The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Whippersnapper

Default I Thought I Was a Child - Jackson Browne cover

Well, here we are at week 24! Usually I've been starting these threads early on Thursdays, but this week's been rather busy. I generally record them on Tuesday or Wednesday and upload them by Wednesday (hint: YouTube subscribers get first dibs). But I couldn't do anything with this one until today. And I had to take the wifey to the airport this morning 'cause she's got a job interview in North Carolina tomorrow! So everything here was thrown together in the last couple of hours and uploaded. So there you go.

Last week I mentioned an attempt to do a Jackson Browne trilogy, much like I did with Paul Simon a few weeks back. Last week being part 1, this week is part 2 with a cover of "I thought I Was a Child". The Colonel asked in last week's thread when we would hear this one, so I figured I'd better take that as a direct order and get right on it! Mr. Browne recorded this one for his 1973 album, For Everyman.

I Thought I Was a Child - Kyle Scobie (cover)

It's not my favorite performance in terms of my satisfaction, but that's the reality of one-week preparations sometimes. Ya'lll should get the idea anyway. Usual specs on this one: Taylor 716ce-LTD and Motorola Droid X smartphone camcorder, still. Enjoy!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Kyle, You got some soul in ya! This is by far, my favorite performance.
Those vocals were spot on, brother..Nice finger picking/strumming...Solo

Mike Solo
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

You beat me to it! NICE JOB!!!! Thanks, man!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM

Really great. I'm still partial to These Days but this one is a close second! You really have talent for these types of slower soulful tunes. Man Jackson can write a song. Well done Kyle! Good luck on wifey's interview!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I liked it, Kyle! I'm glad to see you do so more fingerstyle and I liked the combination of picking and strumming. I had a little difficulty hearing the guitar... I could have stood it just a little louder. Nice job, as always.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
AGF Administrator

Awesome job, Kyle! Some good dynamics in this one.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Kyle,
This one ranks in the Scobie Billboard Top Five imho. One of your best vocals, dynamic and yet soulful... on another great song choice!
noledog
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Kyle, You got some soul in ya! This is by far, my favorite performance.
Those vocals were spot on, brother..Nice finger picking/strumming...Solo
Thanks buddy! You've been a great support throughout this whole thing and I really appreciate it. Your phone call today meant a lot. I was only a few hours late and you were wondering and waiting. It's good to be missed.

Thanks for everything, solol. You da man!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
You beat me to it! NICE JOB!!!! Thanks, man!
Haha! Thanks. I wouldn't have even touched this one had you not mentioned it in my previous SOTW thread. I forgot how great of a song this is. Feel free to post your own cover, won't care one bit. I do things differently enough that it'll be a completely different song if someone else takes it on.

Thanks for watching. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Really great. I'm still partial to These Days but this one is a close second! You really have talent for these types of slower soulful tunes. Man Jackson can write a song. Well done Kyle! Good luck on wifey's interview!!
Ranger, thanks a bundle, pal. I think I like "These Days" the best as well, if only because I think it's one of JB's most meaningful songs. This one was fun as well, even if it has a bit of a lighter feel. I think you're right, though. These mellower songs seem to come much more naturally for me. If anything, they are much easier to fake.

Thanks for watching, as always. The continued support is much appreciated! Wifey's Interview is Friday AM at 10:30 EST. This is the one we want! Hopefully the man upstairs agrees.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

Last edited by kscobie8; 06-16-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
I liked it, Kyle! I'm glad to see you do so more fingerstyle and I liked the combination of picking and strumming. I had a little difficulty hearing the guitar... I could have stood it just a little louder. Nice job, as always.
Thanks, Kerbie! Fingerstyle isn't my forte, but I try. This type of song is nice since I can switch things up and add my strumming in there. I had a feeling the guitar might get lost in this one. Last week was a strummer and the vocals were a bit lost so I fixed my camera angle for this week and the guitar drops too low. I guess I need to keep in mind that for strummers I need the "up high looking down" angle, and for fingerspicking I should use the "down below looking up" camera angle. Perhaps by week #52 I'll have the tedchnique down, yeah? Haha!

Thanks for watching. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frail View Post
Awesome job, Kyle! Some good dynamics in this one.
Thanks Jeremy. Not bad for a quick throw-together (well, more so than usual!) I almost hooked up my amp on this one to boost the guitar up in the mix. One of these days I'll do a good DAW recording to supplement the video's audio track and you guys can actually give an honest opinion.

Thanks for tuning in, man. I appreciate it.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Kyle,
This one ranks in the Scobie Billboard Top Five imho. One of your best vocals, dynamic and yet soulful... on another great song choice!
noledog
Thank you sir Eric-dawg! I'm glad you enjoyed it! This was a good one for singing, for sure. Not 1000% on the playing, but the vocal is among my favorites so far. Especially the first line: "...with which you do your sorcery..." I love it! JB is the man! Yeah, song choice is what it's all about, just like American Idol! Ha! I had someone come up to me after a gig lat weekend and tell me I should be on AI. Nice compliment, but I think I'd hate it. But at least my song choices would be good!

Thanks for watching!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
Thank you sir Eric-dawg! I'm glad you enjoyed it! This was a good one for singing, for sure. Not 1000% on the playing, but the vocal is among my favorites so far. Especially the first line: "...with which you do your sorcery..." I love it! JB is the man! Yeah, song choice is what it's all about, just like American Idol! Ha! I had someone come up to me after a gig lat weekend and tell me I should be on AI. Nice compliment, but I think I'd hate it. But at least my song choices would be good!

Thanks for watching!

Bel isi,
-kyle
Brother I'd have all N.E. Florida votin' for ya and I'd wear out my cell buttons dialing your number to win! But hey your rockin' the Youtube World just fine!
noledog
Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM

Hey Kyle . . . Excellent, one of your very best performances IMO. One thing though . . . that frog on your dresser was kind of freakin' me right out. He just kept lookin' at me so the frog has got to go.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell