The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-24-2021, 02:53 PM

Default "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" chords in open C tuning?

Hi!

This is the chords and lyrics to a song I want to learn in open C tuning. It was sung by the late great folk singer Sandi Denny and wonder what the chords would be (diagrams if you know). These chords are in regular EADGBE tuning. This is the song list of chords followed by the chords/lyrics of the song:

E = 022100 G#m = 466444 Esus4 = 022200

F#m11/E = 044200 Am = 577555 Badd11 = 799800

Emaj7 = 066400 A = x02220 Aadd9 = 577600

F#m = 244222 Asus4 = x02230 F#m7 = 242222

================================================== ======================

[Intro]

E F#m11/E E F#m11/E

||: / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / :|| [x2]

[Verse 1]

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

A - cross the evening sky, ...all the birds are leaving---------,

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

But how can they know ...it's time for them to go----------?

[Verse 2]

F#m G#m Am G#m

Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming,

A Asus4 A E Esus4 E Badd11 Aadd9

I have no thought of time, ...for who knows where the time goes?

E F#m7 A F#m7

Who knows where the time goes-------?

[Verse 3]

E F#m11/E E F#m11/E

| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

Sad deserted shore, ...your fickle friends are leaving--------,

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

Ah, but then you know ...it's time for them ...to go---------

[Verse 4]

F#m G#m Am G#m

But ...I will still be here, I have no thought of leaving,

I ...do not count the time, ...for who knows where the time goes?

E F#m7 A F#m7

Who knows where the time----- goes-------?

[Verse 5]

E F#m11/E E F#m11/E

| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

And I am not alone, while my love ...is near me,

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E

I know it will be so, until it's time to go-------------

[Verse 6]

F#m G#m Am G#m

So ...come the storms of winter, ...and then the birds of ...spring again,

I have no fear of time, ...for who knows how my love grows?

E F#m7 A F#m7 E

And who knows where the time goes------------?

[Coda]

E F#m11/E Emaj7 F#m11/E E

||: / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / :|| / ||
Old 02-24-2021, 04:35 PM

I would just capo the 4th fret and transpose down so you can easily look up a chord chart for your tuning. As an example, for E you would play a C, A becomes F, and B becomes a G.

That's what I would do.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:51 PM

Hi Egordon99!

Very nice of you to take the time to respond. The foolish thing I did, and just woke from falling asleep about 2 hrs, was I forgot to say what I actually meant by how I tune to open C. I play in open C most of all and tune it CGCEGC. Some tune to open C in it seems about 2 other ways. Also there are some very different chords that "Fairport Convention" plays. I think that's who Sandi Denny was playing with when she recorded the song back in the Sixties. You should hear her sing it on YouTube if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsqztvHIB9Y

For example, there's G#m, Esus4, F#m11/E, I show them all in the opening letter I wrote for the thread, some very esoteric chords. I just copy/pasted the lyrics and chords from an online site and they included what string and fret you chord... but all in the standard tuning. So I see where Judy Collins sang it starting with a C chord, like... C F C F back and forth at first which looks simple in the standard tuning... but don't recall looking at what she did for what I think is a key shift to what I think is the "bridge" of the song.

Really though the simple chords are nice, but I want to use some of the more obscure chords because it is a kind of ethereal song. It's kind of a mournful song, but in a beautiful way. I ended up for some reason writing a lot of my own music in recent times in open C tuning. I know it's in some ways with serious musicians (although I'm serious too in a way) almost like a bad habit simply because of the way standard tuning is so well designed.

Really though, my arthritis at 67 yrs is getting worse, (also part of the reason I like owning a nylon string or "classical" guitar, and... "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" ha!!) and in open C tuning I can play some kind of 6th or 7th sounding chords with just 2 fingers and not having to bar which is easier on my hand. It's funny because I water-fasted 4 days and six hours and I could bend my fingers completely in with full "range of motion", and old sprained ankle and other joint pains went away! It all slowly returned once I started eating again.

Very nice of you to respond. I'll read more about what you mean. So with what I said, you think I should still put the capo on 4th fret? I for some reason can't use the capo I had with my other classical guitar I bought used for $10 in 1981 from the Salvation Army store. It's of course a narrower neck. Actually it's a nice capo my dear mother bought in 1962, a connection I have to her. I want to be nice to myself and get that really top rated capo I saw advertised about 1 yr ago. Maybe it's not a good capo and that's why I can't find it. If you or someone might know the brand let me know. I wouldn't pay the extra where you can actually have your name or initials embossed on it. It's a complicated design that in my amateur eyes looks superior, but maybe just a gimmick. Thanks for your help!

Carpe Diem!
Winfred
Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 PM

https://dazwatsonmusic.weebly.com/op...ord-chart.html

That should get you started.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:42 AM

As you know, the way the original chords work (most of them) is by moving a shape up the neck while keeping the open E and B strings.

So you can't easily play the exact same voicings in open C, but you can get something similar (and maybe even better).

Firstly I have to assume you are also singing it in the key of C - but if not you could still use a capo to get these shapes higher. Where there are choices below, it's obviously going to depend not just on the sound, but how easy it is to change from one to the other.

C = 0-0-0-0-0-0 (duh!)

Dm11/C = 0-2-2-1-0-0

Cmaj7 = 0-4-4-3-0-0

For the pre-chorus ("before the winter fire"), choices:

Dm7: 2-2-0-1-2-0; or Dm(add4): 2-2-2-1-0-0

Em: 4-4-4-0-0-4, 4-0-4-0-0-4 (or mute 1st string);or Em7: 4-4-4-0-0-2

Fm: 5-5-0-4-5-0; or Fm(add9): 5-5-0-4-0-0 or 5-5-5-4-0-0; or Fm/C: 0-1-0-1-1-0

F: 5-5-5-5-5-5 (duh!); or 5-5-0-5-5-0; or F/C: 0-2-0-1-2-0

G: 7-7-7-7-7-7 (duh!) or G5/D: 2-0-2-3-0-2

Another thought is to tune your 3rd string up to F to get CGCFGC, or DADGAD a step down. Some of the shapes then get simpler - but one or two get harder Some options below (more are possible):

C = 0-0-4-2-0-0; (C5 = 0-0-0-2-0-0)
Dm11/C = 0-2-2-0-0-0
Cmaj7 = 0-4-4-2-0-0
Dm = 2-2-2-0-2-0 (or mute 5th with finger fretting the 6th)
Em(add4): 4-x-4-2-4-2.
Fm (add4): 5-x-5-3-5-3, or 5-5-0-3-5-0
Fm/C: 0-1-0-0-1-0
F = 5-5-0-4-5-0; or F5 = 5-5-5-7-5-5#
F/C: 0-2-0-0-2-0
G = x-0-2-2-4-2; G5: x-0-2-2-0-2
Old 05-13-2021, 04:32 AM

Hi JonPR!

I don't know what happened! I guess I didn't come back here thinking there was no response. Also since I had CoVid19 I seem to suddenly be forgetting more. I'm long over due in my response. Wow! You went to a lot of work! I can't say how grateful I am!!

I want to challenge your very keen ear where if you might be able to tell me what open tuning guitarist and vocalist Nick Stephenson is in with his 3:22 rendition of "Who Knows Where The Time Goes". The camera angle is not always the best for one trying to figure out his exact chords. I was surprised and just found out now, after my 67 orbits around the sun, that I can still sing within his vocal range on this.

If it's easy for you to recognize the chord progression I'd appreciate that too... but I fully understand if you don't have the time to do that. It seems those chord shapes in the open tuning Nick uses would be easier for me to play. I started learning guitar at 11 yrs old from a guy who didn't like strumming and taught me finger picking patterns... so I'm going to figure out a finger picking pattern style to go with it. It's actually in a way humorous as over the years I also learned Bluegrass style 5 string banjo, so sometimes I switch into picking the way I did with banjo then alternate and go back to my four fingered guitar picking, but it seems to work ha!

I only recently started playing in public now that I live in the "Twin Cities" as we say. The people have liked my playing, to my big surprise, so really I'm going to post my rendition of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" on YouTube fairly soon. I posted a video using my little camera for 2 1/2 days last fall. I became embarrassed and removed it as it sounded tinny and my voice I decided was a reject ha! Also I only received 104 hits, although 7 very nice comments, and 3 subscribes without advertising. I want first to draw listeners to my playing a popular song, then post my original music.

It's going to be a big risk, but I want to try recording "Both Sides Now" again at a local pro recording studio that has a smaller "B" studio for lower budget musicians, but even that studio has amazing equipment. The owner is a sound engineer and said he likes that song, so I'm very fortunate that way too.

There are a couple of bar chords Nick uses where with my arthritis it might be hard for me... but it seems they are brief and so I think I'd do okay. I'm hoping to try it at an outdoor open mic here in Minnesota now the warmer weather is coming and the governor lifts some of the band. This is the link to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP_4...dz-Trw&index=2

Thanks so much for all you have done! I do random acts of kindness for others in my Senior apartment bldg, and you have done a kind act here as it has come around back to me! Again, I fully understand if you don't have time for the chord shape part and/or any more help as I am every grateful!

Kindest Regards,
Winfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
As you know, the way the original chords work (most of them) is by moving a shape up the neck while keeping the open E and B strings.

So you can't easily play the exact same voicings in open C, but you can get something similar (and maybe even better).

Firstly I have to assume you are also singing it in the key of C - but if not you could still use a capo to get these shapes higher. Where there are choices below, it's obviously going to depend not just on the sound, but how easy it is to change from one to the other.

C = 0-0-0-0-0-0 (duh!)

Dm11/C = 0-2-2-1-0-0

Cmaj7 = 0-4-4-3-0-0

For the pre-chorus ("before the winter fire"), choices:

Dm7: 2-2-0-1-2-0; or Dm(add4): 2-2-2-1-0-0

Em: 4-4-4-0-0-4, 4-0-4-0-0-4 (or mute 1st string);or Em7: 4-4-4-0-0-2

Fm: 5-5-0-4-5-0; or Fm(add9): 5-5-0-4-0-0 or 5-5-5-4-0-0; or Fm/C: 0-1-0-1-1-0

F: 5-5-5-5-5-5 (duh!); or 5-5-0-5-5-0; or F/C: 0-2-0-1-2-0

G: 7-7-7-7-7-7 (duh!) or G5/D: 2-0-2-3-0-2

Another thought is to tune your 3rd string up to F to get CGCFGC, or DADGAD a step down. Some of the shapes then get simpler - but one or two get harder Some options below (more are possible):

C = 0-0-4-2-0-0; (C5 = 0-0-0-2-0-0)
Dm11/C = 0-2-2-0-0-0
Cmaj7 = 0-4-4-2-0-0
Dm = 2-2-2-0-2-0 (or mute 5th with finger fretting the 6th)
Em(add4): 4-x-4-2-4-2.
Fm (add4): 5-x-5-3-5-3, or 5-5-0-3-5-0
Fm/C: 0-1-0-0-1-0
F = 5-5-0-4-5-0; or F5 = 5-5-5-7-5-5#
F/C: 0-2-0-0-2-0
G = x-0-2-2-4-2; G5: x-0-2-2-0-2
Old 05-13-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Hi egordon99!

Thanks very much for taking your precious time to respond! Sorry I'm so late with my thank you. I seem to suddenly be forgetting more since I had CoVid19. It effected my sense of smell too, which I discovered doesn't effect my playing (ha!). You are very kind! I don't have a printer so I book marked the location of the very handy Open C chart! With my arthritis I've found playing in open tuning is with some songs advantageous for me.

Carpe Diem!
Winfred
Old 05-13-2021, 04:44 AM

Hi Again egordon99!

I don't know anything about music theory etc. Do you mean capo at 4th fret if I'm in the standard EADGBE tuning, or in my CGCECG my kind of Open C tuning? Thanks again for your magnanimous deed!

Top of the Day!
Winfred
PS going to bed now that it's 5:43 AM up all night playing guitar, or trying to ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
I would just capo the 4th fret and transpose down so you can easily look up a chord chart for your tuning. As an example, for E you would play a C, A becomes F, and B becomes a G.

That's what I would do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
guitar chords, open c tuning, sandi denny