The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-03-2002, 03:26 PM

Default Piedmont Blues

I've been working (not too hard) on learning some acoustic blues licks. I really love the style that I've heard referred to as "Piedmont Blues." This is the alternating bass, thumbpickin' style of blues guitar made famous by such great old players as Mississippi John Hurt and the recently (and much too soon) departed John Jackson. Can anyone recommend a good instructional book or video or both? I bought John Jackson's video and I love it just to hear him play and tell stories, but from an instructional perspective it's pretty poor. I also bought one of Woody Mann's video tapes but that didn't do it for me either.

Maybe it's me that's the problem, but I just KNOW that there's some method of teaching that will allow this ******* (me) to come away pickin' like it was 1931 and I was the king of the Delta. Oh yeah, if the Devil's out there listening, are you still making any of those "sell your soul for fame and fortune" deals?
Old 10-03-2002, 03:51 PM

NFP, I've been playing a lot of Mississippi John Hurt lately, as he seems to be my teacher's favorite. Anyhow he has a cool book that's all kind of hand written tab, unfortunately, it's out of print . Anyhow, the tab is written pretty much note for note from the recordings that I've heard, so I would think if you listen to the CD's and get some tab from olga or elsewhere, you would be able to pick it up pretty quickly. I have found most of it to be pretty basic, at least at my slow speed. He just speeds everything up about 1000% and adds some embellishments here & there. Blast to play, though.
Good Luck.
I'll get you the name of the book, maybe you could find a used copy somewhere. Or check http://sheetmusicplus.com for other books.

Just found this book! Check it out!
Blast these links! Just search under Mississippi John Hurt @sheetmusicplus.com

Last edited by TaylorBear; 10-03-2002 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:00 PM

Can't get those links to work for me.

OK, I guess you know that.

I'll check out the SheetMusic site. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:44 AM

NFP

I have this book which contains 2 CD's of MJH tunes. Great book and great tabs. Not really lessons but to listen to the original tunes may help.

http://guitarvideos.com/books/5002.htm

I have planned to buy the two DVD lessons taught by John Miller for Christmas...

http://guitarvideos.com/video/000hurt.htm
Old 10-04-2002, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Great music!!

I have two suggestions:

1. Stefan Grossman (http://guitarvideos.com) just released 2 MJH videos. I don't know if it's the same material as the CD + Book. The booklets with the TAB are available for free download from the website. I have two of his videos. They're ok. My only complaint is that they make tremendous leaps in difficulty as you go from one song to another. One minute you're on My Creolle Bell in G, the next on See See Rider at 120 bpm in the key of A. Yikes! My fingers can't move that fast yet. So, I've set the video aside for awhile.

2. Woody Mann has a great book of TAB, which I have at home, and am using to learn "Ain't No Tellin'" right now, it has Blind Willie McTell on the cover, and the title is.....thinking..........."The Anthology of Blues Guitar"...I think. It was published in the early 90s, and it is likely out of print. I found it on half.com or ebay or somewhere like that. The book has ~30-40 songs in it, ranging from MJH to Blind Blake to McTell to Charlie Patton... A nice touch is a seperate Table of Contents that lists the songs according to Key and Tuning. Full lyrics are in the appendix (with some errors).

I found Mann's book here: http://www.avalonguitar.com/genre/Acoustic_Blues

This page also has "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar
by Arnie Berle & Mark Galbo" I used that book last year to learn the basics of alternating, independent thumb, the critical skill required for this music, IMHO. I lucked into this book. It is excellent. The commentary on the CD really helped a lot. There's a fun song in that book called "Beekman Blues" that I like to play when I'm in Dropped D.

3. OK. Three suggestions. Check out this book: http://www.guitarprinciples.com It has helped me a lot.

I had never heard of Jackson until he passed away, and NPR did a story on him. I have one of his CDs (last one?), and I listen to it quite a bit. He had a great touch & a great voice.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!

Last edited by Guitar Dad; 10-04-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:03 PM

Hey, GuitarDad, I'm working on Ain't no tellin' right now too! Comming along pretty well. Just have to work on gaining some speed while maintaining some degree of acuracy.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorBear
Hey, GuitarDad, I'm working on Ain't no tellin' right now too! Comming along pretty well. Just have to work on gaining some speed while maintaining some degree of acuracy.
Yes. That song has to be played at full speed to sound best (same for all of Hurt's music).

I've been very focused on the chord change from C to F. My secind finger doesn't always want to cooperate.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell