The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Thinking about a new Classical

What classical would you recommend if one were looking for the very best deal USED and between $500 and $1250? I would prefer spruce top. Thanks for you input.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:00 PM

What do you currently have, and what are you looking for beyond its sound characteristics?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
What classical would you recommend if one were looking for the very best deal USED and between $500 and $1250? I would prefer spruce top. Thanks for you input.
You can find some good deals on vintage Japanese classicals in that price range. I like the older Hirade H8 models (late 70s to mid 80s) or some of the lower model number Yamaha GC series. The Aranjuez from the mid-70s with Kohno shop tops are also really nice. Note that some of these may have 660mm scale lengths--still very playable and sound great, but some people have an aversion to anything longer than 650.

FWIW, I have a 2000 Bernabe M10 spruce that I may be listing soon. Price point is a bit above yours, but let me know if you might be interested.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:07 PM

I really like my Alhambra that was in that price range......
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Pavan TP-30 if you can find a used one - people tend to hang on to them, though.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Well, I appreciate all you advice and thoughts. I have just bought a "mint" Cordoba C7. (Well below my price range) I'm not really a classical player, although I take stabs at it periodically. I love 00 12 fret steel strings but I like having a nylon string around too. I have owned a couple of Cordobas before, but know nothing about any other brands. Anyway, for my needs I went back to all that I know and bought a Cordoba C7, hoping it will fill my need for nylon and be something very comparable to the 12 fret 00's. Sometimes nylon is just nice to play, to hear, to hold and I will learn more "classical" in periods of learning zest. If this sounds "nuts"., well, that is just "how I roll". Thank you all!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:24 AM

I have a mint Alhambra 11P available.
Contact me if interested.

[email protected]
Takamine EF240s-TT
Guild F250e
Guild DS240 Memoir
Martin Dread Jr
Epiphone 1964 Texan
Godin 5th Avenue
Godin Multiac Encore Nylon
Orangewood Baritone
Schecter C1 E/A
G&L ASAT Tribute Tele
7 - Fender Stratocasters
Fender '60 Jazz Bass
Lightwave 5 String Bass
Ibanez SRF 705 Bass
Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I have an excellent condition Kenny Hill 650 Estudio spruce/rosewood available for less than your budget bottom. PM me if you're interested.

Tom
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
Well, I appreciate all you advice and thoughts. I have just bought a "mint" Cordoba C7. (Well below my price range) I'm not really a classical player, although I take stabs at it periodically. I love 00 12 fret steel strings but I like having a nylon string around too. I have owned a couple of Cordobas before, but know nothing about any other brands. Anyway, for my needs I went back to all that I know and bought a Cordoba C7, hoping it will fill my need for nylon and be something very comparable to the 12 fret 00's. Sometimes nylon is just nice to play, to hear, to hold and I will learn more "classical" in periods of learning zest. If this sounds "nuts"., well, that is just "how I roll". Thank you all!
Can't go wrong with the Cordobas. I had a C12 that was as nice as any classical I've ever played personally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical