The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-10-2020, 09:23 PM

Default Resonator guitars

I've recently gotten my hands on a Mule guitar that has come with a set of strings that I think are probably 16s to 56s from high string to low string. I have started experimenting with open tuning using DADF#AD.

My question is about storing the guitar. Is there any issue with leaving the guitar in the case in open tuning? Would that create any imbalances in tension on the neck that become a problem over time?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2020, 05:21 AM

You did not mention whether this is a square or round necked guitar. If your guess on the string gauges is correct, they might be more typical for a square neck and tough to fret on a round neck.

To your question, open D tuning is lower than regular guitar tuning and exerts less tension. Regardless of the neck style of the guitar, there should be no problem leaving it tuned to pitch.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

String sets with gauges 15-56 are common for round neck reso guitars left in open D (DADF#AD) or low open G (DGDGBD). You can store your round neck reso guitar in these tunings.

String sets with gauges 16-56 are common for square neck resonator guitars left in bluegrass high open G tuning (GBDGBD). You can store your square neck reso guitar in this tuning.

Some companies that sell string sets labelled as 'resonator' sets are specifically aimed at square neck guitars and the bluegrass high GBDGBD tuning.

A good option is to use a standard set of medium gauge strings (13-56) on a round neck resonator guitar and, if required, swap the 0.013 first string for a plain gauge 0.015 if you feel you need a little more beef for using a bottle neck slide on the first string.

I suggest you try pure nickel or monel strings to see if you like them, for two reasons: firstly, they do sound classically 'old' on reso guitars and secondly, you won't kill them so quickly when using metal finger picks. Nickel finger picks can 'temper' phosphor bronze very quickly. I would kill a PB wound 3rd on my dobro in less than an hour at a gig. But pure nickel or monel sets would last months.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:43 PM

Default guitar strings

Thanks for this information - it is a round neck guitar. I believe that it also has titanium in the neck, but am not sure. I bought it used and I know that models currently have a truss rod plus the titanium. Steel body, but I can't imagine that would make a difference.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:05 PM

My son ordered a Mule for his 40th birthday, really cool guitar and fun to play.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:32 PM

People will always have opinions or disagree on the safety of heavy strings on a reso. I personally used to use 16-56 on all my Nationals. Ranging from wooden singlecones to metal tricones.

I never tuned to A or E. Only G or D. I also didn't take them up to standard tuning. I would follow standard tuning intervals, but I would leave the 1st string at D.

I no longer use those strings on my roundnecks. I've been using 12s on my singlecone, but I still think my Tricone sounds better with 13s, and while I still don't tune to A or E, especially on the singlecone, I don't sweat standard, and will put them in the case in whatever tuning I stop playing in.

Both are Nationals and one is 20 years old and the other is 10 years old. National has been building guitars "lighter" for a while, especially the steel ones, for tonal reasons. Mules may be an even lighter build as they are, in my opinion more "boutique".

If you are really concerned contact mule and ask. I'm sure they will respond.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:02 PM

I use .012s on all of my single cones, and use slightly higher when using my Tricone and Spider Cones. Like Blue, whenever I'm done playing, I leave it in that tuning and put it in the case.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Guitar weight

The Mule is definitely not light by absolute weight. A person at Chicago Music Exchange told me on the phone that they run nearly 10lbs and seem heavier than most other resos. I don't know where the weight comes from, however, nor have I gotten out a scale to check. It does have great balance though. I don't think that I would want to stand playing it for a long time, but it sits very easily for me and the weight is non-issue. I've seen photos of their insides and it looks quite solid. Overall, I am very impressed with it. The sound is quite different from a single cone National, so it is one of those things that really comes down to how the sound matches to what your ear likes.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangil View Post
The Mule is definitely not light by absolute weight. A person at Chicago Music Exchange told me on the phone that they run nearly 10lbs and seem heavier than most other resos. I don't know where the weight comes from, however, nor have I gotten out a scale to check. It does have great balance though. I don't think that I would want to stand playing it for a long time, but it sits very easily for me and the weight is non-issue. I've seen photos of their insides and it looks quite solid. Overall, I am very impressed with it. The sound is quite different from a single cone National, so it is one of those things that really comes down to how the sound matches to what your ear likes.
My 20 year old style N brass national is more than 10 lbs for sure. Mules are the real deal. Truly handmade. Great tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments