The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Default .4 or .5?

Okay, so I was recently given a Jasmine grand concert. and I noticed that the top of the saddle piece was sanded as opposed to the bottom. i noticed it was also uncomfortable (not in a high action way, just strings were not in proportionate to other strings) so I did the measurements, it read 6- .90, 5- .87, 4- .82, 3- .82, 2- .90 1- .76 (I know, really butchered). so I know that a .4 or .5 up from 1-6 strings are recommended. So I did exactly that 1 - .60 - 1 .80. alot more uncomftorable, and fret buzzy. so I shifted it back using shimmys. Why is this the case? There is no warping, truss rod and head slots all are okay. Also if I were to buy a new a new saddle, does the company keep in mind the .4 - .5 rule so all the customer has to do is sand it from the bottom?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM

When doing a saddle,

I radius the top of the saddle to the same shape as the fingerboard, then rough level it to desired height vee the bottom of the saddle, example Bass E 90 thou, treb E 70 thou.

Intonate the positions and final size to the height vee bottom of saddle again.

Steve

Blank

Fretboard radius

Shape caul with sandpaper for top of saddle

Intonated

Process of sanding material from base, flat edge to achieve desired heights on the E strings

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair