The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 PM

Default In Ear Monitor Users- what do you use?

Just an informal polling of the crowd to see what folks are using. Seemed like a good time to bring it up again as several companies have phased out different models that have been discussed in this forum's archived posts. For example, Ultimate Ears has phased out their UE4's and 64 Audio has discontinued several variations of the popular A2 models:

I'm getting ear impressions made tomorrow to upgrade my current "stock" Shure's and am bouncing back and forth between the custom fit companies - Ultimate Ears, 64 Audio, Alclair, Westone, etc.

Also wondering why you chose your particular set and how many drivers you think are enough, etc?

Lastly, what wireless transmitter are you using?

Leaning towards these right now:
https://alclair.com/monitorshop/reference/

06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 AM

Shure 425s here and very happy with them.

I had custom moulds made but I actually prefer the supplied foam buds.

No messing around with wireless systems for me.....I use an extension cable which I plug into a small mixer next to my pedal board which is fed by our DL32R.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 AM

I have an Audio 2000s that works great. It is a lower priced system (Amazon) but for solo/trio work it has performed excellently. I need new buds but have been using the BOSE earbuds since they do let in some ambient sound. The Shure systems are very good just more $.

Remember that custom molds are excellent but they will fill your ears. Using them will take time and practice. I had molds made 3 times by an audiologist and all three times they were wrong sized. I personally will go with the Shure buds with the double or triple drivers. I also just put a very low mix in my ears - enough for me to hear my vocals and guitar and stay on pitch. Ultimately they should protect your ears and give you good clarity no matter which kind of IEMs you use.

My daughter is an audiologist - she was not the one that fitted me three times though! She was still a student then.
Davidc
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 AM

Boy, I could use some advice from successful in-ear users. When I use in-ears I find that the guitar is coming through loud and clear (as is any other source of music) but my voice sounds so odd with the fingers-in-the-ear effect that I just can't get used to them. Is there a way around this? Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM

I've had great experiences with 1964 Audio. I have a pair of their dual drivers.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM

I am looking at the Westone IEMs that passively let in about as much stage and audience sound as a good pair of musicians hearing protectors. Does anyone here have experience with the Westone Am Pro 10, 20, 30, or 50 IEMs?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

gfirob,
It could be that your vocals are just too loud in your ear. I have not had the problem - maybe just lucky.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Boy, I could use some advice from successful in-ear users. When I use in-ears I find that the guitar is coming through loud and clear (as is any other source of music) but my voice sounds so odd with the fingers-in-the-ear effect that I just can't get used to them. Is there a way around this? Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks
This is called the occlusion effect. You just have to get used to it I believe:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occlusion_effect
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Great discussion, thanks all! I was fortunate to have an anal retentive audiologist. Supersmart, but also wasn’t happy with some minor, almost invisible imperfections. So she ended up making me two complete sets, mouth open & mouth closed from six mold attempts. Or maybe she just wanted to hang out because she was bored ...I dunno.

Some headphones solve the total external isolation problem using ambient ports or plugs built into each earpiece. Another simple solution would be to run an on-stage talkback microphone and put it into the mix. I know better than to mention just taking one out on stage, because I don’t want to instigate a “tastes great, less filling” Cold War lol 😂 there are a lot of strong opinions about that and hearing protection, all valid.

I’m leaning towards triple drivers and hoping for a nice stereo field. I’m thinking of Westone ES30’s now as they aren’t entirely cold poured plastic but have a body heat activated end piece. Sounds like it may be more comfy, but I don’t really know.

I’m currently running a wired solution as well. Behringer P2. Which brings up, does it really matter if you have $2000 headphones when you run them into a $39 gizmo? I think the jury is out…

06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------
Old 03-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I am looking at the Westone IEMs that passively let in about as much stage and audience sound as a good pair of musicians hearing protectors. Does anyone here have experience with the Westone Am Pro 10, 20, 30, or 50 IEMs?
I currently use Westones and I think they are very good. Great fit and are comfortable. I use to use some Shures, and while they sounded great were never as comfortable as the Westones (which came with a varied selection of styles and sizes of ear buds).
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ak-Plyr

If I'm forced to go in-ear, I have a pair of MEELECTRONICS M6·Pro which are very good. The tips one chooses make all the difference in the world. They are inexpensive and effective, detachable cables (on set for music, the other for phone). I don't need in-ears often enough to invest more than $60.

But if I have my choice, I still wear cans (yes old-school headphones) on stage. The fidelity and noise rejection are better.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Akoustic,

I have used Shure 425 with Comply tips (the grey one, pro maybe?) for 5 or 6 six years and like them a lot.

Gfirob,

That same thing happens for me if I don’t have my vocals loud enough in the mix. Seems like I need to have my vocals slightly louder in the IEMs than what’s coming through my my head.

Tim
Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas. My current Shure 215's are alright, except they tend to slip out over time and it's become distracting. That's why I'm looking around...
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------
Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Thanks for the ideas. My current Shure 215's are alright, except they tend to slip out over time and it's become distracting. That's why I'm looking around...
Squeeze the buds together before inserting them and hold them in place in your ears for around 15 seconds while they expand. Also you can attach the wires with surgical tape to the back of your neck which prevents any pulling. Works for me.

215s are ok, I've used them in the past but 425s are a big step up and the best value in the Shure range imho.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification