The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Question What is the best all tube amp to get..

Hello people First post on this forum,

I am thinking of buying a nice Japanese Tokai Electric Guitar, I also have 5 acoustic guitars now. I heard that I can plug them into an Electric guitar amp by using a magnetic pickup in the sound hole is this true ?

Either way I am thinking of getting an all tube electric guitar amp. I have some Celestion Pulsonic 12" cones on on the way inside a Marshall 1971 4x12 Cabinet.

I have at the a 1980's KMD GV100D Combo 100w amp that I am refurbishing at the moment...but I would love to get an all tube amp.

Can you guy's make some recommendations, Fender are doing some Re-issue hand wired all tube amps at the mo. I would also consider buying an old valve amp. Nothing on their web site is as powerful as the one I have, but mine is a hybrid so.

I would really like a clean sound.
I guess out of everything let's just day dream here what would what you guy's recommend for a super clean sound ?

Jay
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 PM

I think that the sound that most people associate with tubes is at least mildly distorted. If you are looking for a clean sound you can probably get better for cheaper by avoiding tubes.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Tone King Imperial MK II. 2 channels, blackface clean and fender tweed. Awesome tremolo and reverb. Super high quality hand-built amp. About $2000 used.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-16-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
what would what you guy's recommend for a super clean sound ?
Welcome, Jay! While you certainly can run a soundhole magnetic pickup through a tube amp, I don’t think you’ll find the tone to be especially “acoustic” sounding. I think different instruments work best with amps that are maximized for their specific tones and frequencies. Basses around best through bass amps, acoustics through solid state acoustic amps, electric guitars through tube amps. Yes, it’s more of an investment, but I have yet to hear a do-it-all amp that truly does it all.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 PM

A Fender Deluxe Reverb, Super Reverb or Twin Reverb
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Bugera V55 - loads of clean 6L6 tube power (55W - switchable to 25W) and headroom, plenty of EQ control, best built-in digi-verb I've heard, and at $449 street (can be had for less) an inexpensive and toneful way to get into the tube amp game...
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Bugera V55 - loads of clean 6L6 tube power (55W - switchable to 25W) and headroom, plenty of EQ control, best built-in digi-verb I've heard, and at $449 street (can be had for less) an inexpensive and toneful way to get into the tube amp game...
Steve is right on with the Bugera V55. It's about the lowest cost, good quality all tube amp around. Don't buy a used one; these have been improved a lot.

For classic Fender sound it's hard to beat a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, about $1100.

For a very cool but expensive sound, the new Mesa Boogie California Tweed is very cool for about $1900. The video on the Sweetwater website sounds great to my ears.

Welcome to the AGF!

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 PM

You could get an all tube McIntosh with a pair of Dynaudio reference monitors for under 10 grand.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 PM

There is no best, and each of us has their own budget and taste.

I like Fender cleans and only play at home and record, so I chose this, a hand wired Fender Princeton Reverb clone: https://www.vintagesoundamps.com/pro...inceton-style/

There are a lot of boutique builders if you go this route.

Some folks want and can afford original well maintained Blackface amps.

Some folks want and can afford original well maintained Silverface amps.

Some folks love the reissues.

The Bugera that Steve mentioned is another valid choice.

I've heard good clean tones from Marshalls and Orange amps as well.

Lots of valid options.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
There is no best,...
There are/is no best in any category. Only what works for you. When I need an amp I take a guitar to the stores I'm going to be shopping at and see what sounds the best to me for the application I need it for.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezra1 View Post
Or Princeton Reverb
Old 02-26-2019, 10:04 PM

I have a Fender Bassman that sounds great with two different Fishman blend style pickups in various Martin guitars played at a reasonable volume. If I crank the amp to ear splitting levels, the beautiful acoustic tone of the guitars breaks up/distorts a bit. The amp obviously sounds great with electric guitars, too, and does so at all volumes.

So yes, you can get great, naturally sounding acoustic tones through the right tube amp with the right pickup when played at a reasonable volume. If you wanted the best sounding amp for your electrics but also wanted to poke around with your acoustic through it at home, I'd say go for it. If you wanted to gig with your acoustic through it, though, I'd say there are better options.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Scott View Post
I think that the sound that most people associate with tubes is at least mildly distorted. If you are looking for a clean sound you can probably get better for cheaper by avoiding tubes.
Yup. I love tube amps, but for electric guitar with mild to ragged distortion. For acoustic guitar with a clean sound, you probably don't want a tube amp, hence the existence of dedicated acoustic guitar amps that are nearly always solid state.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

For me it is a Fender Blues Jr. 15watts of Acoustic blues tube tone. Honey Boy Edwards showed me the magic.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezra1 View Post

These are the authentic sound of rock & roll. For a few bucks less you can get a Fender Deville 410. Gotta go with the vintage ones - no reissues!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars