The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2022, 01:24 PM

Default When Onboard Electronics Go Bad

A question for all my Taylor-playing friends out there. And for anyone else who might have some insight.

One of my top two guitars is my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa. I'm a fan of smaller guitars, as I have small hands and I just like the way they play. But here's the problem I keep having with it: The onboard ES-B keeps "disconnecting" during times I don't use it.

By disconnecting, I mean that after I unplug, plugging in again results in... no amplification.

When I contacted Taylor, I was told to unscrew the preamp, lift it, and unplug and re-plug in the jack connection. I did that, and it solved the problem.

Then.

And again.

So, now it seems I'm fated to have to "jiggle" the preamp connection every time I want to go from straight acoustic to plugged in.

Is there a fix I can apply myself? It's hard to see what lies underneath the soundhole under the preamp, so I'm not comfortable just rummaging around.

Take it to a service shop, or is there a DIY fixit?
Old 02-14-2022, 02:19 PM

That has a barn door kind of thing with the controls mounted on the side right?

This maybe something for an authorized warranty center to look at.

Could be as easy just replacing that module that's mounted on the side of the guitar with a new replacement part that one should be able to get from Taylor.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-14-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
That has a barn door kind of thing with the controls mounted on the side right?

This maybe something for an authorized warranty center to look at.

Could be as easy just replacing that module that's mounted on the side of the guitar with a new replacement part that one should be able to get from Taylor.
It turns out there's a Taylor Gold service center ten minutes from home. They often seem like they're not interested in running a business, but they can be friendly and knowledgeable, and once the ice is broken, they're pretty cool people. I sent them an email asking when a good time to bring it in might be. It's after hours, so I'll hope for a reply tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:24 AM

Different company, but 15 years ago, I had a Takamine guitar that had issues with the barn door/side mounted preamp. I contacted Takamine and they sent me a new preamp to replace it. I am sure Taylor will be willing to help out.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:49 PM

Well, it turns out nothing comes easy.

I contacted the local shop, who informed me they are no longer a Taylor warranty center. They referred me to one shop that's an hour away (in the best of driving conditions) and another that's across the state line, 75 miles away. They kind of said, "We don't want you bringing your guitar in here even if you're willing to pay for the repair."

There's another shop closer by, but they indicate they are crushed with repairs, and their standard policy is three days before they open the case, then do the work, and then three days to let it sit. That's after waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment.

Maybe Taylor will respond to my latest query and tell me how I can DIY.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:58 PM

ugh.....

yer right ya know.
nothing is ever easy..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-18-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
ugh.....

yer right ya know.
nothing is ever easy..
Yep. I tried the unscrew-reconnect-rescrew process again, and while I could hear the amp "pop" while I played with the connectors, this time no music came out of the amp. Just as I finished doing this, I got a reply from Taylor.

Looks like a couple of trips across the state line are in order. The shop is one that's well known and has been in business for decades. Which means their guitar repairs are backed up and they won't even open the case until it's sat unopened for three days in their shop.

I actually care less about not having my little gem available for a couple of weeks than I am about fighting the traffic and parking to get there.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Wheew. From the title I thought you'd caught it drinking.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification