The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Default guitar wall display case

so i just got a taylor ps10e and wanted to get a wall case for easy access and a case that also could control humidity. the only one i saw that i like was $1000 so i decided to try n build my own. not an expert wood worker or anything but it didnt look too complicated.

got the body and door done today now need to patch, sand, paint and add hardware.

going to put gaskets so a 2 way humidity pack can keep the guitar happy

i need to get some plexiglass for the door, what thickness you guys think i should get? i have a 1/4" rabbet on the door so i guess that would be the max. i dont know if thicker plexi (1/4") will keep humidity more stable than a thinner piece (1/16"). but was thinking maybe a thicker piece would keep the door more stable. anyway, will post more pics as time goes on for others who may want to travel the same road.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 PM

I would highly recommend that you get a piece of glass cut for the door. Plexiglass can out gas and damage the finish on some guitars as well as plastic parts such as binding, tuning peg knobs, etc. This is not always the case but, Glass is cheap.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Plexiglass is not permeable, so 1/8" would be fine. Keeping the weight of the door to a minimum would be smart. I would be inclined to use a full length piano hinge, surface mounted. If you have a router, a half round slot on the box and the door frame to accept a round weatherstrip would assure a good seal. Nice project.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Nice work! Enjoy your new wall art!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't aware of an out gassing issue with plexiglass. Using glass seems like a better idea.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Looks good....Nice job!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Wink Yeah, get real glass!

Here's my cabinet, that we fixed up a couple years ago. I bought an old pine china cabinet, found on Craig's for $50, missing one drawer, that I turned into a shelf for sheet music. I removed the inner shelving and brackets and sanded the exterior. My wife is a good painter and she selected the paint. The picture only shows the upper section.

It's wonderful to have fine guitars on display to enjoy, just walking by, and ready to play anytime!

<
Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Nice work! I am starting one soon. It will be a rectangle though. I thought about the pyramid shape but decided I liked the rectangle better.

I'm making it out of solid cherry.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
Nice work! I am starting one soon. It will be a rectangle though. I thought about the pyramid shape but decided I liked the rectangle better.

It does seem that one would have to care with the door on a pyramid shape, as it would tend to want to shut.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Nice looking case fungi. I agree glass would be a better choice. Besides the possible off-gassing, glass with be scratch resistant and easier to clean to maintain a clear view (long term.) BTW, is that a crack along the top seam of your guitar?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
I would highly recommend that you get a piece of glass cut for the door. Plexiglass can out gas and damage the finish on some guitars as well as plastic parts such as binding, tuning peg knobs, etc. This is not always the case but, Glass is cheap.
i hadnt heard of this, i will have to research this

the problem with glass is the weight. im worried that the door frame would not be able to manage it so well. i just miter'd & glued the corners and countersunk one screw in each joint of the door.

Last edited by funghi2; 02-10-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Plexiglass is not permeable, so 1/8" would be fine. Keeping the weight of the door to a minimum would be smart. I would be inclined to use a full length piano hinge, surface mounted. If you have a router, a half round slot on the box and the door frame to accept a round weatherstrip would assure a good seal. Nice project.
yes will be using a full length piano hinge.

interesting idea, i was just going to put some weather stripping on the body edge and install the hinge an 1/8" higher than normal so i can sort of compress the gasket evenly on all surfaces

Last edited by funghi2; 02-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD123 View Post
Here's my cabinet, that we fixed up a couple years ago. I bought an old pine china cabinet, found on Craig's for $50, missing one drawer, that I turned into a shelf for sheet music. I removed the inner shelving and brackets and sanded the exterior. My wife is a good painter and she selected the paint. The picture only shows the upper section.

It's wonderful to have fine guitars on display to enjoy, just walking by, and ready to play anytime!

<
nice work. if i only had space for somethign that size.

what did you do to seal it and manage humidity?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post

i considered rectangle of course, but figured it might be better to keep air volume low to manage the very dry winters here in nyc.

post pics of your project and good luck w cherry, im painting piano black bc this is going over my black piano so most mistakes can be covered up easily. if i was doing natural finish man that wouldve taken me way longer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion