The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-07-2019, 05:15 PM

The iRig Nano amp looks good; I wish it was rechargeable instead of needing batteries.

The only one that I can find so far that does not need batteries is the AROMA.

I want one that is the size of the little Joyo, but is rechargeable.

I have spent the last couple of hours messing around with plastic drinking cups and painter's tape to try to make something to naturally amplify the acoustic sound (like one of those old-fashioned megaphones) coming off the guitar. I think I managed to get a slight volume increase when I stuck the drinking cup on the headstock, pointing back at my ear, but I'm probably wasting my time. If I do get something like this to work, it'll probably end up requiring more effort than simply using a regular amp.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I'm looking for a solution that is as portable as an acoustic...
Um, have you considered a hollow-body guitar - lighter than your Tele, more natural acoustic response, whole different tonal spectrum when you plug it in - besides, you could always use another guitar...
Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Roland Cube and a set of headphones.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Um, have you considered a hollow-body guitar - lighter than your Tele, more natural acoustic response, whole different tonal spectrum when you plug it in - besides, you could always use another guitar...
Well...yeah! But I don't really need one.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I like to play my telecaster (G&L ASAT Classic Tribute) unplugged when I need to be quiet, but I would like it to be just a tad louder, e.g. when the heating kicks on.

I have one of those little Vox headphone amps that plugs straight into the output jack, but I would rather not use headphones.

I am imagining a tiny battery-powered amp that I can attach to my tele on the body top, behind the ash tray, using a piece of stick-on velcro, and plug in to it using a patch cable. I searched on Amazon for something like this, but the couple of things I found looked a bit cheesy. I don't really need great tone, because I'm just trying to hear a slightly louder version of the unplugged tone, so as long as it's clean it will presumably be OK.

Has anyone done something like this before?

Any other tips for getting a slight volume increase without cords, headphones, or carrying amps around? (I love just being able to grab the guitar only, like I can with an acoustic). I guess playing whilst facing a wall / corner might help, but it's inconvenient, and makes me feel like I've been naughty, LOL.
OK, here's another thought. Start with one of those little Vox Amplugs that have a built-in 1/4" plug that goes right into the guitar with no cord, then...

...instead of headphones/earbuds plugged into the 1/8" headphone out, use one of those tiny speakers that are attached directly to their own 1/8'" plug (like people used to use with their iphones before bluetooth became so popular.)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...4aAppvEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Spea...2265&s=gateway
Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 AM

Yes..Roland Micro Cube and headphones....use it everyday.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Well...yeah! But I don't really need one.
Who said anything about need...?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM

I've tried a bunch. Now I use a Yamaha THR5 but I think the Danelectro Honeytone might be what you're looking for. $20, great sound, had clip to strap onto guitar strap. Clean and dirty, 9 volt. super small and fairly loud if needed. I have 2 of them and still use them for certain occasions.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 AM

I have the little Honeytone and a adapter for it. It's adorable and sounds pretty good. I have a universal battery charger so I will just use a rechargable 9v battery for it for when I don't want to plug it in.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I went ahead and ordered the Joyo JA-01. It's dirt cheap at $12, so I won't mind if it doesn't work out.

I wish it was rechargeable, but if works OK and eats 9-volt batteries then I'll get a rechargeable 9-volt battery and charger.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM

i did too- LOL
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone!

I went ahead and ordered the Joyo JA-01. It's dirt cheap at $12, so I won't mind if it doesn't work out.

I wish it was rechargeable, but if works OK and eats 9-volt batteries then I'll get a rechargeable 9-volt battery and charger.
Following up here by replying to my own post!

I received the amp and it's currently taped with painter's tape to the front of my tele, plugged in with a patch cable, and it is a winner!

I should qualify that by saying that it achieves its goal of letting me play at a volume slightly higher than unplugged. It's about twelve dollars worth of tone, LOL, and the lower I can keep the volume, the better, although it can be fun to have that lo-fi, trash-can sound at times--it might be good for slide!

So this is great, because I don't have to tote an amp. Someone should make and amp like this with about fifty or a hundred dollars worth of tone, then you'd be able to have actual, decent sound, worth playing at whatever volume it will go to.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:04 AM

yours came already? was it a US shipper or china? only one i found at that price was in china
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
yours came already? was it a US shipper or china? only one i found at that price was in china
It came from "Game Corner US", and was shipped from Orlando, Florida, via UPS.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 AM

cripe, ill be waiting weeks for mine i guess!
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars