The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
We defined it like this,. Just a gig no money but being paid made you ProMusician lol.
But a gig is a gig no matter what [emoji6]

Yep. If you’re playing outside your room or studio with an audience then that’s a gig.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:02 AM

Hmm.

First gig and first paid gig had to be with the band I was in during college, late 80's, Ann Arbor. I'm not positive we got paid, though, so it might have been the covers band I was in after college around Athens, GA.

Somewhere along the line I realized managing myself and an acoustic was a lot easier than the cat herding required to maintain a 4 or 5 man band.

Lots of gigs since then, not lots of money, glad I kept the day job but I can't put the guitars down either.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:37 AM

We were in college and a group asked me to join. We rehearsed endlessly and actually sounded good...but this was the first gig for me. We were going to play on a REAL stage, with curtains and lights, and, well, you know. I was really having an issue believing the most terrible thing in the entire world was going was going to happen. I could see myself running down the street screaming.....I went to the stage person and told him that he could not raise the curtain in any manner, until the music started playing. He seemed perplexed so i simply let him know that there would bo NO MUSIC unless the curtain was lifted AFTER we began to play.
I was thinking that if i was already playing when the audience was visible i would be focused on the music enough to hold off the horrible death that was coming for attempting to play in public. We started, curtain came up and it was amazing! Once you understand that you CAN perform, things change. Performing for folks that appreciate music is one of the better things one can do in life.
One old guy’s opinion....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write