The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Default How to play an F chord?

I can't seem to get this chord down at all. If I hold down the 2 high strings on the first fret properly, then my 2 and 3 finger can't curl enough to touch their respective strings and only their strings. If I get my 2 and 3 finger in place then I can't hold down the strings on the first fret.

Even using both hands to help position the fingers I can't get it to work. Unless, I use 1 and 2 on the first fret then fingers 3 and 4 on the 2 and 3 fret, but that isn't comfortable and doesn't seem practical. Ive been playing a couple months and feel this shouldn't be that hard. I've tried angling my fingers every which way to no avail. My thumb is towards the bottom of guitar neck. I am decent and can get barre chords at the first and 2 fret. I could just play an F barre chord I guess, but to play a regular F chord would be a lot easier I think. I like to play a lot of oldies so I play a lot of Cs Am's G7's which is right around the F chord. I am average height and certainly don't have short or fat fingers. Any help is appreciated. I am self taught at this point so asking a teacher is not an option. Every video I've seen shows where to put the fingers....I know where to put them I just can't lol.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Try it with a capo on the 2nd fret. If you can make the chord there, your string height at the nut needs adjusting.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Yeah, I remember way, way back when, when I first started playing, that chord gave me fits. But, like all the chords (barre's especially), just takes practice, practice, practice to build up the finger strength. After a while, you'll wonder why it was such a big deal. I usually barre the F (E fingering) 'cause I like to hear that F in the bass. Keep pluggin' and force those dang fingers to do what you want!!!

BTW - in my mind there are no "regular" chords. Fingerings change as the music demands. There are chords all over that neck!!

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM

It really is about strength in the hands. I start every practice session with hand strengthening exercises. I find the stronger my hands get the easier everything else seems to be. Don't let it get you down. I remember B major drove me up the wall. Over time it just comes you'll look back and won't believe the ease you can play it.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud4feet View Post
Yeah, I remember way, way back when, when I first started playing, that chord gave me fits. But, like all the chords (barre's especially), just takes practice, practice, practice to build up the finger strength. After a while, you'll wonder why it was such a big deal. I usually barre the F (E fingering) 'cause I like to hear that F in the bass. Keep pluggin' and force those dang fingers to do what you want!!!

BTW - in my mind there are no "regular" chords. Fingerings change as the music demands. There are chords all over that neck!!
I guess my vocabulary is off lol but that is the first way I heard to play an F....so in my mind forever now that is a regular F chord.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy31 View Post
I guess my vocabulary is off lol but that is the first way I heard to play an F....so in my mind forever now that is a regular F chord.
I understand. That is the way I learned it (from books), so I guess you could say it was "regular". But I've barre'd it so much, I guess I consider that my "regular" F chord!! Semantics!!!

Anyway, either way, both fingerings will test your finger strength. Just keep pluggin'!!!!!

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM

In all honesty, it's easier for me to bar in an "A" shape than an "E" shape, so I'll play an "F" as an "A" shape up at the 8th and 10th frets, or I'll play a top-4 "F". I can't play a full "F" at the 1st fret to save my life.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Agree completely...."Want a buzz? Strum an F"
st
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

If you don't fret the 1st string and just let it ring open you get a Fmaj7. Couple of years from now when you start doing jazz chords you will be using the Fmaj7 all the time.

Up to you, do what ever you thing best.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 PM

How deep behind the Pine Curtain, are you, Malcolm?
st
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

Every chord will take time. Not to worry.

Some of the difficulty may be the thumb: where is the thumb as you try to do the F ? Experiment by shifting your hand (by the wrist) so it sneaks back behind the neck a little more. That will rotate your fingers a little and you may find they drop on the strings more easily where they should.
"The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others--in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees." - Marcel Proust.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM

i play it where it's shaped kinda like a C chord... but with the middle finger shifted down to the 3rd string, pinkie finger on the 3rd fret of the 4th string, and with the thumb hitting the 1st fret.

a lot of people i know play this chord barred though. either way it's a pretty complicated chord for new players. =/ hope this helps some.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 PM

I think you really should have your action checked. This chord should not be difficult. The barred F can be for a new player, but this one should not be a challenge if your guitar is set up correctly. You might consider getting a nylon string guitar while you are learning or even stringing yours with nylons for a while. It will not sound the same and it is not a long term solution as they are the wrong strings for your guitar, but it might help for one string cycle or so.

Certainly you should also look at the string gauge you are using and the conditions of the strings themselves. Are they old strings? Old strings can be like bailing wire to play.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Memphis View Post
I think you really should have your action checked.
Hi Snoopy...
Billy may have this right...I teach guitar, and many instruments do not have the nut cut properly and it will inhibit your ability to play the F either as a barre chord or in the ''regular'' form you describe.

If you have a capo, put it on the 2nd or 3rd fret, and then if you can play the ''F'' chord, your action needs adjusting. If not, then time and diligence can build up the technique till you can easily accomplish it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

As already mentioned string height at the nut is critical. If you can barre that shape at the second fret when the first fret is capoed then have the string height adjusted.

Once that is checked out try to barre the first fret with the index finger only on the frets. Get a clean sound on the high 1st, 2nd and low 6th strings. Don't worry if the 3rd and 4th strings buzz a little. Getting that correct is the major part of it. Then just apply the other fingers to complete the F chord.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-28-2009 at 11:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write