The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Default 2014 Custom Shop Promo Series I Martin D28

Can anyone please tell me about the 2014 custom shop promo series 1 Martin D28? Looking to purchase one..maybe.

Forward shifted scalloped bracing?
Got rid of the black pick guard
Open geared tuners
Wider nut than standard d28?
Cream binding no herringbone
Is there aging toner on top? The one I’m looking at has a beautiful golden tint on top but I’m wondering if it’s aging toner?

Thank you!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I have one of the version 1 models I suppose because mine has standard placement scalloped bracing. Tortoise pick guard, open geared tuners, 1 3/4" inch nut. No aging toner on mine. Standard gloss top. The only D-28 I kept thru trying almost everyone Martin built. HD-28/HD-28V/D-28 Marquis and several other custom shop varieties. Can't remember the saddle spacing but it's got to be a least 2 3/16"...probably a bit more. I measure but my luthier/tech has it installing a K&K Mini and doing a new setup. It's a great guitar. Way different than the older or newer "reimagined" 2018 D-28. I can highly recommend you at least try it. I think you'll be pleased...best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have one of the version 1 models I suppose because mine has standard placement scalloped bracing. Tortoise pick guard, open geared tuners, 1 3/4" inch nut. No aging toner on mine. Standard gloss top. The only D-28 I kept thru trying almost everyone Martin built. HD-28/HD-28V/D-28 Marquis and several other custom shop varieties. Can't remember the saddle spacing but it's got to be a least 2 3/16"...probably a bit more. I measure but my luthier/tech has it installing a K&K Mini and doing a new setup. It's a great guitar. Way different than the older or newer "reimagined" 2018 D-28. I can highly recommend you at least try it. I think you'll be pleased...best of luck!
Those are great specs! I’m happy to hear no aging toner! I’ll post pictures when I get it.

Thx
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 PM

What was the reason Martin decided to do custom shop promos like this one for 2014? Were they running different models as a test to see what buyers wanted? Or is it typical for Martin to produce some custom runs?

Does it say custom shop anywhere on these?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

I'll have to look when I ge it back but it either has "Custom" or "Custom Shop" stamped on the neck block?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by D280818 View Post
What was the reason Martin decided to do custom shop promos like this one for 2014? Were they running different models as a test to see what buyers wanted? Or is it typical for Martin to produce some custom runs?

Does it say custom shop anywhere on these?
Since 2011 or so Martin has done several short runs like this. In this case they may have been testing the waters, but they often want showcase what the Custom Shop can do.

FWIW, I've seen a few of these for sale in recent years, usually in the $2,200 range give or take, similar to the price of a used HD-28V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'll have to look when I ge it back but it either has "Custom" or "Custom Shop" stamped on the neck block?
By 2014 they were using the "Custom Shop" script logo. I would expect your guitar to have that on the neck block.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:56 AM

First time poster, consistent lurker.
I went out looking for my first Martin yesterday. From a small town without a Martin dealer, the closest being 75 miles away. I was really pressed for time but had an idea of what I wanted. Or so I thought. The smaller independent store would be closing in less than 2 hours so it didn't leave me much time. I told the salesman I had a D-28 & HD 28 in mind. Questions arose as far as budget, as they have quite a few models for a smaller store. I was handed a Adiorndac 17 series dread first (a gentleman before me had just played it before I arrived). Wish I could have remembered exact model. It was actually kind of nice. Next we both tried out a 2017 D-28 and HD28 must have been a V had that neck. Those two did I did not gravitate to at all. They just didn't have the sound for me. Then the magic happened. It was a NEW 2014 D-28 Custom Promo B package. Wow we both played it. A/B'd it back and forth with the standard D-28. At first he could not really hear much difference as much as I. A little more listening and I believe he was actually started to hear what I was. So time was running late and remember, I am still window shopping. Back at the front counter we discuss pricing and chit chat about the Custom and I believe he was just as amazed as I was with it.
No, I did not buy on the spot. This one has been there since '14, so I really don't see it going anywhere. PLUS there is at least another upstairs maybe two!
My bad if this has been so long winded, but my question is, can anybody explain what the package B means? IIRC this one had the sealed back tuners. Not butter bean style. I have looked at a couple more online and see that type I has the Waverly?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! I believe there are four models in this custom run. The specs improve as the numbers increases (1,2,3,4) across the board. Four having an abalone rosette and a long cut thru style saddle I think.Odd thought that the number 2 model would have closed back tuners if my 1 has open back?
Regardless, it's a great guitar to my ears. And I've owned pretty much all the stock (and a few custom shop model) D-28 variations Martin made in the last ten years.

Last edited by llew; 10-28-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 AM

The B has the long cut through saddle for sure. That was one of my concern. Not so easily modified to lower the action if one were need it. I did look down the neck, quite a bit of relief. He did a quick adjustment, got better action real fast. But it was right at closing time.
Spec and option not a deal breaker for me. It is a wonderful guitar as all have mentioned here. May no need to play a horde Martin's to get the cream of the crop, maybe, just maybe found the right guitar from the git. Pun intended.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Well...I'd see what else they had but I can highly recommend the 2014 CS promo series.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Ilew, thanks for the info and advise. I do believe you are right. The only other one I will play before I buy will be the other still boxed one(s) left in stock. Will post pics when it's mine!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Happy NGD in advance. Which ever one you choose I'm sure it will be a winner!

Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM

I bought a 2014 Martin Promo Series Custom Shop D-28, Package A as a new, old stock a year or so ago. I absolutely love it. It sounds exactly like a Martin should to my ears. Before I bought it, I was planning to buy an HD-28, but when I A/B the CS against the HD-28 and the D-28, I liked the CS more. It does seem to have served as a prototype for the new 2018 D-28, with open back tuners, a 1 3/4" nut and tortoise pickguard. They look very similar. Mine appears to have an aged finish top, which is not on the build sheet (for the Package A but was included on the higher grade packages), but definitely has a slight golden tinge to the top. I think it looks great, but that may just be me. I also appreciate the one piece mahogany neck and the ivoroid binding (although, some of you may remember that I had a problem with binding and had to have a small section re-glued... looks as good as new and covered under warranty). The CS promo series has scalloped braces, so I suppose it should sound closer to the HD-28 than a D-28. If you are willing to give up the herringbone trim on an HD-28, I think you'll be very happy with the 2014 Custom Shop model.
Taylor GC BTO
Taylor GA4
Yamaha LS6
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 AM

Thanks, TheDrake. I should be able to go back in a couple weeks for this purchase. Will check out the binding closer. In what area did you encounter the issue?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM

My guitar had a small separation of the binding, about a 2 inch length, in the lower bout. It was repaired at a shop in San Antonio, closest Martin service center, under warranty. It looks good as new. I love the guitar and think you will also. Best of luck with the purchase and new friend.
Taylor GC BTO
Taylor GA4
Yamaha LS6
Fender MIM Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion