The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-09-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Who here plays Dave Matthews??

I have yet to purchase a Taylor but that doesn't stop me from playing But I'm just curious who on this forum enjoys playing Dave Matthews tunes, I know I can play a majority of them and am wondering what songs you guys would know of his, so lets have a Dave guitar discussion, any pros/cons, troubles with songs, etc@
Old 07-11-2002, 12:26 PM

I love Dave Matthews, and I play some of his stuff. Lets see, I play; Lover Lay Down, Crash, What would you say, satellite, Christmas song, and Jimmy Thing....I can play part of that Tim Reynolds song....whatever it's called.

Dave's stuff has a lot of crazy stretches, fun stuff to play!

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 07-11-2002, 04:10 PM

DMB stuff's great (especially if one can get it to sound like the recording!). I can't play much: Lie in our Graves, Ants Marching, Crash (haven't played this one in a while ...), and Everyday. All these songs took a good bit of time to get the rhythm and timing down.

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 07-11-2002, 08:02 PM

Dave is one of my fav guitarist, I just love the live sound he does. Crash is probably my favorite and the one I do best.

Stay cool

Lucky owner of the best 310CE
Old 07-11-2002, 08:57 PM

Ya I started out playing dave "crash". And have seemed to adopt his style of guitar playing, I can play almost all his songs, he uses alot of the same chords, and alot of stretches, try #41, the first chords are crazy..... 5325XX, 7547XX, X7548X . These get your fingers really limber, It takes me little time to learn rythms of other songs because I started playing on such a great rythym player (imho)! Everyone should try Warehouse!! Talk about a fun song, mutted one note chords 7XXXXX!! Ha anyways I just figured out waste, if anyone wants the tab just ask since you can't find it on the internet!! peace
Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 PM

O by the way, I play a Seagull S6+ with elixir lights, what a great guitar it has been, I've had it for 3 months and wow have I improved on it, but then again I play for 4-6 hours a day!! Anyways, does anyone play AND sing dave here??
Old 07-14-2002, 09:45 PM

man, singing and playing dave at the same time is a different story....I can sing and play Crash, and part of Lover Lay Down but that's about it....they just confuse me! ya gotta try it really really slow then speed it up. It takes me some practice time

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 07-15-2002, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ItsBoydTinsley
O by the way, I play a Seagull S6+ with elixir lights, what a great guitar it has been, I've had it for 3 months and wow have I improved on it, but then again I play for 4-6 hours a day!! Anyways, does anyone play AND sing dave here??
If I remember correctly, my bud who's taking over my guitarist spot at my old parish (I graduated ... it's a University parish ....) has a S6+, but his has a cedar top and rosewood back and sides ... is yours the same?

Play *AND* sing DMB? Uhh ... still working on the singing part (my brain and hands don't seem to work at the same time with DMB songs ....).

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 07-15-2002, 10:40 PM

My S6+ Has a Cedar top and Cherry Laminate sides I believe, I've been playing for about a year now. The S6 is great but Im thinking of getting another guitar, the S6 is great for fingerpicking, but man is that neck WIDE!! Thats why I believe its a great guitar and has great sound for the $$$ but can sometimes be a B**** to play of more difficult songs with akward chords or patters. I was playing today and getting frustrated because Im learning some John Mayer stuff and he uses his thumb alot,(which is very convenient in his songs). I can hit the LOW E with my thumb but I can't seem to mute the A string, ehhhh. Well I might check out some taylors even though their out of my price range.... maybe I'll look at a Tacoma???? ANyways good look with dave, and by the way what songs are you learning/playing now Les Regala? PEACE
Old 07-16-2002, 07:43 AM

i'm a big dmb fan..

one of my favourites to play is "warehouse".. just download an mp3 of dave playing this accoustically.. talk about smooth strumming, great muting technique, and fast fingerwork! it was a challenge for me to get that sound down.. "Tripping billies" is another favourite.. you can learn so much technique from learning to play those two songs properly
Old 07-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Hey folks- im a huge DMB fan and I play just about all of his songs, and at least parts of every one. The only one that really gives me trouble is the rythym on Stay, but other than that, some of my favorites to play are Tripping Billies, Grace is Gone, JTR, WWYS, 41, The Stone, Best of Whats Around, and Minarets.

I learned playing DMB stuff and I cant think of a better way to start out- some of the stretches I learned (nature intro for billies, 41 intro, Crash) have been invaluable tools in my learning how to play.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 07-16-2002, 07:21 PM

Quote:
[I was playing today and getting frustrated because Im learning some John Mayer stuff and he uses his thumb alot,(which is very convenient in his songs). [/B]

Could you point me in the direction of some John Mayer stuff? Probably sounds stupid but I have looked and cant find any

Thanks and stay cool

Old 07-16-2002, 08:27 PM

here's the John Mayer site http://www3.sympatico.ca/g403z/
Old 07-16-2002, 10:36 PM

Thanks man Just what I 'm looking for

Old 07-17-2002, 04:42 AM

Boyd,

I still have a bit of a time thumbing the low string with my Taylor! Anyway, play some nice guitars and get the one that grabs you. I pretty much made a vow to myself after a year or so of playing that whatever guitar I get will be *the bomb*, not something that'll "work for now". That guitar just happend to be an 810 (it was a good chunk of my internship money, but absolutely NO regrets). Try different woods, too. Since Cedar gives that very warm sound, you might want something bright, something bassy, or something that sounds like a cannon (Rosewood and Sitka's nice! ) I'll keep working on DMB and I likes me some John Mayer stuff, too.

What am I playing, you ask? Well, besides the little DMB, I enjoy some old-school/pre-electric Vertical Horizon (their first three cds have great acoustic stuff), a touch of some Jim Croce (I wanna learn more ....), Eric Clapton's nice, some old-school Edwin McCain, I wanna check out some Angie Aparo, and then there are some things that don't come to mind (y'know, kinda like when someone asks you to play something and your mind goes blank ....). What about you Boyd? What's in your (present and future) repertoire?

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell