The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2024, 01:46 PM

Default Neumann MCM 114

Hi folks!

Anyone using the Neumann MCM mic on acoustic? Curious how folks like it cause it seems like a pretty nice mic.

How's it compare to DPA stuff?

Finally, how about mounting it? I'd love a solution where I don't have to use their default clamp. Maybe something like adding my own gooseneck (like the K&K trinity mic) so it can be mounted from the inside and removed and put on different guitars, i.e. something plug and play. Can the mic be easily removed from the clamp for a DIY solution?

Thanks all!
Old 04-03-2024, 08:54 PM

I'll preface this by saying I don't own any MCM's, nor have I actually used one, but I've handled a couple and they're nice. I own 36 4099's, so I have quite a bit of experience with those. They're not my favorite guitar mic, mostly due to the mount that sticks out the back, but they do sound really nice when placed correctly. Depending on the playing style and placement, they can get in the way a little bit. If you're using the DPA guitar clip, I'd recommend a bit of gaff tape to help keep it in place. I'm not sure how securely the Neumann clip attaches to a guitar.

The capsule on the MCM is quite a bit larger than a 4099. The MCM is cardioid, while the DPA is supercardioid. This should give the MCM a fuller sound with a but more low end at distance, but the 4099 would have a higher proximity effect which might make that a wash. Some of the Neumann clips look like an improvement over the DPA version, like the guitar clip specifically, but I think DPA has better clip options overall.

As for removing the mic from the clip, the Neumann looks easier to remove than DPA. 4099's have a locking collar that slips over the attachment point on the clip. That collar can be removed, but you lose some security when you do that. It's still pretty stable, but enough force could pull the mic off of the clip. The Neumann doesn't have a collar, and it snaps into the clip a little tighter, but is more solid than the DPA with the collar removed. The DPA with the collar is more solid than the Neumann.

There's nothing preventing you from using another clip. As long as you can find something that fits, it should work fine.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smossy View Post
Hi folks!

Anyone using the Neumann MCM mic on acoustic? Curious how folks like it cause it seems like a pretty nice mic.

How's it compare to DPA stuff?

Finally, how about mounting it? I'd love a solution where I don't have to use their default clamp. Maybe something like adding my own gooseneck (like the K&K trinity mic) so it can be mounted from the inside and removed and put on different guitars, i.e. something plug and play. Can the mic be easily removed from the clamp for a DIY solution?

Thanks all!
Hi, I own an MCM for use with my Ryan Cathedral. Love the natural sound of it. I bought it because it has a larger capsule for the warmth, trading off with making sure I'm not in a high SPL environment. I don't play with a very hot stage with monitors etc. Most of the time just acoustic instruments like the piano and cajon. Other times with the orchestra.

The larger capsule takes some getting used to compared to the DPA just purely due to its size with a windshield. It's not huge, just... there. Never bumped into it as I recall.

I use the clamp and it works well and doesnt fall off (I think that's one of the main reasons I went with the MCM). The gooseneck can be removed from the clamp yes, it's clipped onto the clamp.

Hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification