The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
They just sent you a replacement battery? I was under the impression that the issue is with certain amps themselves and they were replacing the whole unit.
No, they replaced the whole S1 Pro. I can see where that might be confusing, but the issue is the battery losing charge, but it doesn't seem to be a battery issue, but some kind of phantom draw.

Perhaps I should have said: I tested the replacement S1 Pro's battery issue, with the result being the same.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
That is what keeps me looking into this. I was drawn to the S1 Pro due to its size, sound, portability, Bluetooth, and battery power. That's why I'm frustrated it is being a bit of a pain. If I just wanted something that I could use plugged in all the time that was smaller I would have opted for the QSC K8.2 or the CP 8 or something.

I just want this to work as promised.

Didn't get a chance to call today, hopefully tomorrow.
Totally agreed, many options out there if plug in is required, haven't see other manufacturers have similar problems reported here. Acus, Fishman, Elite Acoustics, AER all have rechargeable Amps.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
No, they replaced the whole S1 Pro. I can see where that might be confusing, but the issue is the battery losing charge, but it doesn't seem to be a battery issue, but some kind of phantom draw.

Perhaps I should have said: I tested the replacement S1 Pro's battery issue, with the result being the same.
Yes, that makes more sense. What doesn't make sense is that the replacement S1 seems to have the exact same issue!

Has anyone that has noticed the 50%/week drain tried fully charging the battery, removing it and allowing to sit a week then re-installing and checking the charge? That would be a huge indicator that the amp is the issue.

Also, have others that have gotten replacements all since noted that their new ones no longer show the drain?

I think I'm going to have to head on over to the Bose forum where I assume this issue is getting a lot more attention.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Has anyone that has noticed the 50%/week drain tried fully charging the battery, removing it and allowing to sit a week then re-installing and checking the charge?

I think I'm going to have to head on over to the Bose forum where I assume this issue is getting a lot more attention.
Never mind. Just went over to that thread and saw that people have done exactly as I wondered and the batteries hold their charge when removed. Also seems like a lot of people with 'replacements' are having the same issue. I guess I'll just wait a bit until they sort it all out.

I'm actually glad to find out about this as I'd been seriously considering getting a second one to replace my QSC k8.2 but since a second S1 would likely stay unplugged (after fully charging) to be used as needed it would behoove me to wait until the issue is fully resolved, if ever.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:51 AM

I think if you leave it plugged in until you need it, it works as designed.

So far mine has.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-06-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Mine has lost 10 per cent in a week. I’d say that’s to be expected and I got mine at release. I wonder what is causing it for some units and not others.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspur View Post
I brought mine in July 2018 from Bestbuy. I finally got a chance to test it. I charged it up and left it unplugged for 8 days and today it still shows 100% on the app (the unit shows 4 flashes as well).

Guess I'm lucky that mine is ok. I've been thinking about buying a second but perhaps I should wait until it's confirmed that they've rectified the battery problem with the new ones they're selling.
After 2 weeks the battery has dropped down to 60% (3 flashes). I guess that's sounds normal ?

Like Methos I'm hesitant in getting a second S1 because there have been reports that some of the replacement units Bose's been sending out have the same issue. I haven't read anything from Bose clarifying that the cause has been identified and cured so I'm just gonna wait and see.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Checked my S1 again. Played it twice in two weeks and its at 70% without charging it yet.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 PM

Bose says they figured out the issue. They are no longer replacing defective units and are repairing existing units. That guarantees that you won't get a bad one as a replacement.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Bose says they figured out the issue. They are no longer replacing defective units and are repairing existing units. That guarantees that you won't get a bad one as a replacement.
This is good and bad. Good because it appears they now have it figured out and bad because they'll no longer (I assume) send you a new one and then you return yours meaning that you'll be out an amp for a determined amount of time. It will be interesting to see what the turnaround time is on getting them repaired.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:23 AM

I think it's good because I much prefer a well repaired speaker to a replacement with the same issue.
Usually Bose speakers last a long time thus getting a new one isn't a huge advantage.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:26 PM

The following is an announcement from Bose addressing the issue :

Hi Everyone.

From Bose:

Hi everyone.

We are aware of an issue where a small subset of S1 units are draining their battery when the system is not in use. If your unit is experiencing this, please contact Bose Support to set up service. This is the best option to make sure the issue gets completely resolved. We are currently in the process of implementing a fix.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions
ST

They have not yet addressed the concern over the new ones they're selling as some replacement units have the same issue.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

An update on the Bose replacement S1 Pro I received. I had previously written that it seemed to be losing charge at the same rate as the one I sent back. I am going to retract that statement.

When it first came in, it had about a 10% charge on it. I charged it to full, then unplugged it to see how it would hold up. It seemed to be losing about 10% charge every two days.

I drew the battery down to less than 50%, then put a full charge on it. Two weeks later, it is still at 100%. Not sure if it just had a "surface charge" on it (if that is even possible with these batteries), but after letting it charge up overnight, it seems to be holding the charge.

A bout of the flu (yes, I got a flu shot last October) knocked me on my butt for a couple weeks... I couldn't sing, and didn't feel much like playing, so the S1 had the opportunity to sit. This morning, while packing up to meet with some friends to play, I checked the S1 again, and was pleasantly surprised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification