The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

View Poll Results: How often do you play beyond the 7th fret ?
Frequently 132 60.00%
Occasionally 57 25.91%
Rarely 28 12.73%
Never 3 1.36%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I voted based on a acoustic capo'd on the 7th... maybe a jumbo or dread sounds ok..but my OM doesn't
+1, I play a few songs with a 7th fret capo. Gives the guitar a completely different tone.

Without a capo, I'll still play a few chords above the 7th fret. Love the tone of the Em barre chord up there.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Does putting a capo on the 7th and playing cowboy chords count. *

And why would you want to play above the 7th fret anyway? That's where I hang my washing!

As for cutaways, well, lets just not even go there

* I actually do have one song in my set where I do capo at the 7th. And one song from the 6th fret capo, and one from the 5th, quite a few from the 4th, loads from the 3rd, even more from the second, and even a couple with first fret capo. In fact, I think I only play two songs from the nut at present
I'm with Robin.
all my flat tops are 12 fretters, but I have ONE song which I capo at 5th, the rest are open , or capo II or IV.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I voted occasionally, but that may be subject to change.

I learn other's songs and arrangements, I don't compose (no idea of how to do that, I'm a paint by numbers player). At my current skill level and genre of choice (country blues) I don't spend a lot of time in the upper regions, sometimes above 7, hardly ever above 12. I prefer the tone I get closer to the nut.

I'm about to start studying ragtime piano arranged for guitar. My teacher showed me the book last week (Allan Jaffe, author). First thing he said was this isn't for beginners (not sure if I should take that personally ). The first thing I noticed was the tab went up to the 17th fret. Yikes, I didn't know there were that many. I'm not a fan the cutaway look, but it sure seems like a good excuse to give in to GAS
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Why would I want a keyboard with an octave and a half?

Why not explore the range of one’s instrument.

Lots of reasons, some genres don’t need it at all. Lots of reasons for that too.

If it’s good music, it’s good with me. There’s lots of good music “above the 5th fret”, apparently just no money..... 🤔
Old 02-23-2021, 11:51 PM

Above the 7th fret is fun.....but it takes a little more finesse to keep tone. It also helps to use your thumb to keep a strong bass line going whilst your exploring the upper octaves playing finger style.

I have spent the last couple of COVID lockdown months exploring this. Lots of fun but I have lots to learn.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Wherever the tab takes me.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:10 PM

I had trouble interpreting the poll question. Basically, it's true that the higher up the fretboard you go, the less time I spend there, and this tendency gets more pronounced after about the 7th fret. But if I play for half an hour, I will probably spend at least a few minutes of that time, cumulatively, up in the 7-to-12 region (above 12 is pretty much "electric only" territory for me, with rare exceptions).

So "frequently" in the sense that I rarely go through a whole playing session without going above the 7th fret, "occasionally" in the sense that most of the time, I'm below there.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 02-24-2021, 02:25 PM

I took it to mean "playing where the strings are too short and the frets are too close together." In the clip I posted earlier, I first worked that out on ukulele, where the strings are too short and the frets are too close together all the time.

Couch Standards
Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 PM

If there's an "Above the Seventh Fret Hall of Fame" this guy should be in it. Electric, but still. And he was in the actual band, not a session player.

Couch Standards
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
I stay at the pointy end of the instrument as much as possible because electric guitars have good, sometimes even great tone on the upper frets. Acoustics don't.
New acoustics can sound quite harsh above the 7th fret, after a few years they start to mellow out after that they get quite sweet .
Old 02-26-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If there's an "Above the Seventh Fret Hall of Fame" this guy should be in it. Electric, but still. And he was in the actual band, not a session player.

Derek Leckenby was a really good guitarist. While the producers used session musicians on many of the Hermits' hits, Leckenby got to play lead on some of them, including "I'm Henry the 8th, I Am," which has a kickin' solo.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 02-26-2021, 11:56 AM

As many have said already, there's a whole neck, why not use some goodly portion of it when it pleases you or makes some interesting music.

To be honest, I don't play a lot of acoustic guitar above about 7 to 9 fret range, but this was asked on "play and write" so I didn't take it as an acoustic guitar only question. I did used to play a lot of "acoustic lead guitar" once upon a time. It can be a nice contrast with chords in a lower position. The acoustics I play don't have cutaways and I'd reach over the body for some notes back then.

On electric I'm up there for single notes all the time, but my father used to remind me that there were good notes down in the lower register, and I'll often tell myself when creating lead lines to play some stuff below the 6th fret and to use those low E and A strings more often.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write