The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I agree,. Im going to try to band-aid it with a foam sock for the mic for now, we'll see tonight
You can try that but I don't think that is great idea, kinda like putting a band-aid on a rash.
While it will probably remove some zingy treble it will also remove air and presence.

(If it is room reflection) first try just moving to a different spot in the room or make some portable absorbers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You can try that but I don't think that is great idea, kinda like putting a band-aid on a rash.

While it will probably remove some zingy treble it will also remove air and presence.

(If it is room reflection) first try just moving to a different spot in the room or make some portable absorbers
Thanks will do
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM

Learn how to track your guitar playing and vocals separately. I know some folks just like to do both at the same time, but recording them separately opens up many good possibilities when processing recordings.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Had one of those packing blankets 6'x6', so I pinned it to the wall next to me as I sing and it helped a lot with the runaway treble
Today at work I'm going to build an isolation box that will sit on my work station, hopefully, it will isolate the mic even more.
Probably cardboard lined with foam strips.
I'm hoping it will keep the mic isolated on three sides.

getting closer
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Had one of those packing blankets 6'x6', so I pinned it to the wall next to me as I sing and it helped a lot with the runaway treble
Today at work I'm going to build an isolation box that will sit on my work station, hopefully, it will isolate the mic even more.

getting closer
From my experience with home recordings. Room treatment or at least some kind of treatment for the area plus proper mic placement are crucial.

Check out this video on DIY Acoustic panels. I made a batch of them and cost me like $25-30 bucks each. Then I made some thicker ones following a different DIY for my room corners.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

getting closer
This photo shows some freestanding acoustic panels. I bought these from RealTraps but you can make your own if you're handy with tools. They have been my single best investment in my home studio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1583.jpg (42.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
This photo shows some freestanding acoustic panels...
Does facing into them work better than having the panels behind you? Silly question, it must or you wouldn't be showing it that way. But left on my own it wouldn't be the first thing I'd try.

Couch Standards
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I find the pictured set-up works pretty well for recording guitar and vocals with a single ribbon mic (figure 8 pickup pattern). My room is small with some diffusion and some absorption. You won't get a dry sound with this set-up but if the room sounds OK you're good to go.

Been experimenting with both the N22 and N8 ribbon microphones for singing and playing into one mic. It's hard to beat the N8. You can back off 2 or 3 feet and still get a great big sound.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 01-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:13 PM

Ah - hadn't taken the fig8 into account. Makes more sense.

Couch Standards
Old 01-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

If it were a cardioid mic I'd sit with my back to the panels and the null of the cardioid pointing at my DAW. The nice thing about using moveable panels is you are free to try different arrangements until you like the sound you're getting.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Having some panels in front of you IS good for most small room recordings - they absorb the outgoing sound waves before they start bouncing around creating mud and bad reverb. Add a couple more behind you to cut down on the reflections that would then bounce back to the 'live' area of the mic.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Having some panels in front of you IS good for most small room recordings - they absorb the outgoing sound waves before they start bouncing around creating mud and bad reverb. Add a couple more behind you to cut down on the reflections that would then bounce back to the 'live' area of the mic.
Got my 24x24in panel done with 2x2 foam strips glued to it a
With about an inch between them, put it on the front on my work station behind my mic.
Did three recordings without, it behind the mic and then it on the side, also put two Merv 8 pleated furnace filters where the sound board wasn't (lol), it all helped a lot, this weekend im going to put up those three office cubicule dividers in the garage, cloth covered , should make a nice audio booth, ill keep you posted
Old 01-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Getting an acoustic guitar perfectly recorded is a tough job due to microphone, guitar brand, tone woods, strings, plectrums, playing style, and especially internal harmonics that come out on a recording but you really can't hear with your ears. This list goes on and on including room harmonics.

Record your guitar and then learn to mix the acoustic guitar. There are many tutorials on Youtube for mixing an acoustic guitar. It will take the stress off of you trying to get that perfect sound directly through a mic. And I agree that you should play the song with solo guitar and then sing to it. Use a headphone setup and metronome to keep your timing. These are only suggestions if you want this to sound more polished.

Last edited by Gary in MO; 01-19-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 AM

Here is an equalizer tutorial for acoustic guitar with a simple search.

https://talkinmusic.com/musicproduct...oustic-guitar/

It will make your recordings sound more professional. The amount of information available is endless.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
No that was done with other mic's and a lot farther away..like 2 ft
But this one is bright also
I'm working on building a studio in my garage, Picked up three Cubicle dividers (Cloth covered) That should help tone down everything but until winter is over I'm stuck inside my office with bare walls..
Do you have a recorded example of the problem that you could post?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD