The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Ibanez Artcore AS7312 Semihollow Guitar Trans Cherry Red

I own one of these Ibanez 12 strings, it's a beautiful guitar !!! I am about to switch the string orientation, and nut, over to the Richenbacher string style..........the Rick is strung with the heavy string (of the set of 2) first, and the octave next to it. That's what gives the Rick 12's their extreme jangle sound. It's an experiment to see if I can achieve that sound by doing a kind of "reverse set up" on the strings if you get my drift, i will keep you all in the loop as to how it goes !!! I figure I have to buy a nut for a Rick 12 to have the strings really seated properly, and do the relief, and radius at the bridge, you know, the whole set up so it works right !!! Any of you luthiers or setup guys have any input, it would be interesting and helpful to me. thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes !!!
Graham
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 AM

TMK the Rick neck is a good deal narrower than the Ibanez (nice guitar BTW - I've played a couple. my wife is a 12-string player in need of an electric, and the AS7312 and Gretsch 5422-12 are on my short list) as is the string spacing, so if you're looking for a quick fix this isn't it; that said, since you seem to have the requisite skills you'd probably be better off either [1] using the old nut as a template and making one of your own from a bone blank, or [2] buying a pre-made 12-string nut and performing the necessary modifications (re-slotting, end trimming, etc.), which should also buy you some extra string spacing if that's your preference...

Good luck - let us know how it turns out...
Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Default ordered the nut ...

So I took the measurements of the nut, and ordered 2 blanks from Graphtech today. I was very surprised the neck at the nut is only 1 & 11/16" !!! I thought for sure it was 1.75"......... anyway my project has begun! this ought to be interesting !!!
Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Looking forward to not only how things went technically to setup but how the change in tone is. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 AM

I also ordered a set of nut saws, 3 double edged stainless steel for $ 29.00 from Amazon, Ill be able to cut the new tusq blanks when they arrive, one an original copy of the Ibanez to replace the original plastic one I will be removing, and one for the experimental "Rick style" replacement. It's nice to have the original for measurements of the height of the cut at the first fret so the action will be the same as the original, and also help with the string spacements for playability. I've got spacing info from stewmac that I can refer to when I'm calculating the spacing !!! It's exciting to anticipate a succesfull result !
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Interesting ....Post some photos when you get a chance please

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
So I took the measurements of the nut, and ordered 2 blanks from Graphtech today. I was very surprised the neck at the nut is only 1 & 11/16" !!! I thought for sure it was 1.75"......... anyway my project has begun! this ought to be interesting !!!
Actually if you look into a nut for a Rickenbacker 660-12, you will find that this model *only* has a 1.75" nut width and might work. You should check to verify that the thickness of the slot will accommodate it. Depending on your level of experience (I don't want to assume anything) you probably want to try to get a pre-slotted nut, as 12-string nuts are not simply twice as much work...let's just say that they are *extremely* difficult to get the spacing correct.

I have a Ricky 660-12, BTW...wonderful to play, and the ONLY Rick I can even get my fingers into. This is the same guitar as the Tom Petty Signature 12-string.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 03-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Actually if you look into a nut for a Rickenbacker 660-12, you will find that this model *only* has a 1.75" nut width and might work. You should check to verify that the thickness of the slot will accommodate it. Depending on your level of experience (I don't want to assume anything) you probably want to try to get a pre-slotted nut, as 12-string nuts are not simply twice as much work...let's just say that they are *extremely* difficult to get the spacing correct.

I have a Ricky 660-12, BTW...wonderful to play, and the ONLY Rick I can even get my fingers into. This is the same guitar as the Tom Petty Signature 12-string.
Thank you for the info !!! I went ahead and ordered the nut, the dimensions are almost exactly the same as the original Ibanez nut !!! I'm sure it will be of good use one way or anuter !!! Pardon the Pun !!! Someone asked for photos, my Nikon is in for service and I will have to find my back up plus the battery and charger, I will try to accomodate !!!

Last edited by Graham H; 03-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post

So I got the Rick nut, it is very thin, more so than the original nut for the Ibanez, but I can use it for string spacing measurements and slotting of the blank I ordered from Graph Tech (coming from Canada). Still waiting for the blanks, but when they show up, I'll get this going !!!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting project. Looking forward to the results.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 AM

I agree that it the "lower first" strike does seem to make a difference. On my electric 12-string I'll just upstroke to get the "Rick Effect".

The other biggie for classic Byrds' style is lots of compression. The Janglebox stompbox compressor is an easy way to get that sound.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars