The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Larrivee OM-40R // Adapting to Flatter Neck & Thoughts on Strings

In an earlier thread I celebrated receipt of a new Larrivee OM-40R yesterday. Awesome guitar for sure! After playing it quite a bit (for 1 -1/2 days now) I love everything about it, but am still trying to adjust to the feel of the flatter fretboard. Thinking about changing the strings from John Pearse 600L to DR Sunbeams or Elixir PB Nanoweb 11's to improve playability for me. I'm primarily a strummer and play a lot of oldies and R&B songs. Bought it from Shoreline so it has a great set-up already. Thoughts ? THANKS!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM

I like the clarity and volume of D'Addario Nickel Bronze.
I use the 11's on a rosewood jumbo and they're fine for strumming.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM

Larrivee necks used to have a compound radius that was a bit flatter than most of the competition, but your OM40R likely has a 16" radius (they started doing this in October 2017), same as Martin and a lot of other acoustics. Is it the neck profile you're referring to? Either way, I don't know if there's any brand/gauge
of string that could help compensate. Maybe a lower tension string ? Might just be a matter of getting used to it.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:22 PM

The radius of a fretboard is a highly personal factor. I spent my first decade+ playing on electric and acoustic guitars with more curve. I would play classical guitars and they would feel weird (flatter).

Once I got my first Larrivee, I found that I subtly preferred a flatter fretboard than many. I can play fine on a guitar with a curve, but now IT feels weird.

Rounder radius is supposed to be better for chords. I discovered that it was a crutch (for me) and allowed me to 'get away' with sloppier finger control.

Now even my electric guitars are flatter radius (20 degree) and yet I play complex chordal passages with ease.

As far as strings affecting you getting used to this, I can't offer any insight. I'm imagining that barres and chords are requiring a little more effort to play cleanly, which is why you might be thinking about a lighter gauge of strings. I would suggest instead to analyze exactly WHAT is making the flatter fretboard feel odd to you, and determine if there is something about your technique that could be improved.

As I learned after decades of playing, the optimal techniques tend to require the BAREST minimum of effort. Unfortunately, most of us have to exert MAXIMUM effort at some point to finally learn this

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

THANKS to all !

Gill,

Yes, it's the neck profile I'm referring to. As I play if more it's becoming less and less noticeable, so probably just a function of getting used to it. Lower tension, round core strings (like DR Sunbeams) are what I have in mind next.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate your helpful comments Gordon ! THANKS!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM

I found with my OM40r that, being used to larger-body guitars I was aware of a certain boxiness to the tone in comparison to those others. I found that using 80/20 strings on that one gave it better punch in the highs & lows, compared to the hotter mids

It seems to me that Elixirs are a bit on the high-tension side...I've been using either Pearse or GHS strings and they feel a bit more flexible to me.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

first off, congrats on a great guitar!

I have the OM 40 version, mahogany

It had Elixirs on them , and it sounded incredible

but I had to tinker, so I put on some new daddarrio PB's, and didn't like them

so I put the old Elixirs back on, and the tone came back

I think they are Elixir nanoweb medium gauge PB's..... but in my experience, the Elixirs sound incredible... even when they are old
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
I love everything about it, but am still trying to adjust to the feel of the flatter fretboard
What Flatter Fretboard?

Larrivee (in their continuing quest to be "more like Martin") has been using a Martin standard 16" radius (non-tapered) for quite some time now. (since october of 2017)

A shame, the older compound fretboards were much easier to play up the neck.

I think the real issue is that, since the move to California, Larrivee has shipped and set up their guitars for mediums (EXP-17s) which leaves the nut slots too high.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM

After having owned about 6 Larrivees, I have decided that I can’t work with the neck configuration. The combination of shallow profile and flatter fretboard just doesn’t provide enough meat for me to play comfortably. I’m not sure, however that I have played one with the new radius, so maybe that would help.

A few of the ones I’ve had were simply spectacular sounding, and I honestly considered stripping the finish off the neck and building up laminations on the back of the neck and shaping it to a soft V shape, which is my favorite shape. I know it would have killed the resale, and I was never sure that the tone wouldn’t suffer as a consequence, so I chickened out.

I hope you can adjust to the feel of yours. They’re great guitars.

Roger
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

AZ,

From what I've read you are correct, but compared to my 1989 Taylor 810 (my go to guitar for many years) the Larrivee fretboard feels flatter. Nearing the end of my 2nd day playing I will say that I am adapting. A short while ago I also replaced the John Pearce 660L that Shoreline put on with Elixir Nanoweb PB 11's and (for me anyway) it has a much more comfortable feel and sweeter sound. Once the Elixirs "break in" I'll know more. I know some folks balk at 11's, but they work well for me. I found it interesting the the gauge of the 4th and 5th strings are the same for both the JP's and the Elixir.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
AZ,

From what I've read you are correct, but compared to my 1989 Taylor 810 (my go to guitar for many years) the Larrivee fretboard feels flatter.
Taylor is 15", so yes a 16" (Larrivee, Breedlove, Martin, etc) will be a bit flatter.

I still suspect that the nut slots are a bit high.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 PM

What AZ Liberty said makes sense. The nut slots were high on all almost all the newer Larrivees I tried in a store and on the one I later received from Shoreline

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion