The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 PM

Default The Finer Things (Alcohol & Tobacco)

Just checking the waters to see how many others on the site are partakers and are interested in discussing your preferences, what you're currently drinking or smoking etc.

For me I started smoking cigars as a young teenager casually, I've always enjoyed tobacco products. I did go through a brief stint of cigarettes during a very difficult time in my life where my life was something I was battling with keeping. Anyway, other than that I mostly have stuck with cigars and pipes with the occasional social cigarette. I'm not a heavy smoker, nor am I addicted. Summertime/fall is usually when I enjoy my tobacco products, i'll go all winter and spring without touching it often. Over the last few years I haven't actually smoked my pipes as much, I've gotten lazy and I'll often roll my pipe tobacco with a filter in a cigarette roller and use that. If I'm sitting around with friends or around a fire camping is when I especially enjoying smoking a bowl.
For my pipe tobacco, my preference is Latakia heavy blends, although I've been working my way through a tub of Half & Half (burley and virginia I think). It's more of a drug store tobacco as the old timers call it.
My favourite tobacco was McClellands Frog Morton in The Cellar, unfortunately McClellands recently called it quits, man they were making some fantastic tobaccos.
Balkan Sasieni, some Dunhill etc, straight virginia irritates my tongue though.

As for alcohol, I enjoy red wine for wine, not very fussy with the specifics. I love whiskeys in winter, that's pretty much mostly what I drink until summer, then I enjoy beer throughout the summertime. I was a bit of a beer snob for a while, mostly drinking quality ales and craft beer, then it got too expensive and I settled for cheap beers which all taste the same to me (Molson, Bohemian, Budweiser, Pabst, Coors, Kokanee etc). I'm so glad a recently discovered Great Western Classic, it's a lager from my home province of Saskatchewan. Great Western is brewed in Saskatoon where I used to live, however I never really bought much of their stuff because at that time I was into smaller craft beer. Anyway, for affordable lager, GW Classic is SO much better than the typical cheap beers I mentioned, lots of flavour and strength.
Whiskey's I love are Bulliet Burbon, Johnny Walker Red Label, Canadian Club, Wisers, Crown Royal.
Vodka, I love Lukusowa a lot.

Anyway enjoy the 'finer things'?

**I realize there are those who may have been addicted to these things and have kicked them or struggle with it, I mean no harm by this discussion, I assume you will avoid the discussion altogether anyway.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:04 AM

I love tobacco, kinda unfortunately... I've quit smoking cigarettes several times but always seem to find my way back. Currently, it's been a year since the last one.

I've got much better control of cigars or an occasional dip. I love an Acid brand cigar - I like the "wafe" form factor. In fact I had one this weekend - first one in months. It was glorious. It's nice to occasionally be fully overwhelmed with rich nicotine from a cigar!

I was enjoying it alongside a lovely lady and some quality mimosas made from Moet Brut and pineapple/orange juice on a temperate Tennessee afternoon. Did I mention glorious?

Later we had a Bombay Sapphire G&T with fresh mini limes.

I've not spent much time with a pipe, but a friend sometimes pulls one out and I really rather enjoy it. No idea what tobacco he uses, but it's thick, lush and extremely smooth.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I drink, some might say a lot, but according to my doctor I'm only halfway to excessive. Also I'm retired, so I have more time for it. My choices are beer, rum drinks, vodka drinks, tequila drinks, brandy straight, and wine. I'm kind of a wine snob, but otherwise not particular. A funny story, several years ago someone gave me a bottle of brandy and told me to save it for special occasions because it was "the good stuff." So Saturday evening I had a friend stop by and we finally finished off the bottle. I told my wife and she said that she would put it on the grocery list. I told her that she probably couldn't get it at the grocery store, because it is " the good stuff. " A few minutes later she said, "that brandy that you and your friends have been having over the last four years is sixteen bucks at HyVee, you want more than one bottle." Okay, it sure tasted like the good stuff. I wonder if the knowledge that it's sixteen bucks a bottle will change how it tastes.

Speaking about experiences, what is it with smoking cigars? I have a couple friends who are really really getting more out of sucking on those big things than I'm comfortable being around them with, at least in public. I mean, maybe get a hotel room? I smoked cigarettes when I was in the Navy and quit after I got out.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-04-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:45 AM

Last year I developed a taste for Brandy/Cognac. I've tried every brand VS, VSOP and XO I can find for under ~$100. That includes a bunch of the fancy French Cognacs...

My favorite, by far, is E&J XO, which runs about $30 for 1.75L in my area. Good stuff!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:51 PM

This is triggering for me. Alcohol and tobacco are killers. They cause countless addictions and deaths every year.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 PM

My Grandmother, Uncle, and Mom were alcoholics. Uncle John died while driving drunk. Both my Mom and Dad died of lung cancer due to smoking.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
This is triggering for me. Alcohol and tobacco are killers. They cause countless addictions and deaths every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
My Grandmother, Uncle, and Mom were alcoholics. Uncle John died while driving drunk. Both my Mom and Dad died of lung cancer due to smoking.
My father was a life-long smoker and a know-it-all who refused to stop smoking. He died from lung cancer in his early 60s after having a lung removed so the last 5-8 years of his life were far less than joyous. He left a wife who didn't have a clue how to live without him or on her own. I guess smoking, drinking and "the finer things" seems like an oxymoron for some of us...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-04-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM

I can think of finer things in life than alcohol and tobacco .... like guitars for instance!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-04-2020, 10:25 PM

Well, if you’re gonna smoke certainly smoking pipes and cigars are the way to go.
Still, I can think of better things to spend my money on.
Scott
Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 AM

Default Live and Let Live

Hey guys: let’s let this thread have its own life. We don’t have to approve of every single thread or post, and posting things that undermine others’ pleasurable exchanges isn’t going to accomplish any beneficial change (not that I haven’t done exactly what I am advocating against....I have; I just see the error of always injecting my objections into Open Mic threads).

I hope this lands well with everyone. Just trying to promote greater harmony during these very challenging times.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:24 AM

I preferred and smoked those little black twisted Italian cigars that came in a tin container. Also any other tobacco thing I could burn and inhale (Deep too, none of that puffing stuff) for 33 years. I've now turned into the exact guy I use to hate. Can't stand the smell of it or the odor of it on the people who do smoke.

Today, I do 2 puffs morning and night of Symbicort off of an inhaler to help me breathe as I have COPD. Being "older" and overweight, if I get that virus thingy going around, I'm in big trouble! Like alcoholics, but in this case, I'm one pack away from the habit. I miss being young and "bullet proof".

Fog

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-05-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:58 AM

I am with Fogducker on the inhaler kick, steroids morning and night. I do enjoy beer in a lightweight sort of way. Summit IPA or Heineken to get just a touch smiley before supper are pretty common at my house.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Well I smoked a fair amount pot back in the day but quit in 73-74 or so
And tried rolling Bull Durham when I was a bar tender at a Biker Bar (ostensibly to calm the nerves, but it did not work ) so I quite after about a week .

I quit my drinking habit (completely) some 33 years ago

And only just this last two years , occasionally maybe once or twice a week, have a small glass of Cabernet with dinner

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 AM

Quit drugs 20 years ago. Quit tobacco and alcohol 5 years ago.

Only caffeine left and I'm not quitting coffee.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm a Tito vodka fan. Usually with water and ice. I like the taste of it. It tastes like a really smooth whisky to me without the bite. Lately I have been enjoying bloody marys while I sit in front of my condo watching the goings ons in the park across the street from me. I don't do tobacco any more though I miss it, kind of. I do medicinals at times though. And it's a whole other rabbit hole of choices.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic