The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

View Poll Results: How many song do you try to write each year
I try to write a song a week, with lots of rewrites. 5 18.52%
I might write a song a month 19 70.37%
I average about a song a year 2 7.41%
I wrote a song, once or twice 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I chose 1/month because that's the closest choice in the poll, but it really doesn't work like that. I've usually got 2 or 3 songs in various stages of completion at any one time.
That's me too. I gig regularly though not too often (once or twice a month) doing a lot of originals. I'm not too prolific so I probably average a new song a month, but sometimes I have several in the works at once. Other times I may just have one that's active, or just a few ideas rolling around the back of my head.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:55 PM

I voted one per month, but, like others here, that's sot of a meaningless average in my case. Waves of six over three weeks, and then none for 5 months, is more like it.

So, is it a hobby, a passion and/or do you make money doing it?

Passion; with the goal of a well recorded song which gets the original song concept over to the listener with the fewest words and maximum effect. I think it was Papa John who remarked on how difficult it is to transfer emotions to vinyl.

Are you involved with a local songwriting community?

Was in a songwriting group (Los Angeles) which was informally led by Nik Venet. Lots of education.

Are you involved with online (or in person) songwriter gatherings and/or critiques?

Not for the past 12 years. Before that, a very interesting song circle which was half performance, half songwriting.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:05 PM

I've never really wanted to write songs and do not think of myself as a songwriter. But there's 70-80 of them now and I'm now doing my first full-scale receding of my own stuff. Usually I don't sing my own songs and I rarely sit down to write one.

The melodies come when noodling. When I like something that has discovered me, I start playing it, trying to refine what I hear (and trying to play it the same way twice when I do something I like). Then I think of what kind of song it sounds like to me. (If any, I write as many instrumentals.) Once that is identified, the initial words come pretty fast. After that comes a much longer period of refining them. No song is considered finished until it's written down in notation and/or recorded. Sometimes there are several in year, maybe once a month. And then there are droughts. But since I do not consider myself a songwriter, I don't mind these dry periods. The songs will come when they come. I don't go looking for them. Over the years, it's been pretty random.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Ok, figured I should respond to my own questions
First, I am currently in week 3 of a 10 week “write a song a week journey”
It is a challenge and in no means am I coming up with what I consider a great song.
But the ideas are solid and each song as some potential lines and musical motifs.
Once the ten weeks are up I will start rewriting. That can take weeks, months, or years, but the goal is to find time every day to write and revise.

It is a hobby that I am very passionate about. Use to make a living in a cover band but never with original stuff

Pre pandemic I was an open mic junkie. I also love going to
Songwriter workshops and songwriter festivals (bit bummed that Swannanoa gathering, as well many other events have been and continue to be canceled due to the pandemic but better safe then sorry.

Are you involved with online (or in person) songwriter gatherings and/or critiques? If yes what are they?
I have 2 groups that I take part in. One is a monthly gathering (though it is now on line) it is/was a local gathering for me in Asheville. The other is a once a week gathering. It is NY based but is now on line. This one has been around for decades. The premise is bring a new song every week, unless it’s a rewrite of lasts week song. Playing your best hits is discouraged, unless it’s new.
MJ Franks Lagacy OM
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-06-2021, 08:28 AM

Great thread!

For me, songwriting is a passion that I've been doing for over 30 years. Actually, as soon as I started playing guitar I started writing songs in many genres.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Yes, great thread!

I answered once a month though I usually have 4 to 6 songs in various stages of completion every month (new song idea, research, re-writing, arranging, practicing singing). I write or re-write most days, even if it is for only 15 minutes.

A total, passionate, serious hobby for me.

Yes, I belong to the West Coast Songwriter's Association, perform at their open mics now and then, and meet monthly with a local songwriting group which has about 12 members in it. We hold 1 - 2 showcases a year. Before Covid, it was in person at a local theater venue, on Zoom this year.

Are you involved with online (or in person) songwriter gatherings and/or critiques? If yes what are they?
I have taken ZOOM classes with Jeffery Pepper Rodgers, Mary Gauthier, Gretchen Peters, and Amy Speace. Very supportive classes that encourage more than critique but foster honest discussion about what it is you want to express and the tools and tips to get you there.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-12-2021, 07:19 PM

I guess I'm more a composer than a songwriter. I used to do maybe a dozen multi-part sort-of-soft-jazz instrumentals a year, not writing them out but recording them. Been kind of busy lately, though, moving from one state to another... Still, looking to get back into it... (Example)

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write