The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 PM

Nice job! I have a lot of respect for anyone who can cover TE.
1993 MIM Strat x2
2008 Fender American Standard Strat
Tacoma M1-E Mando

fingerstyle-guitar.com/adam_b._pettit
Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumstrings00 View Post
Nice job! I have a lot of respect for anyone who can cover TE.
Thanks for your compliment. I just received the Emmanuel Labor DVD and plan on working on some new TE songs. I'd still like to find an up close "Ruby's Eyes" too. Thanks - Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Thanks for your compliment. I just received the Emmanuel Labor DVD and plan on working on some new TE songs. I'd still like to find an up close "Ruby's Eyes" too. Thanks - Ed
Hey have fun with the Emmanuel Labor! I'm still looking for a good up close of Ruby's Eyes. I am currently working it out myself. (spent about three hours last night on it) His live at center stage has it but its a live performance and those darned camera guys should really learn to play guitar, they keep switching views right at the critical moments of my questions. You will see Tommy plays his own songs differently a lot also as time passes.
I just finished "papa george", working on "Ruby's Eyes" now and next will be "fingerlakes". fingerlakes is going to be a tough one but looking forward to it.
Of course you should have Mombasa under yout belt, no matter where I am, when I play that particular song everyone asks me what it is and tells me they love it. I was even in a music store trying out a new guitar and I played that and a woman was in there also looking for a guitar and she jumped up and was like "OMG" thats exactly the type of style I've been looking to play. She had never heard of Tommy and I gave her the albums to get which she said she was immediately buying. This woman was an amazing guitar player so I was glad I could impress her with TE's songs. For whatever reasons you will find TE tunes are immediate head turners. Endless road is another head turner I have found. - well they all are I guess.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStingString View Post
Hey have fun with the Emmanuel Labor! I'm still looking for a good up close of Ruby's Eyes. I am currently working it out myself. (spent about three hours last night on it) His live at center stage has it but its a live performance and those darned camera guys should really learn to play guitar, they keep switching views right at the critical moments of my questions. You will see Tommy plays his own songs differently a lot also as time passes.
I just finished "papa george", working on "Ruby's Eyes" now and next will be "fingerlakes". fingerlakes is going to be a tough one but looking forward to it.
Of course you should have Mombasa under yout belt, no matter where I am, when I play that particular song everyone asks me what it is and tells me they love it. I was even in a music store trying out a new guitar and I played that and a woman was in there also looking for a guitar and she jumped up and was like "OMG" thats exactly the type of style I've been looking to play. She had never heard of Tommy and I gave her the albums to get which she said she was immediately buying. This woman was an amazing guitar player so I was glad I could impress her with TE's songs. For whatever reasons you will find TE tunes are immediate head turners. Endless road is another head turner I have found. - well they all are I guess.
I can't wait to start into these. First we're on the road for 4 days and then returning home, then I'll take up learning something on the Labor DVD. I'd like to get something clearer on Ruby's Eyes. I just don't like trying to learn something through tablature, because you don't really know the fingering and positions. When you find Ruby's Eyes close up and broken down, let me know. For now I'm polishing up Angelina and Those Who Wait. Papa George and Since We Met - I am real comfortable with and have them real close to TE's sound. I know what you mean by turning heads. They are not songs you'd normally hear walking into a music store.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Nice Job sir!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 AM

Default Now learning Mombasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack View Post
Nice Job sir!
Thanks Colbyjack. I appreciate the comment. I'm now currently learning Mombasa from the Emmanuel Labor DVD. First day - got most of the finger and hand positions down. As any of TE's songs a major challenge.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Late to this post but just wanted to voice my appreciation as well. I'm an Emmanuel fan and listen to him daily. Wife thinks I'm obsessed. Anyway listened to your songs and was very impressed. I've struggled through a couple of his songs through tablature and it took me, let's just say CONSIDERABLY longer than a week to play them not half as well. You've made quite a dew changes which would normally bother me but didn't at all as they're very tastefully done and the songs still flow so well. I'm just so amazed at the talent I've been exposed to here in such a short time. Thanks so much. I'm getting more and more inspired.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickpat View Post
Late to this post but just wanted to voice my appreciation as well. I'm an Emmanuel fan and listen to him daily. Wife thinks I'm obsessed. Anyway listened to your songs and was very impressed. I've struggled through a couple of his songs through tablature and it took me, let's just say CONSIDERABLY longer than a week to play them not half as well. You've made quite a dew changes which would normally bother me but didn't at all as they're very tastefully done and the songs still flow so well. I'm just so amazed at the talent I've been exposed to here in such a short time. Thanks so much. I'm getting more and more inspired.
Thanks trickpat,
I listen and try to learn from TE daily. He's coming to Des Moines this Fall. I'm planning on getting tickets and would love to meet him backstage. If there are any changes from the way TE does it, let's just say, I'm still trying on those parts. I've learned that some more challenging parts can be covered up, but when you do that it just doesn't sound the same. So then I go back listen and adjust. I've actually made some changes closer to TE in "those Who Wait" as well as the others that I've recorded. Thanks for the great comment, Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Crafter TM-035 w JJB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell