The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Who Makes a Guitar Like This?

Hello everyone, I am a new guy at this forum, but I have spent plenty of time reading it already! Seems this is a pretty solid community of people who know their stuff.

I have spent the last 6 years paying my dues with an all-laminate Fender T-Bucket 300-ce which I bought new at Guitar Center in 2013. Great guitar, particularly because I *never* kept it in a case and I came from electric guitar, so the thinner neck and nut were perfect. However....

I am looking for a guitar that is high-quality, responsive, and balanced (but I am a big fan of bass-y acoustics), and thinner than my current guitar. Right now, mine is 4" thick at the lower bout and about 4.75" at the upper bout.

All I want is one that is thinner, like a 000, but that still has a full and balanced tone. In my dreams, I see a magical Jumbo which has 000 depth, but I haven't yet found one in reality. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The wish list:
- Thinner body like a 000 or OM
- Balanced, or slightly bass-heavy, tone
- I like the "vintage" or "Martin" voicing more than the "Modern" or "Taylor" voicing
- Responsive and good for strumming, but I have a medium-touch [having come from electric] and also am teaching myself to fingerpick

My budget is flexible, but suffice to say that $500-$1,000 would be perfect.

I've watched hundreds of videos, and I played *literally* 40 guitars last weekend at Guitar Center, but I think I overloaded my brain because I am having an awfully hard time figuring out which guitar is for me.

Who makes a skinny jumbo? Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Hmmm...Seagull makes a pretty fine Mini Jumbo. Well balanced, great note separation, can play it softly or LOUD. How do I know? It's one of my favorites! Ricci
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

On the great for money end the Martin dread jr plays amazing for its price and is all solid wood. At the higher end you can get used 000-15 or 00-15 Martin.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Guest 728

Buy used, period.

The first thing that comes to mind is a Martin 000015M (that's four zeros). They aren't super common, but you should try to find one anyway. It's exactly what you're describing, in terms of body size and tone. A sub-$1000 budget might be a problem unless you get lucky.

The obvious second choice would be the 00015M (three zeros). It's got a smaller body, but I have found it be a very capable strummer and an incredible fingerstyler, with a rich, slightly dark tone. Again, you'll have to be diligent in your search in order to stick to your budget, but if you like a bassy guitar in a smaller package, I would start with that model.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck in your search!!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Try a Blueridge BR-163A if you can find one locally. GC carries them now but their price is really high, other places like Music Arts have them much cheaper. I just got one from there on sale for $769.

It has an Adirondack Spruce top with solid Santos Rosewood back and sides in an OM size. Mine is very beautifully balanced with great bass and projects like the proverbially cannon.

I have a Martin OM-28 too which I of course love; it's a little more refined with more complex tones but the Blueridge competes very well and has been getting just as much play time. It has the vintage Martin tone and is very solidly built so it handles strumming great.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Buy used, period.

The first thing that comes to mind is a Martin 000015M (that's four zeros). They aren't super common, but you should try to find one anyway. It's exactly what you're describing, in terms of body size and tone. A sub-$1000 budget might be a problem unless you get lucky.

The obvious second choice would be the 00015M (three zeros). It's got a smaller body, but I have found it be a very capable strummer and an incredible fingerstyler, with a rich, slightly dark tone. Again, you'll have to be diligent in your search in order to stick to your budget, but if you like a bassy guitar in a smaller package, I would start with that model.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck in your search!!
I would have to go with Willie on this one. My second choice would be an Alvarez MP-60 or MF-60. The MP you would have to go used as I think they just changed production on them. They have good bass response but less than Willie's suggestion of the Martins. Both would fit in your budget.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Those responses are all very helpful, thank you!

I did not even think of the 0000, that's a great idea....I will have to keep a lookout for one.
I almost definitely want to go for a used guitar, I am just concerned about issues I can't identify -- considering how much care has to go into maintaining one of these guitars, it seems risky buying one with a mystery past.

That being said, I realize that my price range is relatively low for a quality guitar, so used may be the way to go. For used options, I have been considering a 000-15 Special which I found for about $1,000, but I kind of want as much response as I can get so I may like scalloped bracing more. That led me to the 000-16GT, but for a bit more than I want to spend.

I was looking at the 000-13e and 000RSG guitars for new/almost-new options on the Martin side.
However, the Blueridge BR-143A has been calling my name, too! Forward-shifted bracing, Adirondack spruce, etc. seem right up my alley. I found one for something like $750. I thought I liked Rosewood, but recently decided I like Mahogany more for b/s in a larger guitar....I love that woody, balanced tone.

Finally, I have almost pressed the "buy" button a few times on Recording King guitars. Namely, the RO-T16 (they got me with the torrefied top) and the RO-310 (but I read that it has poor build quality).

Right now I think I am leaning towards either:
-- A used Martin 000RSG or 000-16GT
-- The Martin DJR-10 (I played the older DJR with the spruce sunburst and liked that for sure)
-- A Blueridge BR-143A
-- A cheaper guitar like....a Recording King RO-T16 or RO-M9M

The RO-M9M is an impossible value for money, it seems. I see an open-box example for $270, and it's an all-solid 000?! Someone hold me back....
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

You want a carbon fiber Emerald X7. Go listen to some youtubes, and reviews of them here. Big tone, and small. The Martin 000's mush out unless they're played gently, the Emerald with handle anything you throw at it and still be articulate. Unless you can afford a parlor from a custom builder for many thousands, there is nothing that will stand with an X7. You may like an X20 Emerald. A little bigger but not much.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagetom View Post

All I want is one that is thinner, like a 000, but that still has a full and balanced tone. In my dreams, I see a magical Jumbo which has 000 depth, but I haven't yet found one in reality. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It's called a Martin M or 0000 body. Martin's Jumbo is a 0000 with a dreadnought depth.

So, you want a Martin M-36. (Unfortunately they are 2.5 times your budget).

If you are looking at Martin 000-16s then I suggest you also look at a Larrivee OM-03R or OM-40R. These can be had used under $1000.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
It's called a Martin M or 0000 body. Martin's Jumbo is a 0000 with a dreadnought depth.

So, you want a Martin M-36. (note these are not inexpensive, at least by my standards)
Yes the Martin 0000/M model has a body depth of 4 1/8"

The Martin Jumbo shares the same profile but has 4 7/8" depth like a dreadnought.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Well in an effort to muddy the waters even further. See if you can play a Martin 000-17. They're in the $1800 neighborhood new but you may be able to find a used one if your patient. Very nice and dry Martin vintage tone, but in all honesty it almost sounds like an old Gibson. I got mine in November and it's the one I reach for most and it carries the vast majority of my gigs now.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am a new guy at this forum, but I have spent plenty of time reading it already! Seems this is a pretty solid community of people who know their stuff.

I have spent the last 6 years paying my dues with an all-laminate Fender T-Bucket 300-ce which I bought new at Guitar Center in 2013. Great guitar, particularly because I *never* kept it in a case and I came from electric guitar, so the thinner neck and nut were perfect. However....

I am looking for a guitar that is high-quality, responsive, and balanced (but I am a big fan of bass-y acoustics), and thinner than my current guitar. Right now, mine is 4" thick at the lower bout and about 4.75" at the upper bout.

The wish list:
- Thinner body like a 000 or OM
- Balanced, or slightly bass-heavy, tone
- I like the "vintage" or "Martin" voicing more than the "Modern" or "Taylor" voicing
- Responsive and good for strumming, but I have a medium-touch [having come from electric] and also am teaching myself to fingerpick

My budget is flexible, but suffice to say that $500-$1,000 would be perfect.

I've watched hundreds of videos, and I played *literally* 40 guitars last weekend at Guitar Center, but I think I overloaded my brain because I am having an awfully hard time figuring out which guitar is for me.

Who makes a skinny jumbo? Thank you all for your help!
The problem you are going to encounter is one of simple physics. Bass needs to be able to push a larger volume of air for the low frequencies to develop, so the physical size of the guitar will, to an extent, govern how much bass it will produce. A thin body won't necessarily give you that. This isn't set in stone, however, and a smaller and thinner body can produce more bass, but only in relation to the mid-range and trebles which could be a matter of perception of more bass rather than the reality.

As far as physical size is concerned the huge Gibson SJ200, for example, does not produce as much in the way of bass or loudness despite the volume of air it contains, nor what its physical size might suggest. Much of that is due to the wood used in its construction; a rosewood SJ200 produces so much bass that it overwhelms. The more traditional maple model tends to be more biased toward the mids and upper mids and is far better balanced, tonally.

My suggestion? If possible don't limit yourself to physical size and play a few dreadnoughts; in my experience this design produces more bass than any other.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Well in an effort to muddy the waters even further. See if you can play a Martin 000-17. They're in the $1800 neighborhood new but you may be able to find a used one if your patient. Very nice and dry Martin vintage tone, but in all honesty it almost sounds like an old Gibson. I got mine in November and it's the one I reach for most and it carries the vast majority of my gigs now.
Actually, they're closer to $1200 if you go through a forum sponsor.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The problem you are going to encounter is one of simple physics. Bass needs to be able to push a larger volume of air for the low frequencies to develop, so the physical size of the guitar will, to an extent, govern how much bass it will produce. A thin body won't necessarily give you that. This isn't set in stone, however, and a smaller and thinner body can produce more bass, but only in relation to the mid-range and trebles which could be a matter of perception of more bass rather than the reality.

As far as physical size is concerned the huge Gibson SJ200, for example, does not produce as much in the way of bass or loudness despite the volume of air it contains, nor what its physical size might suggest. Much of that is due to the wood used in its construction; a rosewood SJ200 produces so much bass that it overwhelms. The more traditional maple model tends to be more biased toward the mids and upper mids and is far better balanced, tonally.

My suggestion? If possible don't limit yourself to physical size and play a few dreadnoughts; in my experience this design produces more bass than any other.
Correct, you can’t get the deep bass, Martin sound from a thin-bodied guitar. I once owned a great SCGC OM that sounded far bigger than I thought possible, but it just didn’t give me what you describe as your favored sound.

For your price you can find a great K.Yairi Dred if you’re patient and shop around. Good luck.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Finally, I have almost pressed the "buy" button a few times on Recording King guitars. Namely, the RO-T16 (they got me with the torrefied top) and the RO-310 (but I read that it has poor build quality).

Right now I think I am leaning towards either:
-- A used Martin 000RSG or 000-16GT
-- The Martin DJR-10 (I played the older DJR with the spruce sunburst and liked that for sure)
-- A Blueridge BR-143A
-- A cheaper guitar like....a Recording King RO-T16 or RO-M9M

The RO-M9M is an impossible value for money, it seems. I see an open-box example for $270, and it's an all-solid 000?! Someone hold me back....
I think you said that quite eloquently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion