The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2016, 08:55 AM

Default wood bindings

I like to use all wood on my guitars, including bindings. Let the factories use plastic. My favorite guitar so far is an OM size with Adirondack Spruce top and repurposed Honduran mahogany back, sides and neck. I used curly maple binding. I like the way it looks on the back but on the top it looks unbound, due to maple and spruce being almost the same color. I'm doing another one now with rosewood fingerboard and bridge and I would like to have a very thin piece of rosewood binding against the spruce, then the curly maple binding at full size. All the wood binding I get from StewMac is .080" thick. I would like for the rosewood to be about .020" to .040" thick. Anyone got any ideas as to how I might accomplish this? Thanks Danny Gray
Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 AM

Have you thought about using dyed poplar veneer ? You can buy it dyed black, .023" thick.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:10 AM

Look at:

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...-purfling-trim
Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 AM

How about herringbone purfling? Works nicely with curly maple.
Tom
Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Insert the colored material as Purflings instead of bindings at a depth of about .060". Then you can use whatever you want. The process involves routing or hand cutting a purfling ledge inside the binding ledge.

Purfling installed

Binding installed
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Dan,
LMII sells thin strips of Rosewood just for that. You can find them under the bindings and purflings tab, then wood strips for purfling tab. They are .024" thick by .250" or .100" tall. They also have them in bloodwood and maple. They are thin enough that they don't have to be pre bent to install.
I have done a couple of guitars with these and it works great.

Another thing I have done is to take regular binding and cut them in half ,height wise, for a little thicker purfling. These can be a little trickier to bend because of the thickness. I use a blanket and a form to bend them and it has worked fine.
Travis
Old 06-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Another option is to make your own purfling by cutting the veneer of your choice. Local hardwood suppliers often sell wood veneer in different species, sometimes dyed in various colors. A straight-edge and a sharp knife makes quick work of it.

Multiple strips can be used side-by-side to obtain whatever purfling face width you wish, rather than try to pre-bend wider, shallower pieces.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 PM

You can make a thickness sanding attachment for a standard belt sander. I take my purflings to as thin as .5mm

You may wish to sub a different wood rather than EIR. As you likely know, resin color runs. At half a mm you'll not notice any slight differentiation to EIR color.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 AM

Thanks to JonWint for this link. Just what the doctor ordered!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair