The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Old 07-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Cool JBL C-38 Baron Speakers (circa ~1960)

I know this is a long shot to list these here, but, what the heck! I know there are some folks here who really like hearing the old stuff. These speakers are from the days when "JBL was King"!!! Largely forgotten nowadays...

These Barons were my Dad's. I believe he bought one of them in the late 50's when he had a monaural "Hi-Fi" system, then acquired the second when he went to stereo in the early 60's. Never really "pushed", except by me when I was a kid and the folks left the house!!!

Cabinets are still in great shape - I haven't touched them, except to dust them off. I know there are products that would bring the teak/mahogany back to near-new, but I've left them as-is. Original stubby turned-stainless steel legs are intact.

You'll notice the "innards" are slightly different. the crossover on one is inside, mounted to the back plate, while the other is part of the module where the speaker wires are connected. They still work, and sound good; currently located in a friend's study in Portland, Oregon.

Both grilles are intact and original; one of them looks to be stained/faded in the bottom left corner of the grille clothe. I suspect a careless attendee at one of my folks "cocktail parties" back in the day... the other speaker cabinet has a ring on the top from a wet glass being set down. Maybe the same guest? Again, I have chosen NOT to do any work on these, even though I've been assured there are products that can remove that ring and make them look "like new".

One of the speakers has been re-coned; the other is in need of new surrounds or possibly a complete re-coning; you can see small "crumbles" on the floor of the inner cabinet... amazes me that they still sound good, even with this needed repair.

The sound of these is VERY smooth, natural and even, quite unlike the "newer" speakers that have an exaggerated high and low end response. They are extremely efficient; in a medium/large room, 1 watt continuous is louder than I'd normally listen to... they sound incredible with a tube amp driving them, but they still sound great with my solid state NAD amp.

I'm asking $1400 or best offer for the pair, cash or Paypal, and they'd be local pickup only. I'm not going to ship something this old and this big! Not interested in trades, thanks.

Own a piece of History!!!

and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 07-22-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Let's send this up to the top once more... have a buyer interested, but not sold yet!

Make me an offer on these vintage beauties...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other