The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Larger Bridge Pins

Hey, so I got an acoustic guitar recently and I went to replace the strings but after I removed the bridge pins they would not fit again. The guitar had standard size bridge pins so it will need larger than normal pins to hold the strings. I've searched the major sites like Guitar Center and Musicians's Friend without any luck. I was hoping someone knows where I can find larger than normal bridge pins. I appreciate any help.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:23 AM

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...idge_Pins.html

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...idge_Pins.html
Old 08-28-2018, 10:26 AM

If the bridge pins fit with the old strings I could be wrong but I doubt that you have a bridge pin problem. It’s possible that you are not seating the strings properly.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM

I'm not sure that I understand the question. You removed the pins for a string change, and now the same pins won't fit back in? Do they go too far into the hole? Are you sure that you have the ball end of the strings seated properly? Pins are usually slotted to leave room for the diameter of the string itself. If they get turned around, they won't fit. But I don't see that as needing larger pins.

Maybe I'm just dense this morning.....??
Old 08-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Rather than use oversized pins, another option is to decrease the size of the bridge pin holes. This can be done by lining the holes with CA glue (or epoxy) and re-reaming the holes to fit standard pins. I'd recommend that if you go that route, have it professionally done. It won't likely cost you more than $50 depending upon your location.

Some guitar supply houses sell over-size pins. Stewmac.com probably does, as might lmii.com. To do more than guess as to the right size and angle, you ought to measure what you have and buy pins that properly fit the size holes you have - otherwise, there isn't much point in buying new pins if they are also incorrectly sized.

While the pin size and shape should match the hole size and shape, it isn't critical. The pins displace the ball end of the string from the hole so that the ball bears against the bridge plate. As long as the pins do that suitably, they are adequate to the task. If the pins are too small for the holes, try turning the pins around so that the slot in the pins faces away from the string. Ensure that the ball end of the string is displaced from the hole and sits against the bridge plate.

Ideally, the bridge pin holes should be slotted to accommodate the string diameters and un-slotted pins used that match the diameter and taper of the pin holes.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm not sure that I understand the question. You removed the pins for a string change, and now the same pins won't fit back in? Do they go too far into the hole? Are you sure that you have the ball end of the strings seated properly? Pins are usually slotted to leave room for the diameter of the string itself. If they get turned around, they won't fit. But I don't see that as needing larger pins.

Maybe I'm just dense this morning.....??
Yeah I was confused as well. When I went to put the new strings in, the pins would not fit snugly like they did with the old strings. So I put the pins in without the strings to test them and they slid in like they didn't fit. The diameter was clearly too small. My only guess is that the bridge holes grew a little.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholt92 View Post
My only guess is that the bridge holes grew a little.
or the pins have shrunk a little...
Old 08-31-2018, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the help, the pegs work fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair