The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-10-2019, 01:33 PM

I guess the type of music I listen to the most would fall into the Americana category...I know, that covers a lot of ground.
My musically formative years were the mid 60's through the 80's.:

CSN, Neil Young, James Taylor, Carol King, big Jackson Browne fan, John Prine, Jimmy Buffet, CCR, Springsteen, Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg, Kansas, REM, Clapton, Winwood, Blues, Bluegrass, Patsy Cline, Hank Sr., Allman Brothers, Buddy and Julie Miller, Seldom Scene...

I'm a big fan of Jason Isbell. He is timeless. His songs are like little short stories from Faulkner or Flannery O'Conner.

Another band I just started listening to is Blackberry Smoke out of Atlanta. Great all around band. Their acoustic sets on youtube are excellent. Great rock and roll band too.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Easier to list what I dont like.

Top 40
Nu-Metal
Emo
New Country
Ragtime
New Age
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM

I like all genres that could be heard on the radio in the 70's and 80's when I grew up and appreciating more and more 50's and 60's music. The kind of stuff classic radio stations play now if you can find one. Was exposed to and hooked on old time bluegrass and traditional Irish music as an adult. I didn't grow up listening to classical music, other than the Lone Ranger theme song, 1812 Overture during fireworks, Schroeder's piano playing on Peanuts specials, etc. Have learned to appreciate it more due to my daughter playing in band and orchestra through high school and college. So I guess you could say my musical tastes are regressing in time.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

There are very few genres I don't like, and I am not necessarily a fan of everything within the genres I do like. But it has to be music. To me, Rap is not music.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I mostly play acoustic guitar as a form of relaxation and meditation. Neil Young, Wilco, Conor Oberst, etc.

My listening habits lean more heavily towards alternative / indie. At the end of 2018, Spotify informed me that I listened to about 4000 songs, and my top artists were LCD Soundsystem and Ty Segall (both had heavy rotation, when I saw them perform). Beastie Boys and Nine Inch Nails have probably remained in my regular rotation longer than most other artists, except for maybe The Cure, New Order / Joy Division, and Social Distortion. But then I enjoy discovering new artists like Parquet Courts, Deerhunter, and Phosphorescent.

I enjoy most live or recorded music, if it's done well.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Old school southern rock - think the original ABB, and especially Marshall Tucker. Skynyrd of course, but not all the follow on clones.

Mostly though it’s alt folk/Americana - JP, Todd Snyder, Wood Brothers, McMurtry - that type of stuff. Good songwriting appeals to me more than any particular genre.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:34 PM

I generally don’t like saxophone or piano, but when I started a vinyl collection two musicians stand as my favourites: John Coltrane and Red Garland.

I’m currently making a very slow review of late 1950s and early 1960s jazz and recently discovered Grant Green and before that Wes Montgomery. I think Coltrane was a huge influence - he was spontaneous and a natural. When guitarists followed him it was an explosion of creativity.

I now look at 1963 and Beatlemania not so favourably.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 AM

On the radio, primarily '60s and '70s rock, and some folk, which is what I also play. However, live music brings me in with bluegrass, old time, jazz-rock, indie rock, blues, vintage rock back into the '50s, and even swing/big band. I love to watch musicians of various genres play live...it's all good then

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I was hypnotized by Sgt Peppers when I 1st heard it as a kid growing up in the 60's.
Got another buzz a few years later with Tommy by The Who then in the early 70's I discovered the Yes Album and all those contributed to me loving progressive or 'prog' rock.

I also came across a Windham Hill yearly compilation CD many years later and found myself buying every WH album I could find.

You had me till you mentioned the Windham Hill stuff, Bruce!
I went from the prog to the punk.
scott
Old 01-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I mostly play acoustic guitar as a form of relaxation and meditation. Neil Young, Wilco, Conor Oberst, etc.

My listening habits lean more heavily towards alternative / indie. At the end of 2018, Spotify informed me that I listened to about 4000 songs, and my top artists were LCD Soundsystem and Ty Segall (both had heavy rotation, when I saw them perform). Beastie Boys and Nine Inch Nails have probably remained in my regular rotation longer than most other artists, except for maybe The Cure, New Order / Joy Division, and Social Distortion. But then I enjoy discovering new artists like Parquet Courts, Deerhunter, and Phosphorescent.

I enjoy most live or recorded music, if it's done well.

What!? You've never been into early GbV??? When I say early I mean mid-90's to early 2000's. Love them and Capstan Shafts. It's what got me thinkig that I too could record cool music.
scott
Old 01-14-2019, 04:21 PM

I fall into a few areas of music that I really like and enjoy:

Instrumental Surf Music
I'm a huge Ventures fan along with The Shadows and Los Straightjackets.
Thankfully I play in a band that plays this genre. We have added other instrumental non-surf songs to the set list like "Albatross" and "Cry For A Shadow".

Hawaiian Slack Key
Possibly one of the most relaxing types of music. I've been studying for quite a while and enjoy playing. BP probably drops 10% when I do.

Jazz
Everything from Wes Montgomery to Norman Brown. I don't know why its not more popular, but I do know that every time I go to a concert the demographic is getting older....and that may be the problem. I wonder if the young guns of jazz look out the audience and think about the future...
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Although I've been learning and playing a lot of different kinds of music lately (including but not limited to new country, old country, bluegrass, southern rock, 80s and 90s pop, etc.), my ears have been really enjoying chillwave music. It just sort of washes over me and takes all the bad stuff away.

Here are a couple of examples if you would care to take a listen (best experienced on vinyl):

Hatchie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wez_aCxfenw

Washed Out (Live on KEXP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6DFmTEjzVY

Washed Out (Within Without album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwcmJIYKu4
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
What!? You've never been into early GbV??? When I say early I mean mid-90's to early 2000's. Love them and Capstan Shafts. It's what got me thinkig that I too could record cool music.
scott
Oops, missed this response. I haven't listened to GbV too much, but should probably throw them into the rotation somehow. With all the rain and gloomy weather, I've been playing XTC's "Skylarking" and The Cure's "Disintegration" a lot.

Stay dry in Sonoma!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic