The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
EDIT: I just saw the video posted by Difalkner, and I might set up a rig like that instead of buying the stew mac aluminum beams. Thanks!
Hey HV - As I said, it was a fun little project that cost virtually nothing but part of a Saturday in the shop. I made two blocks, a 14" and an 18", and used those to get a conical (or compound) radius on my first build, soon to be completed.

You'll note that I had to keep tension on the adjustment for moving the router. If you build one of these you might want to add a spring to hold pressure on the adjustment. I plan to modify mine when I need to use it again so that won't be a problem (not that it's a big deal, no more than I'll use this).

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stew Mac used to be a great company to buy from. Their prices on hardware and pickups were great, and their specialty tools were priced reasonably. At some point they became a publicly traded company, and it became clear that their agenda was to take as much money from the pockets of their customers as they possibly can.
Stewmac isn't publicly traded. Where did you get that information?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Stewmac isn't publicly traded. Where did you get that information?
I could have sworn I saw them listed in the stock exchange, but that isn't my world, and the internet yielded no evidence to corroborate my assertion that they are publicly traded. Bloomberg has them listed as a private company.

I guess that's how rumors get started. I edited my post so that I am no longer spreading misinformation. Carry on...
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Watched a video on fret filing and crowning at Stewmac and they provide a list of products they sell to assist with the process

Does you really need to buy a radius block or will a normal sanding block do the job good enough?
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools..._Set_of_5.html
Super handy for dressing a fretboard prior to fretting. I put these on the "must have" list if you want to avoid hours of leveling and recrowning frets.

Quote:
Do you really need the $80 Stew mac files?
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ing_Files.html

or will a simple set of generic $7 files do the trick?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Fil...3HDN/203243960
A regular fine cut triangle file works great. These have safe edges so they don't eat up the fretboard quite so bad if you miss. I use regular triangle files, though.

Quote:
The fingerboard guard's seem well worth the price, but oddly enough they are the one product here that seems reasonably priced
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...rd_Guards.html
nope.. Nowhere close to mandatory. Masking tape works very well here. Regular old blue painters tape with a layer of thick clear box tape on top.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I could have sworn I saw them listed in the stock exchange, but that isn't my world, and the internet yielded no evidence to corroborate my assertion that they are publicly traded. Bloomberg has them listed as a private company.

I guess that's how rumors get started. I edited my post so that I am no longer spreading misinformation. Carry on...
They're such a tiny business it would be extremely surprising they'd get themselves listed to raise a bunch of money via an IPO.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
nope.. Nowhere close to mandatory. Masking tape works very well here. Regular old blue painters tape with a layer of thick clear box tape on top.
It's great if you do a lot of repair work. When I first started doing repair work, I got a '63 Strat that needed the frets recrowned. Put blue tape between a few frets, proceeded down the neck, and as I pulled tape off, along went some of the finish off the edge of the neck! I had to touch this up, and finish recrowning the frets, and the guy's coming in about 3 hours! Well, I was able to touch up the missing chips, and get the recrowning finished, making something similar with thin brass stock. For new work, and nothing with vintage lacquer crazing all over, no problem...
Old 05-31-2016, 05:17 PM

Stewmac

Hardware

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Bolt = guitar nut?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Bolt = guitar nut?
Eye hook + wing nut = locking tuners?!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM

Default "A good tool is an investment, a cheap tool is just an added cost."

I thought this comment from John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars about cheap nut files was interesting:

"A good tool is an investment, a cheap tool is just an added cost."

https://youtu.be/haHODPWnlng

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair