. A number of folks in the old McNichol carbon fiber forums posted that they would have preferred a narrower fretboard (particularly where it "flared" out up the neck), but I really took to the Cargo from the first strum, always liked the really short scale, and still play mine regularly. I treat the Cargo as a 12 fret guitar that has reach farther up the fretboard if absolutely needed.

I don't think a sample of one is enough for me to have any real impressions of Peavey Cargos, so that is really about all I can say on the matter, other than that price has gone WAY up since I bought mine.

The reasons I tend to play my Cargos more than my wood guitars, would apply equally whether I had pre or post Peavey instruments:

1. No concern for environmental issues such as the guitar drying out and cracking during the winter heating season. I can leave these laying around, ready to pick up and play any time.
2. The Cargo, in particular is a very comfortable instrument to play. With its small molded size and shape, it conforms to the body in ways a wood guitar can't, and its short scale is very easy on the fingers.
3. I have good quality Moody straps for each of my Cargos. Using a strap, the guitar is always in the position I prefer, with the neck up as classical players do, whether I am sitting or standing. I don't want to carve up my Huss & Dalton with strap buttons or pickups, so playing it I have to use either a footstool or guitar support device. With the Cargos, I just grab and go - nothing simpler.
4. I don't know if this is true of the Peavey guitars, but my Cargos all have top quality Gotoh 510 miniature tuners and stainless steel frets. There is quite literally nothing to ever wear out on them except the occasional string change. Back when I bought my Cargos, I also bought enough spare parts for them (tuners, bridge, nut, string pins) so I can repair or replace with original parts as needed. I had a sense these guitars were too good to be true, especially at the price back then, and I was right!

Tony
Thanks Tony. Just another question I would like to ask (if you are aware of it), if there is any tonal /volume difference between a raw finish cargo & a gloss finish cargo. Anyone knows?

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tony. Just another question I would like to ask (if you are aware of it), if there is any tonal /volume difference between a raw finish cargo & a gloss finish cargo. Anyone knows?
I don't remember any ..
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see this question sooner...

As I recall, there was a tonal difference between the original Cargo road tough finish and the other finishes, but not between the other finishes. I would assume that to be true with the Peavey models too, but I can't say that from actual experience as I can with the older models. I don't believe that Peavey offers the road tough finish, which was a bit more expensive in the original Cargo lineup.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:31 PM

In my endless buy/sell of guitars, I've owned both an original CA and Peavey Cargo. If Peavey really did re-engineer the necks to be more stable and have a higher bridge saddle after set-up as they claim, then I would definitely buy the Peavey version. I did not own them at the same time so I guess that diminishes this advice somewhat, but I concluded they sounded the same.

I do think a RainSong CH-PA is a better travel choice even if it is an extra 2.5" longer than a Cargo. It is full scale and much louder.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
In my endless buy/sell of guitars, I've owned both an original CA and Peavey Cargo. If Peavey really did re-engineer the necks to be more stable and have a higher bridge saddle after set-up as they claim, then I would definitely buy the Peavey version. I did not own them at the same time so I guess that diminishes this advice somewhat, but I concluded they sounded the same.

I do think a RainSong CH-PA is a better travel choice even if it is an extra 2.5" longer than a Cargo. It is full scale and much louder.
I have heard of a number of folks having trouble with their pre-Peavey Cargos, but have not experienced that myself. All three of mine were set up by Marty Reynolds at The Podium, and have plenty of saddle. I have not experienced any issues with the necks on mine either.

It seems to me, based on my own experience and what I remember reading both in these forums and at the old MacNichol forums, that quality control must have been quite an issue with the pre-Peavey CA Guitars. Whether that was just the Cargos or others in the product line, I don't recall. I do know that Marty inspected all the Cargos that came in to The Podium, and I recall him telling me that they sent a number of them back.

So I assume, but can't prove, that it depends on where you bought it, whether the particular shop did that kind of inspection or not. Of course, my theory could be blown when somebody steps up and says that s/he had these kinds of issues with a Cargo from The Podium. In that case, maybe I am just extremely fortunate. Whatever the case may be, since I have not had all these troubles with mine, I should hang on to them because they are among the "good ones", however many or few are out there..

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I have heard of a number of folks having trouble with their pre-Peavey Cargos, but have not experienced that myself. All three of mine were set up by Marty Reynolds at The Podium, and have plenty of saddle. I have not experienced any issues with the necks on mine either.

It seems to me, based on my own experience and what I remember reading both in these forums and at the old MacNichol forums, that quality control must have been quite an issue with the pre-Peavey CA Guitars. Whether that was just the Cargos or others in the product line, I don't recall. I do know that Marty inspected all the Cargos that came in to The Podium, and I recall him telling me that they sent a number of them back.

So I assume, but can't prove, that it depends on where you bought it, whether the particular shop did that kind of inspection or not. Of course, my theory could be blown when somebody steps up and says that s/he had these kinds of issues with a Cargo from The Podium. In that case, maybe I am just extremely fortunate. Whatever the case may be, since I have not had all these troubles with mine, I should hang on to them because they are among the "good ones", however many or few are out there..

Tony
My ‘08 Cargo RT is fine as was my ‘08 GXi (sold it in ‘12). My recollection of the problem Cargos had (and perhaps other models) was that QC issues emerged late ‘09 and into ‘10 (maybe solved before CA closed in ‘10, but not sure), so that period is the range to be cautious about if buying used. Someone please correct if the time range is inaccurate.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-02-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
My ‘08 Cargo RT is fine as was my ‘08 GXi (sold it in ‘12). My recollection of the problem Cargos (and perhaps other models) was that QC issues emerged late ‘09 and into ‘10 (maybe solved before CA closed in ‘10, but not sure), so that period is the range to be cautious about if buying used. Someone please correct if the time range is inaccurate.
That may be the case. My Cargos are from 2006 and 2007 (or was it 2007 and 2008?), and then the last one from when CA Guitars went out of business, as one of the last that The Podium received from them. It was after I got my first two that I started seeing posts about problems with the Cargos.

Since I don't intend to sell mine (just as I didn't intend to sell my condo during the real estate debacle), I am not too worried about used prices for these guitars. Hoever, blanket statements about the issues don't do those who might want to sell, any favors. So being able to nail down the problematic years would be a good thing all around.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber