The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2018, 09:40 PM

I've kind of gone the other way - my GX is up for sale again. When I've needed to work away from home, (usually for some months) I take my GX with me, as it's less vulnerable, and I tend to fall in love with it all over again - but now I'm home again, it barely gets played, in favour of others in my collection. I have a hankering for a banjo now and I need to sell something - in an ideal world I'd keep it of course, but the reality is I have to live by the 'one in one out' rule.
Still, as it's a niche market, especially here in Australia, it may not sell, my urge for a banjo will pass and I'll fall in love with it again. Time will tell.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Guest 928

tdq;

I understand the "one in one out," but a banjo is not a guitar and it seems like a banjo in should not necessarily mean a guitar out. Just helping you out here. Nice to hear from you, by the way.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 PM

TDQ, one thing I'm figuring out is don't be too quick to move one along. My motivations are thinning the herd of unused guitars and ukes, and reclaiming closet space. It's not like I need the money this month or anything.

If I got seller's remorse about any one of them after the fact, they would be hard to replace. But at some point, some must go.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Earl49 - is seller's remorse greater than or equal to the drive for new gear? The guitar players dilemma...

Hey Evan - how's things out in the desert? You may be on to something. I've spoken with my financial controller and there may just be a small window of "one banjo in no guitars out" so you never know. Of course, there's that reverb pedal I want and a decent DI/EQ and upgraded tuners for my parlour and some decent pickups.....and maybe a mandolin...
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Guest 928

I don't think a pedal, tuners, pickups and a mandolin will fit through a "small window." You may have to show some of your guitars the door.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I would go for the pedal over the banjo... friends don't let friends play the banjo.

Yeah, just kidding. Swapping off a nice CF guitar to get a banjo? Ummm... really, don't.

What's the difference between a banjo and a mattress? Nobody cares if you jump on a banjo with your boots on. (rimshot)
Old 11-06-2018, 02:08 AM

Carbon fiber banjos? Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnuXSpwa94

But doesn't seem to be any more info after 2012, so you'd have to look for a used one--if for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/MLSInstuments
Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Guest 928

Good job AC! You've shown tdq how to have both CF and a banjo--he's probably on line as we speak.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Earl49 - is seller's remorse greater than or equal to the drive for new gear? The guitar players dilemma.....
In my case, I already have all the gear and instruments that I really want, plus a lot of stuff that I no longer use (PA gear, mic stands). So I have become pretty immune to GAS.

I might encounter a minor pang of seller's remorse on occasion, but choose to focus on the benefits - one less guitar to keep strung with fresh strings, one less to humidify, one less to store forever, one less in the insurance rider, etc. Going forward I might be more vulnerable to remorse, since the only things now left are truly wonderful, and were chosen for a musically valid reason.

I'm certainly not wishing for the dilemma, but if I were only allowed to keep my Emerald X20 six string and my Blackbird Farallon tenor ukulele, songs would still flow out happily for the rest of my playing days.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:31 AM

Default Not in a hurry to sell off my guitars!

While I am very impressed by the tone n maintenance-free convenience of my CF guitar, I am in no hurry to sell off my other guitars.😊 Reason being that I have taken a considerable amount of effort searching and reviewing the guitars in my humble collection. I like each one of my guitars for different reasons. I also like the variety that I enjoy, playing a certain (or a couple) of guitars on certain days. If I do change my mind, which may happen in the future, then I’ll sell them off...slowly...!!! 🤓
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 AM

I have sold all of my wood guitars, except my Yamaha Silent Guitar, which is as much air as it is wood...

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Guest 928

Matt;

I had the Yamaha silent guitar and really liked it--but ultimately missed having a body to hold and feel. I've wondered why Alistair hasn't made a silent guitar in CF.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM

I may, that's may, have a buyer for two of my Larrivees. Negotiations are in process.

If so, that would reduce the number of humidifiers I have to fill by 20%.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Matt;

I had the Yamaha silent guitar and really liked it--but ultimately missed having a body to hold and feel. I've wondered why Alistair hasn't made a silent guitar in CF.
Just play quieter. Hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber