The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Default Experience with Reverb...

I don't know if any of you've had experience with purchasing a guitar on Reverb (I suspect so), but I thought I would share a good experience...

I have several acoustic guitars and have wanted a 12-string for a pretty long time. I think of a 12-string guitar more-or-less as a novelty, because the number of songs played on a 12-string is minimal compared to the what is played on a 6-string guitar. But for the right song, you've just got to play it on a 12-string guitar. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), Give a Little (Supertramp), Hotel California (Eagles), Hide Your Love Away (Beatles), and Stuck in The Middle (Steelers Wheel) are some that come to mind. A 12-string guitar is not my primary guitar, but I really wanted one without spending a fortune. I'd really like to buy Guild 12-String, preferably a 512 or JF-30, but the king of 12-string guitars is expensive and currently more than I wanted to spend on a 12-string guitar.

I was shopping around and found Reverb, which until recently I never heard of. In the meantime I visited the local shop where I have purchased several guitars and found a Taylor 356ce that I liked. New it goes for $2,099, and it is occasionally marked down to about $1,800. Still more than I wanted to spend. Then I found one on Reverb. It was marked as being in "Mint" condition. My opinion is generally that you should play the guitar you want to but before you buy it, especially with Gibsons. But because of the way Taylor guitars are produced, the quality is pretty consistent and you stand a pretty good chance of getting a good guitar even if you don't play it first. While I was shopping around, the guitar was sold and I told the seller that if something went wrong to let me know because I would still be interested. Lo and behold he contacted me a few days later and told me that the buyer never paid, so he was going to make the guitar available again. I negotiated the price with him and I got a like new 2015 356ce. When I got the guitar, it was packed impeccably. I cleaned the fretboard with very fine steel wool and dressed it with D'Addario Fretboard conditioner, cleaned and polished the guitar according to Taylor's video, and naturally restrung it with D'Addario EJ-38 strings. Aside from a hardly noticeable shallow ding, the guitar is perfect and like new. Even the case is in like new condition!

One of these days, if I really get into the 12-string, then I will justify my upgrade to a Guild. But so far I am very happy with my new guitar and my experience with Reverb.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 03-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I was a customer on Reverb before I ever considered starting a business. However my experience with them has been so good that I now sell my products exclusively through them. Just like any online presence, you have to be cautious of scammers, but as far as doing business goes I think Reverb is aces.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I too have been very pleased with Reverb.com. I have had over 50 great transactions both buying and selling in the last 3 or 4 years. Reverb is taking away a lot of my business from ebay. I'm fine with that.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 03-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Couldn’t agree more - reverb is great! Really glad to have a safe and dedicated marketplace. I know it’s put some pressure on dealers, but I think it increases market efficiency and has forced dealers to evolve to find new and better ways to provide value.

Really glad you had a good experience and, especially, that I can say that it’s par for the course!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM

My overall experience has been very positive. I am able to find exactly what I am looking for at a good price, accurate described, and shipped promptly. Better than eBay!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:28 PM

I love reverb, I've had my share of 'odd' experiences there and each time their staff has been more than kind and right there with me.

I've bought a slightly used flamenco guitar there for half the price of what it sells retail new, The only reason it was marked down was because of some weird spots in the grain or finish and some very very minor scratches on the back from playing (youd have to look at it under a light to see them). When i got it i was shocked, it looked brand new! all it needed was a fretboard clean and fret polishing. (also new strings)

The 'odd' experiences I've had there for anyone who's curious are
(1) ordering a guitar from overseas (russia) (the brand 'doff') I can go into more detail if anyones curious about that experience. Im still waiting to receive the guitar (ordered it January 11th)

(2) Ordered a Harmony h913 two weeks ago and unfortunately UPS badly damaged it during shipping. Luckily the nice people at reverb cover return shipping and the cost of repairs to either the seller or the buyer if they choose to keep it

So reverb is a great market place! They've certainly got your back and if you ever get burned they are there to guide you through what to do. Great customer service. And I feel alot more comfortable negotiating prices on reverb than I've ever felt negotiating with big chain dealers like guitarcenter sweetwater etc
Old 03-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have bought over 20 guitars through Reverb. All but 1 showed up in the described shape, and reverb 100% satisfied me on the one that wasn't as described.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 PM

I have had no issues with sellers from Ebay or Reverb. It's important to remember we aren't buying from Reverb (except for the occasional purchase from the Chicago Music Exchange), we are buying from individuals who have listed their wares on Reverb. I think it doesn't matter if you're buying from Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay - or any other site - it the buyer's responsibility to communicate wants and needs to the seller, wherever they are, to make sure they are getting what they expect and want.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Glad you got a nice guitar at a good deal. I think this is a good reminder why buying used is usually the best way to go no matter where you buy it. The most important thing when you are buying is making sure you get what you are paying for and the seller is honest and up front. When that is done, it doesn't matter if it is Reverb, Kijiji, eBay or the local pawn shop.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I like Reverb and have great success with it as well.

I often joke that it is my favorite internet evil. It's dangerous for my wallet.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I have had no issues with sellers from Ebay or Reverb. It's important to remember we aren't buying from Reverb (except for the occasional purchase from the Chicago Music Exchange), we are buying from individuals who have listed their wares on Reverb. I think it doesn't matter if you're buying from Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay - or any other site - it the buyer's responsibility to communicate wants and needs to the seller, wherever they are, to make sure they are getting what they expect and want.
But Craigslist doesn't back up their people like Reverb (and even eBay) do. I've been an avid eBay user for more years than I'd like to admit yet I'd think twice about a guitar there. In fact, there was a guy selling a 205 Taylor near to me just a few months ago and I messaged him (in full view of eBay) asking if I could look at the guitar. Well, he was asking almost $400 more than I thought it was worth and I told him so (his ad said "or best offer"). He said he wouldn't come down more than $100 but he'd "consider" a $200 reduction IF we took it outside of eBay. Well I know that saves him major commission money (PayPal and eBay fees ain't cheap to sellers) but I refused as a) too much money and 2) against eBay rules. The very next day I got an email from eBay stating I am being warned to trying to purchase something offsite that was listed there. Seller is NOT cool and obviously butt hurt I didn't bite.

Literally 2 weeks later and I'm looking at Reverb and I see a 2018(!) model from a well known (but smaller) retailer out of State. Same guitar but V-Class, never sold to the public and mint. PLUS it was the $400 less I was willing to spend (including the shipping). I considered it for about 24 hours and then....Reverb had it on sale at an even greater discount so I HAD to buy it. Sure enough, it arrived when it was supposed to, was impeccably packed (it even came in the Taylor case which I did NOT expect!), in PERFECT condition and it plays beautifully for a brand new guitar. I went back on eBay and I watched the 2015 guy actually raise his price by $300 and then slowly drop it to where he's now selling it for less than I offered and it's STILL higher than I got the 2018 for (and still unsold as of this morning). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Reverb!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
But Craigslist doesn't back up their people like Reverb (and even eBay) do. !
There’s nothing to “back up”. Craigslist is simply a listing site, not a selling site. Sales are meant to be face to face with payment done person to person not done through a listing-service conduit. There’s no comparison.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Reverb is a great place. I have 20 years of generally good eBay guitar sales too.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:43 AM

Ditto here after some 20+ deals on Reverb.

Personally, I always buy new items from my local dealer - if he can get them. I shop local, buy local, encourage local as much as I can. It's good for everyone in my community.

Reverb comes in handy when/if I am after used items or when/if I sell my used gear. It is a great resource and their fee structure is very reasonable. I am not convinced, though, that it is the "best" place to buy new items.

Now, as for your 12 string. I love mine and sure never saw it as a "novelty". Leave the canned-music behind and tune to DADGAD or Open C or Orkney or to so many others and you will hardly want to put it down.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 AM

As another poster said, it's not the site so much as the people who buy/sell on it. I've have the fantastic luck to interact with great buyers and great sellers. The best advice I can give is to always ask questions before consummating a sale to give you an impression of who you are dealing with. Great communications usually equals great experience.

Eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion