The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-16-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Violin A string ball end flew off

Don't know how. This is the second time it happened. Happened to the g a few month's ago.

Last edited by guitar344; 01-12-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:21 PM

I had never experienced this before with the various brands of violin strings that I've used. What brand of strings are you using? There's a chance if you contact the brand, they will send you new strings.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
I had never experienced this before with the various brands of violin strings that I've used. What brand of strings are you using? There's a chance if you contact the brand, they will send you new strings.
Dominants.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:16 PM

This has only happened a couple times to me. The string wrap/loop around the ball is the weakest link in most violin strings.

1. I started using dampits in the f-holes of my fiddles in the case for humidification. When I opened the case the next day or so I found either the D or A had failed the same way. I think this was with sensicore octave strings (tune an octave below normal range. It can sound really cool!) The higher humidity over a short time caused the instrument to swell, which raises the tension. I don't use the damp-its anymore.

2. On a long-scale 5 string viola, I was loosening the strings from the outside in (first the E, then the C, then the A, then the G....) then the D went SNAP! As you release tension on ANY stringed instrument, the neck has less compressive stress on it, causing it to straighten out some, which raises tension....

So did the string snap while tuning, playing, in the case....?
Also you can use loop end string on those fine tuners. You might give that a try.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
This has only happened a couple times to me. The string wrap/loop around the ball is the weakest link in most violin strings.

1. I started using dampits in the f-holes of my fiddles in the case for humidification. When I opened the case the next day or so I found either the D or A had failed the same way. I think this was with sensicore octave strings (tune an octave below normal range. It can sound really cool!) The higher humidity over a short time caused the instrument to swell, which raises the tension. I don't use the damp-its anymore.

2. On a long-scale 5 string viola, I was loosening the strings from the outside in (first the E, then the C, then the A, then the G....) then the D went SNAP! As you release tension on ANY stringed instrument, the neck has less compressive stress on it, causing it to straighten out some, which raises tension....

So did the string snap while tuning, playing, in the case....?
Also you can use loop end string on those fine tuners. You might give that a try.
I discovered it when opened the case. I did not touch it. I'm still shocked how the ball end disappeared. I never had strings break when I play. The only time I snapped a violin string was trying to hold the tuning peg on the d string in place.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Ended up replacing it with a semi good condition spare string.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Maybe, a different brand of strings would help?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had that happen on the G on Dominants. Email TI. They may replace them.

I switched to the Blues and the Reds or Larsens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments