The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Is the Mojotone a pretty high output pickup? My guitar has an elevated fretboard so the string distance from the top to the strings is pretty far—as a result I have to boost my. Black Angel with a preamp, which isn’t always convenient.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 PM

Default Mojotone is High Output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Is the Mojotone a pretty high output pickup? My guitar has an elevated fretboard so the string distance from the top to the strings is pretty far—as a result I have to boost my. Black Angel with a preamp, which isn’t always convenient.
In my experience, yes. I keep the volume rolled back to between 3-4 to minimize some of the (very minor) noise. I suspect you’d be fine, but you can always contact the company if you’re concerned. I’ve seen them active on this forum, seems likely you’d get a response with better info.

-BR

*edit: the Mojotone does have a built-in preamp, in case that wasn’t clear already, FYI
Old 07-19-2021, 04:28 PM

Default Follow-up on Mojotone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozendal View Post
In my experience, yes. I keep the volume rolled back to between 3-4 to minimize some of the (very minor) noise. I suspect you’d be fine, but you can always contact the company if you’re concerned. I’ve seen them active on this forum, seems likely you’d get a response with better info.

-BR

*edit: the Mojotone does have a built-in preamp, in case that wasn’t clear already, FYI
It’s been a month or so since I’ve been using the Mojotone, thought an update could be helpful. I ended up reinstalling the Baggs M80 because the Mojotone (single coil) ended up too noisy for my rig, which I run through a tube amp. I didn’t experience that problem in the solid state amps I tried, so I expect most folks would find it negligible.

I’m hanging onto the pickup for now. Reallllllly wish they made a 2-coil/humbucking version!
Old 07-20-2021, 06:08 PM

Sorry for piggybacking on this post but I had a question about soundhole pcikups and this seems to be a nice collection of folks familiar.

I jsut got a GS Mini-e Koa plus and I wanted to add a mag soundhole pickup to play it through an electric amp.

Not really looking for realistic acoustic tone. Actually sounding like an electric would be great.

any recommendations?

Also wasn't sure if string type mattered. I am using martin Retros which are monel.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:16 AM

I own a S1 and can speak to it. You def get that magnetic vibe but it has a very pleasing sweet sound. Passive, so you will want to boost the gain with a decent DI. If you really want to take the plunge, consider Sunrise DI although I never have. That is going to work best to dial in tone. I have played mine pretty high volume in a J45 with no issues and very good tone. The pup is heavy and takes up more of the soundhole than others.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpalereason View Post
Sorry for piggybacking on this post but I had a question about soundhole pcikups and this seems to be a nice collection of folks familiar.

I jsut got a GS Mini-e Koa plus and I wanted to add a mag soundhole pickup to play it through an electric amp.

Not really looking for realistic acoustic tone. Actually sounding like an electric would be great.

any recommendations?

Also wasn't sure if string type mattered. I am using martin Retros which are monel.
All the GS Minis I've seen, even the ones that come without electronics, have had the mounting clip for Taylor's GS Mini magnetic pickup already installed under the top and to the front of the sound hole.

You might want to investigate that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification