The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
My guitar had a small separation of the binding, about a 2 inch length, in the lower bout. It was repaired at a shop in San Antonio, closest Martin service center, under warranty. It looks good as new. I love the guitar and think you will also. Best of luck with the purchase and new friend.
Well TheDrake, it's happening to mine also. I've only 5 days into it now. And like you, it's about an 2 inch separation, lower waist.

The frustrating part of it is
(1) I just bought a 1977 D-18 pretty cheap knowing that I was going to have all of the necessary repairs taken care of by Bryan Kimsey. Neck reset, very minor bridge lift, too much neck relief and a full Kimsey overhaul and "hop up". It has already shipped.
(2) I had to sell off a nice mint Rock N Roll Relics Thunders at a substantial loss to fund the new 2014 Martin ProMo series. I was responsible for shipping this one too.
(3) Although I have a lifetime warranty on the new 2014 CS ProMo, I am bummed that I am going to have to box up and ship yet another guitar.
It's a brand new leftover from a close Martin dealer. I watched them unbox it, take the case out of the plastic and the guitar out of the case.
(4) Now if I go ahead and contact Martin warranty service about the issue (btw was just registered online last night) I'm going to be without both of my Martin guitars for most likely 6 months. Not to mention all these guitars are leaving Texas in 30 degree temps. Not ideal conditions for traveling in UPS trucks.

TheDrake, should I wait to contact MCS /warranty Dept. Or wait to see if the top side Boltron binding will be next or even more?
I know Martin is aware of the problem with the glue used due to EPA regulations. However I also think that part of the problem is shrinkage of the binding.

If you had great success with a local luthier in San Antonio, did Martin pick up the expenses for the repairs and touch up if needed? As you can tell, I'm really in uncharted territory here. But I am reading everything I can find on this subject.

If I had my rathers, my choice would be for the Martin factory to assess it, contact me and hopefully be done with it and no future problems.

Any thoughts on the matter that you could give me!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 PM

Treble and bass sides back waist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion