The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 PM

maybe this has even more significance today...

Old 08-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I also think there have been a few torrified players over the years - especially in the 70s.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I also think there have been a few torrified players over the years - especially in the 70s.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Thought I saw something to the effect that torrified wood was much harder to bend?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Keef! Keef! Keef!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Keef! Keef! Keef!
i had to search to see what was causing that, and i turned up this:

http://www.ronankavanagh.ie/musician...ians-get-sore/

These pictures, taken by Francesco Carrozini makes it obvious to this rheumatologist, that Keith has well established osteoarthritis (OA) of his fingers.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
Thought I saw something to the effect that torrified wood was much harder to bend?
My understanding is that it's more brittle and prone to breaking, so that would tie in with what you're suggesting.

whm
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Keef! Keef! Keef!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
Am I alone in thinking that this is no replacement for the natural aging process.

That say after 20 years a torrified guitar will not sound comparable to a guitar that aged naturally?

Am I the only one terrified of torrified (and other attempts to unnaturally apply "age" to a guitar)?

LostDog
I think the premise is a bit off. The goal of torrefaction is to crystallize the resins to achieve better tone, like the aging process naturally does over time. So the goal is not to age the wood, but achieve the same tonal result a lot faster. To deliver more total guitars with a richer tone than the natural aging process does on its own.

As you've heard, many luthiers are pursuing this and seeking to perfect it. Taylor and Martin will be expanding its use. The train has left the station and they're not afraid of it, but actually racing to endorse it through their action.

And will it sound the same after 20 years? Folks don't wanna wait, that's the whole point.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 08-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Phased in marketing...

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Welcome to the instant gratification age. Have your guitar be 50 years old the day it is built. Seriously though, torrification is the flavour of the month right now. Will this make a crap guitar sound good.....no. Will it make a beautiful guitar sound even better...to most folks ears...no. Will it make your guitar fold up like a card house in ten years...HMMMMM, maybe. Jury is still out on that one.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
Am I alone in thinking that this is no replacement for the natural aging process.

That say after 20 years a torrified guitar will not sound comparable to a guitar that aged naturally?

Am I the only one terrified of torrified (and other attempts to unnaturally apply "age" to a guitar)?

LostDog
Far from the only one, my friend. I think there are philosophical issues overlooked by many of the proponents of this process. Noting wrong with new methods, etc...but most will flock to it because of the "short-cutting" the aging process idea. And it gives Taylor yet one more thing to market.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post
I think the premise is a bit off. The goal of torrefaction is to crystallize the resins to achieve better tone, like the aging process naturally does over time.
Sorry but no. it is to reduce the amount of hemicellulose.

Doing the backs and sides is a different kettle of fish. I am not sure if sides bend as well after the process. The back might be ok but it does reduce the strength of the wood. Might be just as well to thin the unbaked sides and backs rather than cook them. Stiffen them up with the bracing. We'll see how things pan out.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
I think there are philosophical issues overlooked by many of the proponents of this process.
Really? I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D28A1941 View Post
Just curious - companies torrify the braces and tops, but I never read about them cooking the back and sides. In all the golden era Martins, all of the wood aged over time, not just the top. I think the back and side wood affect guitar tone as well.

Anyone know why, besides being costly?
I visited the Martin factory yesterday. I had lunch with one of my reps, Jason, and this very conversation came up. He doesn't run in the circles that decide what to do about torrefaction, but he said it's being discussed.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion