The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Even if you do make a mess in the refret I think it obviously needs (I have seen no indication the a neck set is needed), so what? Having the guitar playable would be mission one. A certain amount of geometry can be addressed in the fingerboard dressing that solves the actual problem, and careful observation on the part of a competent tech before acting would direct any change that may be required. I agree that careful removal of the existing frets could probably be done cleanly, and then removing a bit of tang as we do for a bound neck is easy enough. But if it does blow out the finish here and there, just play the guitar anyway and enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Just an epilogue on this older post. I decided not to tackle a re-fretting or a neck reset to address the fret buzz. I took the less invasive approach (and better suited to my maintenance skills) and purchased a radiused fretboard sanding block and sanded down frets 14-20 which were in the "humped area." I also purchased a fret re-crowning file to re-round the tops of the flattened files that I had sanded. A little additional light sanding and polished the frets with some very fine steel wool. I also replaced the saddle with a new, slightly taller, bone saddle - and whallah, no more fret buzz. And as a bonus, I seem to have picked up some greater volume for the same fingerpicking effort. Thanks again for all the previous comments and suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair