The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher Guitars Perfect Pairing Guitars sets

Over the next ten weeks I will be offering what I consider perfect pairings of top and back/side sets for the top ten guitars I'd like to add to my build schedule. I will be putting up one set per week at a set price and then offering an incentive credit to use toward upgrades for you custom order. The incentive amount is calculated by taking 10 percent of the woods cost and my $7,000 base price.
Any restriction that apply to given sets will be explained at the offering. Substitutions of woods are not allowed.

This first weeks offering is an extremely lightweight alpine Swiss Moon Spruce master grade top matched with a back/side set from "The Fiddleback Tree"

The up charge for this pairing is $2,000. With my base price you would get $900 credit toward additional upgrade. So for instance, you get order an arm bevel, Cocobolo wood trim, Cocobolo fretboard and bridge, a back strip, an Abalonie rosette and maybe a little MOP inlay of your dog on the fretboard using this incentive.

If you would like to know more about why I am saying this is a Perfect Pairing and see more pictures and details you can check this thread I have going over in the Custom Forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=534569

I will be adding a different Perfect Pairing each week for the next ten weeks. The pairs will sometimes be the best woods in my locker or a unique pairing that I would qualify as Perfect.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week #2 Figured Plum Katalox and Sitka

For my Week #2 Pairing I am offering this Figured Plum Katalox back and side set:

I am pairing it with this 72 year old Sitka top:

If you are a fan of ebony guitars are or looking to add some variety this is a great set especially on a larger guitar like a small jumbo or grand auditorium.
I am offering this back and side set at an $800 up charge to my $7,000 base price. This offer includes an $780 credit to get additional upgrades. This could be things like an arm bevel, abalone, sound ports, specialty trim woods etc.
I have a deeper description about these woods and why I think they make a Perfect Pairing over on the Custom Forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=534569

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-20-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week #3 Italian Olivewood and Yellow Cedar

This week I am adding a matched set of Italian Olivewood back and side with a Yellow Cedar top.

I am continuing the same offer which is 10% of the base and wood up-charge total toward additional upgrades. So a guitar with this combo is $7,600 making $760 available for upgrades. That could get a cutaway, evo fret wire, a back strip, and an Olivewood bridge and fretboard, for instance.

I have much more detail on this offering on this thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=534569&page=2

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM

The figured plum katalox looks fantastic, Mark! Can you elaborate on the tonal qualities?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
The figured plum katalox looks fantastic, Mark! Can you elaborate on the tonal qualities?
Katalox is very much like Ebony. It is strongest on the trebles and bass. It has a very hard smooth surface which makes it very reflective which can help with forward projection and what is sometimes called reverb inside the body. It lends itself well for bringing out overtones. For a singer we may want to take advantage of that scooped midrange. For an instrumentalist we would likely want to voice the top for an overall even balance.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#4 All Koa Multi scale-Wedge

This weeks Perfect Pairing is for an all Koa small jumbo Josie. It is restricted to a mutili scale fan fret with a wedge.

There are more details about this pairing at the Custom Forum:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=534569&page=2

Although this offering is restricted to the Josie model with a wedge and fan frets the pricing is very similar. There is a 10% credit calculated from the total price of the base price plus the wood pairing, extended to use toward any up-charges such as the wedge and fan fret. So this offering would be $7000 base price plus $1,500 for the Koa woods comes to $8,500. That gives the 10% credit of $850 toward the $2,000 up charge for the wedge and fan fret so the total offering as it stands would come to $9,650 for the all Koa Josie with fan frets and wedge. I should also mention that, unlike the other models, the Josie comes standard with a sound port.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Four right answers so far

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-10-2019, 01:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#5 Tunnel 13 Redwood on Black Ebony

This weeks pairing is a set of pre Civil War Redwood Train tunnel wood that has quite a history matched with Black Ebony:

I am recommending this pair on my Pina 12 fret parlor or my OO deep bodied 14 fret guitar models. This combination will give quick, loud response with lots of overtones. I have a lot of experience and success with both these woods.
The upcharge for the wood combination is $1,200 and my base prices is $7,000. Like all of these wood combination I am offering 10% credit toward guitar upgrades such as sound ports, cutaways, etc. The credit amount in this case is $820.

I have much more detail about this wood and my vision of what kind of guitar I'd like to build with it over on the Custom forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=534569&page=2

Old 02-17-2019, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week #6 Western Red Cedar on Curly Ovangkol

Here we are on week #6 of the guitar top and back set pairings I am offering incentives on. This week is Western Red Cedar on a highly figured Ovangkol back and side set:

Here is a picture of a recently finished custom ordered curly figured Ovangkol Josie small jumbo model:

As with all of the previous offerings there is an incentive credit for upgrades equal to the 10% of my base price and woods upcharge. In the case the base price is $7,000 plus a $700 wood upcharge totaling $7,700, making $770 available in upgrade credits. So, for instance, this would cover the cost of an arm bevel, sound port, and maybe a fancy little 12 fret inlay.

I have a lot more detail about this pairing over in the Custom Forum on this thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...78#post5982478

Thanks for viewing!

Mark

Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week #7 Spalted Curly Maple and New Hampshire Red Spruce

For Week #7 I am offering a wonderful spalted, curly Western Big Leaf Maple back and side set paired with a very clean and fine grained New Hampshire Red Spruce top:

I recommend the pair with my Greta grand auditorium model for a very strong well balanced guitar. I have more detail on this pairing on the Custom Forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...90#post5989090

With these pairings I am offering a credit toward additional upgrades. The amount of the credit is 10% of the total of my base price plus the wood cost. In this case the total is $8,000 and the credit for upgrades is $800.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Katalox is very much like Ebony. It is strongest on the trebles and bass. It has a very hard smooth surface which makes it very reflective which can help with forward projection and what is sometimes called reverb inside the body. It lends itself well for bringing out overtones. For a singer we may want to take advantage of that scooped midrange. For an instrumentalist we would likely want to voice the top for an overall even balance.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark
Just saw this. Thanks Mark
Old 03-01-2019, 03:56 PM

The Koa is gorgeous!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Just saw this. Thanks Mark
You’re welcome, I have 3 more pairs to put up yet and then I will keep this offer standing probably to the end of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
The Koa is gorgeous!
Thanks BBWW. It also has great tone. It would make a very lightweight and responsive all hardwood guitar.

Thanks for the comments,
Mark

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-03-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#8 Kauri and Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce

This week we're going with the oldest workable wood available in the world. The back and side set is over 45,000 years old and has been preserved and kept fresh in a peat bog in New Zealand all this time:

This very satin like wood is being paired with a very silky Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce:

I'm pairing these two because both bring a lot of versatility in tone and response. They look great together too! I believe this holds true with any of my models you would like.

Like the other pairs I am offering these as a set with 10% of the wood costs and my base price available as credit towards upgrades. In this case the wood set is $1,300 along with my $7,000 base adds up to a $830 credit. This can be used for things like a cut-away, fancy golden burl trim, etc.

I have more detail about this pairing over on the Custom Forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=534569&page=3

Old 03-10-2019, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#9 Curly Redwood and Curly Claro Walnut

This is week number 9 of 10 wood pairings I like to use making a guitar. As on the previous weeks I am offering a credit of 10% of my base price plus wood upgrade toward additional upgrades on the guitar. My base plus the woods comes to $7,800 so there is $780 credit in upgrades available for a custom made guitar.
Here are the woods and a picture of a sister set of the Claro Walnut used on a previously built guitars:

I have more detail about this wood combination and why I am pairing these two over on the Custom forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...57#post6002557

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace