The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-17-2002, 05:28 AM

Default RE: John Mayer

I can't believe I missed the reference to John Mayer. He is my favorite artist by far and I play almost all of his stuff on the guitar. That tab site already listed is very accurate and should definitely help out. I've gotten so used to using my thumb for John Mayer stuff that I find myself playing a G chord with my thumb now, I just can't help it. A real cool John Mayer song to learn is "Lifelines". It's not on his cd though.

If you like John Mayer then you should check out Ari Hest:
Ari Hest Website
I was turned on to him by some John Mayer fans and he's an incredible singer/songwriter. Oh, by the way he plays a Taylor too! You can download some of his music there and he has some of his guitar tab on his site as well.

One of the reasons I sold my Seagull was the wide neck. I couldn't fret the low E with my thumb so I sold it and got a Big Baby instead.

And to take this thread to its original intent, yes I do play some DMB stuff on guitar. I'm into the older stuff....still haven't gotten "Busted Stuff" even though I have the "Lillywhite Sessions".

-Chris
Old 07-17-2002, 04:18 PM

Well I owned a BigBaby but I sold it for the Seagull, the overall sound I think is better on my Seagull, but some confort on the neck is sacrificed!! I wanted one guitar and the BB wasn't doing it for me. I went to go look at some tacomas yesterday and man did they suck, the dealer hadn't even touched or set them up resonably, the action was 3 feet off the fret board, sad sad . But anyways I'd love to get a Taylor, but I can't seem to find a quality dealer in my area other hen the crap of GC!! I could take a 2.5 hour drive to Lansings famous Elderly.com, I've never been but heard its incredible!! O'well if I made that trip I would have to get something, or else I'd be kickin myself the whole 2.5 hr drive home As far as what I'm playing right now. hmmmmm lets see some Beatles (blackbird), Some James Taylor, John Mayer singing and playing "no such thing", ummm I just learned "waste" the phish cover by DAVE, I think I need to get motivated by some new artists and some better TAB, stuff on the nets pretty inaccurate, I would love a John Mayer TAB book that was actually authentic!!! But all in time I guess, peace
Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 PM

Hey Boyd,

You don't need a John Mayer tablature book. That website already posted is very accurate, just go with those.

I actually prefer the sound of my BB vs the S6+ Folk that I had. And the wide neck was a killer. The BB isn't my main Taylor though, I play an 810WMB. The BB is my "couch" guitar. Why don't you save up and get a price quote from Buffalo Brothers on a new Taylor? You won't regret it!

By the way, I bought "Busted Stuff"....so far its a pretty good cd. I'm picking my way though the title track tonight.

-Chris
Old 07-17-2002, 10:09 PM

I'm very anal when it comes to being completely right when I play a song, Ive found parts in some Mayer songs that were inaccurate in tab on that site, NEON for one is not right, even though it is written by john Mayer himself!!! If I learn a song I want to be playing %100 right not 80% which is what that site is, the "where are you going" tab on that site is completly wrong!!! I hate delving into a song, to find out it's completly wrong. Anyways...... so you likw Buff. Bros, I don't know if I'd get a guitar that was mailordered, without even playing it!! Unless I could get a used one at a good price but I doubt it.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:11 AM

I'd say its more like 95% right. I don't look at the other tabs, just John Mayer stuff. I guess John will have to learn how to play his song the right way.

-Chris
Old 07-25-2002, 08:38 PM

I kind of like internet tabs b/c of their inaccuracy...it's good practice. Plus, it gives you a place to add ur own stuff into the music. I have a few liscenced tab books and I tend to want to learn them exactly. I give myself more freedom with the internet junk

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 07-26-2002, 10:10 PM

I went out and bought a 714ce because of DMB and now I'm considering a W65ce. At age 34, I kind of feel stupid in being so influenced in my guitar buying because of a great artist but bottom line these are great guitars.

As a gift, a friend bought me the "authorized" tab books for Crash, UTTAD, BTCS, and Everyday. I think the term accuracy is relative because depending on whether your playing these songs solo or with other players will dictate how you play the chords. I know when I playing solo, it sounds a little fuller when I add the roots of the chords.

Has anyone found a good tab for "Where are you going?" I've learned it where it sounds decent but I saw Dave playing it live on TV and he was playing it differently.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:37 PM

Dude, I love DMB. I started out playing their music. I can play most of Dave's old stuff, his new stuff never really interested me that much. My favorite is Tripping Billies, and i do like to sing along with it. It adds a level of fun when you sing. You might like some Bach too, especially Bourree in Em and Prelude in Dm. You should check them out.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:18 AM

Well, I did notice that Dave plays "Everyday" differently in the vid than in tab books/magazines. In the books, it has the song played on the 7th while Dave plays closer to the nut ... oh well ....

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 08-05-2002, 08:13 PM

Satellite.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:44 PM

i play a few DMB covers with my band and solo..i worked them out solo first.

a few that I can play and sing comfortably are;

jimi thing
dancing nancies
seek up
back you up
christmas song
bartender
don't drink the water

crash<--i won't perform this though, except for my neice lol..all gigling and **** the whole time...lol..it's the only tune she knows by DMB..

"don't drink.." and "bartender" are very close to each other...in dropped-d. I play these on a seagull s6+ spruce dread with an emg-acs soundhole pu..i'm about ready to buy a 514ce though so life will get easier lol...

my thing with dmb tunes, or any cover tune, is this:

play it as close as you can while singing and playing...that's better than shooting for 100% on one or the other...the nod going to getting the vocal right first...sad but true.

look at it this way: if you play the guitar 100% accurate but can't sing it well, then it will not sound good as a whole...the two (singing and playing) HAVE to be together..even if you miss one or the other by a few notches..

and for god's sake don't TRY and sing like dave, or any other singer..you'll sound like a fool lol...i've tried it and it works better if you just SING with YOUR voice...for example, i sing "bartender" and "don't drink..." the best...but the others sound pretty good also....

some DMB i just don't attempt to sing AND play..like "the stone" solo version from the charlie rose show..sheesh lol..you heard or seen that performance?

BTW..my drummer keeps me grounded on DMB stuff very well lol..he's got his little carter snappy style down pat.

OH!

check out ben harper doing a cover of "the song that jane likes" solo acoustic.....omg..he's a dead ringer for dave on that.....I found the mp3 on kaaza.

peace,
chris
Old 09-11-2002, 09:11 AM

The Stone rocks.

I just got it nailed down.
Also do

lover Lay
nancies
jimi
typical
christmas
recently
best
crash
grace is gone
Old 09-11-2002, 01:33 PM

007, I've been looking for tab to Grace is Gone. What I've seen is, well, lame. Could you let me know your source for that song, or perhaps email me the music?
Thanks TBear
Old 09-11-2002, 03:53 PM

I can play every part to every dave song that i've ever heard....i dont think you can stump me with a song but u never know. Dave is awesome and is so creative....i am especially into learning all of the tim parts to the songs....i have learned all of the tim parts to most of the songs he plays with dave by watching about 10 seconds worth of video when then actually show timmy and i try to mimmic what he does it is a huge challenge but it is worth it. And STREAM who could forget about that i can play that too. I am lookin into a Boss DD-5 to get the tim effects....but i can play the dave and tim parts to just about every song i love the way dave writes songs. By the way i have been the owner of a Taylor 710ce for about 2 months and i am in love with that guitar....helps your playing alot just because it sounds so good! Anyway lemme know if u need an accurate tab or anything i play everything the way they play it rather than the sometimes messed up ways they are written on some of the internet sites- my email is [email protected] lemme know if u need anything
Bill
Old 09-19-2002, 08:32 PM

hey I live in Michigan too man, I got to Oakland University, we should play sometimes, I go live at Luther Style though with my NEW MARTIN, thats loud man!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell